•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Star Nest 2.0

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 descott12

descott12

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Charlotte, NC

Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:07 PM

My previous "observatory" was a deck on my garage roof with a pier that I could access thru a hatch in the roof. I called it my Star Nest. You may have seen it here.

https://www.cloudyni...st#entry9657075

I thought it was quite clever and  it worked well but I am getting too old to crawl thru a tunnel with my gear. I really wanted something 100% permanent.

So I created Version 2.0. It is a dormer with a roll-off roof. You can see the wheels that it rolls up the roof on. It is about 4 feet on a side so it has just enough room for my scope to be permanently mounted and all my extra gadgets are right at hand. My "control" room is just 3 feet away with a desk and computer under the roof.

When needed, I can raise and lower the scope using the built-in car jack and it remains remarkably level going up and down. I am really loving this.  Just had a good rain and no leaks!!!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2771.JPG
  • IMG_2783.JPG

Edited by descott12, 15 October 2019 - 05:11 PM.

• drprovi57, eros312, roelb and 7 others like this

#2 descott12

descott12

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:08 PM

A few more pictures

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2766.JPG
  • IMG_2770.JPG

Edited by descott12, 15 October 2019 - 05:08 PM.

• saguaro, NikhilJoshi, Astroman007 and 1 other like this

#3 Astroman007

Astroman007

Cosmos

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 15 October 2019 - 05:53 PM

waytogo.gif Love it!

• descott12 likes this

#4 brinkmak

brinkmak

Lift Off

• Loc: CA

Posted 08 November 2019 - 08:07 PM

Just came across this post and thought I'd give a shout out for actually building something that I've been daydreaming about! Car jack "elevator" is very interesting solution. Nicely done! bow.gif

• descott12 likes this

#5 arrowspace90

arrowspace90

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: United States

Posted Today, 11:33 AM

Being able to observe from home is a HUGE advantage, obviously.  Equipment stays set up and ready.  If you have a problem or just get cold, or both, take a break inside and consult the computer while warming up.

My sky is too light polluted to make even the driveway a realistic alternative, plus houses and trees get in the way.  When I inherit a large fortune (?)  I am going to buy a second home with an airstrip in SW New Mexico and purchase a private jet

#6 descott12

descott12

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted Today, 11:49 AM

Yes, it is so nice. I live in Bortle 6.5 zone and I do have some significant obstructions due to my house and trees but I think I can see about 2/3 of the sky, at least above 30 degrees.

I don't due much visual other than solar (almost all EAA) so the LP doesn't hinder me too much.
It is awesome to be able to just pop the top and start playing. No setup, no breakdown, and I have a comfortable chair with a heater.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics