•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

The Moon is not a solid

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#1 View2

View2

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Vancouver, WA USA

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:49 PM

Sometimes at night I listen to late night talk radio to go to sleep. Last night they had a guest on there who is absolutely crazy. He said the moon was a luminary and not a body and that he regards it as the Old Testament does whatever that means. He began Imaging it and noticed atmospheric distortions that he called lunar waves. He quit his job and image this for 4 years. He thinks it's a conspiracy that the astronomers aren't telling us about this mysterious lunar wave. He claims it's also been filmed when looking at Jupiter and Saturn. He doesn't believe we've been to the moon and claims it is not possible because it's not a solid body. He went on I was wondering if anybody else caught that. Just one of those baffling things I wonder how he he would explain the phases of the moon when the Earth casts its shadow on it if it is Luminous and emitting light rather than reflecting it. Good God this guy was very hard to grasp....but he knew mathematics and chemistry and he sounded smart.

#2 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:58 PM

https://www.youtube....UDS4c3Cs&t=131s

#3 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 15 October 2019 - 04:01 PM

Nothing intelligent has ever been said on talk radio.

#4 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 15 October 2019 - 04:01 PM

Why do they let these people on the radio?  Pre-Galileo, people commonly thought the moon was not solid.  That is was merely

a luminary light in the sky.   Galileo's telescope and sketches proved that it had mountains and valleys and was indeed a solid. 

This whack-job on the radio belongs in the line with the Flat-Earthers.  Has he never looked through a telescope?

P.S. - that SG Collins guy in the YouTube video is awesome ! :)

Edited by petert913, 15 October 2019 - 04:08 PM.

#5 OleCuss

OleCuss

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 15 October 2019 - 04:16 PM

OK. . .  I've not watched any relevant video or podcast.  Too much to do.

Of course things look wavy when he looks at the Moon!  There's atmospheric turbulence and all too often we have tube currents as well.

Total bunk but I'll bet that as an amateur astronomer it was entertaining to listen to it!

Sorta reminds me of years ago I was traveling and listening to a show called (IIRC) "Handel on the Law".  There was a lady who wanted to sue an ER or physician because they told her that her UA didn't show that she had a urinary tract infection.  After all, she got a copy of the lab report and it showed "sq epi" present and that was technically abnormal!  Of course, "sq epi" effectively means skin cells and suggests that she provided a somewhat contaminated specimen which means that even if she'd had a few bacteria and such - it still likely would have been an effectively negative test.

People who are determined to believe or to disbelieve something will find an excuse to do so.

#6 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 15 October 2019 - 04:22 PM

Sometimes at night I listen to late night talk radio to go to sleep. Last night they had a guest on there who is absolutely crazy. He said the moon was a luminary and not a body and that he regards it as the Old Testament does whatever that means. He began Imaging it and noticed atmospheric distortions that he called lunar waves. He quit his job and image this for 4 years. He thinks it's a conspiracy that the astronomers aren't telling us about this mysterious lunar wave. He claims it's also been filmed when looking at Jupiter and Saturn. He doesn't believe we've been to the moon and claims it is not possible because it's not a solid body. He went on I was wondering if anybody else caught that. Just one of those baffling things I wonder how he he would explain the phases of the moon when the Earth casts its shadow on it if it is Luminous and emitting light rather than reflecting it. Good God this guy was very hard to grasp....but he knew mathematics and chemistry and he sounded smart.

You are talking about Crow777 or one of his disciples.

I've followed his history from his first YT posts....

He started as another sky-watcher interested in using a scope and filming stuff.

He lived in Cali and probably was located near a NWS balloon launching site.

He even tells of his beginning interest in "phenomena" -ie he couldn't explain it------

all just weather balloons transiting the Moon.

He realized he could be a following by sensationalizing his captures instead of using good research methods and scientific processes to explain what he saw.

He started hitting it big with post counts after he captured his first "lunar wave."

He then realized he was collecting a following that would finance his life,

so he quit his job.

He added to his alt-world view by adopting the chemtrails conspiracy, which added more followers to his site.

He then tells about his epiphanies of how "everything is not as it seems" from obscure russian writers,etc.....

He realized with his conspiracy liking followers he could branch out (since YT was cracking down on viewer manipulative content),

that he (so persecuted by the big brother of YT and the secret government) started his own website to host his cult ideology as a bone fides cult leader.

Oh and he doesn't think satellites are real, that you can trust anything NASA says, also the ISS is fake.

He had a few other amateur observers that also filmed lunar waves and had them buying in for a while but one wisely enough realized he could image the ISS and proved to himself Crow was just dishing worthless content to add viewers to his channel...

He moved out to Delaware and funny enough hasn't filmed a single UFO transiting the Moon. Most likely he is now no where near a NWS weather balloon launch site.

He now only post teasers to his YT channel and sells his complete talks via his own website to his unfortunate flock willing to pay to learn about his latest conspiracy theory.....

I'm not sure if he is somewhat delusional due to an illness or is knowingly using everything as a con-artist bit,

but yes he is very intelligent and it is scary that non-discerning listeners can be led astray.

Also he must have previously been in some form of media because he is very savvy about getting booked on fringe radio shows to spout his alt-view.

There are a few Crow-cult buster channels on YT that have in the past spent energies to debunk his theories....

I haven't browsed either channel lately. Since it's all talk and no more filming the sky,

its all boring to me now.

FWIW I'm not a supporter, just followed as an interesting subject in observing the sociological phenomenon in the development of a conspiracy theorist...

#7 vtornado

vtornado

Vanguard

• Loc: Northern Illinois

Posted 15 October 2019 - 04:31 PM

What is this guy's explanation for tides?

#8 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 15 October 2019 - 04:41 PM

well I dont believe in alot of this stuff    lunar waves  conspiracy nonsense

I know we went to the moon btw   I have the 50 year old pics.........

The moon is hollow     is not a new idea   his use of the moon is not solid is just shameless take off on the old hollow moon thing    fun    funny    laugh at stuff 

Meanwhile      when NASA crashed the 3rd stage of the Saturn V on the moon there was supposedly a report that there was a ringing that kept up for quite a long period.....

https://er.jsc.nasa.gov/seh/pg15.htm

from Apollo 13:

.At 7:21 p.m. Tuesday, the spacecraft swung behind the Moon, lost contact with Earth and passed 164 miles above the lunar surface. Haise and Swigert, who had never been so close and might never get closer, snapped photos like a couple of tourists. At 7:49 the spacecraft emerged on the other side and was again picked up by tracking stations.

This conversation took place:

SC--Houston, Aquarius.

CAPCOM--Aquarius, Houston.

SC--The view out there is fantastic... You can see where we're zooming off.

Apollo 13 was headed homeward. Moments later the 15-ton spent third stage of the Saturn V launch vehicle crashed into the Moon, as planned.

It occurred at 8:09 p.m. EST, April 14. The S-IVB struck the Moon with a force equivalent to 11 1/2 tons of TNT. It hit 85 miles west northwest of the site where the Apollo 12 astronauts had set up their seismometer. Scientists on Earth said, "the Moon rang like a bell."

Back in November 1969, the Apollo 12 astronauts had sent their Lunar Module crash- ing into the Moon following their return to the command craft after the lunar landing mission. That Lunar Module struck with a force of one ton of TNT. The shock waves built up to a peak in eight minutes and con- tinued for nearly an hour.

The seismic signals produced by the impact of s-IVB were 20 to 30 times greater and four times longer than those resulting from the LM crash. Peak intensity occurred in 7 minutes.

all good fun speculating

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 15 October 2019 - 04:45 PM.

#9 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 15 October 2019 - 04:59 PM

Everyone knows it's made of green cheese! The Apollo astronauts are still eating grilled cheese sandwiches from the stash they brought back!

FC  

#10 D_talley

D_talley

Gemini

• Loc: Albuquerque, New Mexico

Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:01 PM

Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding, the phases of the moon are not caused by the shadow of the earth. Only during a lunar eclipse is the earth shadow in play. 

#11 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:05 PM

Making stupid people famous is a problem for our entire extended society. Many outlandish thoughts put forth by fools do not rate repeating but are better left to shrivel and fade away unremarked.

#12 Astroman007

Astroman007

Cosmos

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:31 PM

#13 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Aurora

Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:56 PM

..... Just one of those baffling things I wonder how he he would explain the phases of the moon when the Earth casts its shadow on it if it is Luminous and emitting light rather than reflecting it. .......

You have to be careful when challenging others opinions. This excerpt from your original post seems to claim the Moon's phases are caused by the Earth's shadow. Phases have nothing to do with the Earth's shadow. Lunar eclipses on the other hand....I won't go into details here, but it would make a wonderful YouTube video.   How would you explain the phases observed on Venus? Perhaps an invisible moon is casting a shadow?

Grey

#14 Cali

Cali

Apollo

• Loc: Bay Area

Posted 15 October 2019 - 06:00 PM

Here's a 2002 clip of Buzz Aldrin's (Age 72) response to an accusation made by one of the tin foil hat crowd.

- Cal

Edited by Cali, 15 October 2019 - 06:02 PM.

#15 Francopoli

Francopoli

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio Valley, USA

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:06 PM

Not even 150 years ago, if you did not know where the sun and moon were in the sky, have a very detailed knowledge of the constellations and night sky? You would likely starve.  Some 1/2 of people in the US back then worked on farms and ranches.

Today working a few hours of minimum wage and you can have a week's worth of calories delivered to you.

These people are, in my opinion, proof that humanity is moving, slowly, in the right direction.  Let's hope we don't regress too far!

#16 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:45 PM

Why even listen to the babblings of an obviously insane person?  I would change the station.

#17 DoodahMan

DoodahMan

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:11 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=Ug8aM9v40Sg

#18 EJN

EJN

Skylab

• Loc: Between what is and what's not there

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:09 AM

Everyone knows it's made of green cheese! The Apollo astronauts are still eating grilled cheese sandwiches from the stash they brought back!

FC

New research indicates it is made from Cheeze-Whiz.

#19 airbleeder

airbleeder

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Powder Springs, Georgia

Posted 17 October 2019 - 01:48 PM

A lot of people sound smart. Some are. Some not so smart.

#20 Jeffmar

Jeffmar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: salt lake city, utah

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:50 PM

There have always been people who can't accept current knowledge. Many of these people have been misled by friends and family of like mind. A few of these people might know something we don't. You know, guys like Galileo, Albert Einstein, and Edwin Hubble.

It shocked me when a couple of guys, who came to a public star party my club sponsored, asked if I thought the moon landings were real. I really didn't know there were people who thought that. I guess I was as naive as they were.

#21 tchandler

tchandler

Vanguard

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:45 PM

I attended a short course in the U.S. once with a fellow that took flash photo in his darkened hotel room at night and was convinced that the lens flares he was seeing in the images were spirits. Odd, to be sure. But I considered him to be “mostly harmless”, like Douglas Adams considered the Earth to be.

#22 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:54 PM

The same idiots who don't believe the moon landings believe these other things, like they say Kennedy was killed by the government, the government staged 9-11, school shootings didn't happen, and a myriad of other nonsense.  If they started spouting off that stuff to me, I would get away fast.  If they were on my turf, I would order them gone, and never return.  The liquid moon thing is the same kind of crazy the flat earthers preach.  I put them in the same class with the vile holocaust deniers.  Some of them probably deny that also.

Edited by John Fitzgerald, 18 October 2019 - 10:47 PM.

#23 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:17 PM

Then there's the conspiracy theory that NASA faked the Moon landings actually on the lunar surface itself. Those crazy NASA fakers! Although that was probably fake news. 

How does anyone know if fake news is fake?

#24 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 19 October 2019 - 10:25 PM

Then there's the conspiracy theory that NASA faked the Moon landings actually on the lunar surface itself. Those crazy NASA fakers! Although that was probably fake news. 

How does anyone know if fake news is fake?

I'm confused. Didn't you post the link above in post #2?????

People actually have the ability to fact-check information by doing research into primary sources,

and also can test things for themselves......

Strange enough, even though it is so easy to have access to research that took so much effort in the past,

(now available at one's literal fingertips),

people are now so lazy they can't even bother to verify biased info on social media and instead swallow it up because it fits nicely into their own echo chambers of opinion....

Confirmation bias is an error of an analyst when their brain subconsciously only selects and notices information that fits into their schema of opinion/belief/biased interpretation of the situation.

https://en.wikipedia...nfirmation_bias

A great illustration of the power of Confirmation Bias is the crazy dispute among people over whether to vaccinate their children.

It's easy to put NASA deniers into the "conspiracy tin-foil hat people category,"

but when you see perfectly rational and intelligence people under the spell of misinformation about vaccinations

https://www.webmd.co...ield-autism-faq

one can really question humanity.......

We all have weaknesses in the way our brain handles information (take optical illusions for example),

and cognition dissonance,

https://en.wikipedia...tive_dissonance

Being aware of thinking weaknesses and having the humility to acknowledge we might not be the expert on everything just because we read some quick article on the internet,

is the first step in recovery......

#25 Dynan

Dynan

Gemini

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:07 PM

Just to make sure there is no misunderstanding, the phases of the moon are not caused by the shadow of the earth. Only during a lunar eclipse is the earth shadow in play. 

I actually have a wise, old friend who took it personally when I told him his theory of Earth shadow for Moon phases wasn't correct.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics