•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Moon/Planet(/Sun?) video file size

planet astrophotography solar moon
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gfryhof

gfryhof

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:43 PM

Hi all,

I'm very new to astrophotography. I have a Celestron NexStar 8SE with a f/6.3 focal reducer. In terms of cameras I have a ZWO ASI183MM for deep space (I am realizing I probably should have gotten the ASI1600MM) and ZWO 290MC (maybe should have gotten ASI224) for planetary imaging.

I'm not saying the camera was best suited, but I recently tried using the 183MM on this setup to image the moon using SharpCap, which I believe at shorter exposures defaults to saving files as a .avi movie file rather than individual images.

In my naivete, I took a 5 minute video of the moon a couple of weeks ago using the native 183MM camera resolution (5496 x 3672) and 1x binning....I ended up with a 40 gigabyte file size. I'm sure if I had kept imaging for longer I would have ended up crashing my cheap-o ($300) windows imaging laptop (because at the end of the day I decided it was better to buy a cheap windows imaging laptop than to try to get stuff compatible with a MAC).

Bottom line, is everyone getting huge file sizes like this (40+ GB) for moon/planetary/solar imaging (anything with short exposure time that is saved as .avi), or is something wrong with my settings -- should I be imaging at lower resolution???

Given the large (>40 GB) file size, I wasn't able to even begin to stack my .avi file using autostakkert, let alone move into PixInsight for further processing.

What I am doing wrong? See attached for one frame of my moon attempt frown.gifhttps://astrob.in/bpncnl/0/

Thank you for your help,

-George

Edited by gfryhof, 15 October 2019 - 08:02 PM.

#2 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 15 October 2019 - 07:51 PM

I don't shoot at native resolution. With planets I mostly do 800x600. I live in a place with poor seeing, so I am running with very short exposure times. I also never take a 5 minute video, unless I am trying to capture a ISS transit or something like that.

#3 gfryhof

gfryhof

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:06 PM

Thank you, Jim!

So how long are your typical videos? The lower resolution makes a lot of sense and was my first thought about what to fix. How long of a video is enough for stacking with Autostakkert (if that's what you use)?

#4 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:37 PM

Thank you, Jim!

So how long are your typical videos? The lower resolution makes a lot of sense and was my first thought about what to fix. How long of a video is enough for stacking with Autostakkert (if that's what you use)?

I normally capture 500 or 1000 frames, depending on the seeing.

#5 DSOs4Me

DSOs4Me

Explorer 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:16 PM

I just shot the moon last night, I believe 700 frames and it is only 8GB.  I used a ASI183MM Pro in Sharpcap. With the "Output Format" set to AUTO mine always defaults to a .SER file under 2 seconds. Did you have Mono 8 or16 selected ?

#6 gfryhof

gfryhof

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:01 AM

These were my camera settings:

[ZWO ASI183MM Pro]
Pan=0
Tilt=0
Output Format=AVI files (*.avi)
Binning=1
Capture Area=5496x3672
Colour Space=MONO8
Hardware Binning=Off
High Speed Mode=Off
Turbo USB=100(Auto)
Flip=None
Frame Rate Limit=Maximum
Gain=250
Exposure=0.001485
Timestamp Frames=Off
Brightness=8
Temperature=30.5
Cooler Power=0
Target Temperature=0
Cooler=Off
Auto Exp Max Gain=225
Auto Exp Max Exp M S=30
Auto Exp Target Brightness=100
Banding Threshold=35
Banding Suppression=0
Apply Flat=None
Subtract Dark=None
#Black Point
Display Black Point=0
#MidTone Point
Display MidTone Point=0.5
#White Point
Display White Point=1
TimeStamp=2019-10-05T01:39:02.6320504Z
SharpCapVersion=3.2.6086.0

#7 RedLionNJ

RedLionNJ

Soyuz

• Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA

Posted 16 October 2019 - 04:38 PM

Common practice is to use a reduced ROI (region of interest) for planetary imaging. If we ignore the moon and the sun (for now), there's really no reason (with good tracking) to go above a 400 x 400 pixel region. That means each frame (let's assume 24 bits per pixel) can be 400 x 400 x 3 = 0.48 megabytes.  So even with 3000 frames, we're only talking around 1.4 gigabytes.  This can be fairly typical for planetary.

HOWEVER, when we bring in the sun or the moon - that's a lot more real estate on the sensor. Something like the 183 chip has a LOT of pixels.  We're generally restricted by the USB bandwidth in this case, though - so maybe 16 frames a second at full resolution is reasonable. File sizes will still grow dramatically fast, though. Just be really careful and only keep around data which you consider "good".

In a typical planetary imaging evening, I can bring in around 200-250 GB of video data.   And that's after culling the atrocious recordings.

We're talking big data, for sure.

#8 gfryhof

gfryhof

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2019 - 04:45 PM

Thank you, @RedLionNJ, that's very helpful!  So you may accumulate 200-250GB of data in a given night, but how large might your individual file sizes be? Maybe it's just a function of my processing laptop's limited capabilities (8GB RAM, Macbook Air with SSD), but Autostakkert was unable to stack such a large .avi file size.

Do you obtain multiple smaller video files?  Or just have a computer that can handle the file sizes?

Thanks again.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: planet, astrophotography, solar, moon

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics