•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questar User Group on Yahoo Is Going Away

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:40 PM

I just saw this on the home page of the Questar Users Group (and that of another Yahoo Group that I'm a member of):

"Attention: Starting December 14, 2019 Yahoo Groups will no longer host user created content on its sites. New content can no longer be uploaded after October 28, 2019."

There's a link to learn more. It takes you to a page with text that reads, "Yahoo has made the decision to no longer allow users to upload content to the Yahoo Groups site. Beginning October 21, you won't be able to upload any more content to the site, and as of December 14 all previously posted content on the site will be permanently removed. You'll have until that date to save anything you've uploaded."

If you're a member of this group and want to save any content off of it onto your own computer, now is definitely the time.

It's a real shame, because there's a ton of collective wisdom about everything Questar related on that Yahoo Group.

#2 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 15 October 2019 - 08:54 PM

There's an insane amount of material there, how does one quickly and efficiently save it all? Could it possibly be moved to another website? How are others saving it? Should one save everything or just select parts? My mind is wobbling at the mind-boggling prospect of trying to sort through and save the crown jewels hidden in the haystack of information.

#3 cbwerner

cbwerner

Bicycle Repairman

• Administrators
  • Loc: Maidens, VA

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:57 PM

Wow. That's mind blowing. I may have been a member there even before joining here. Wow.

Haven't checked the link yet, but hopefully there's an easy way to save the old content.

#4 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 16 October 2019 - 02:17 AM

That is sad news. I've just checked and saw many Yahoo astro-equipment related user groups suffer this same faith.

Apparently it has nothing to do with group posting activity, as it affects both busy groups and quiet ones.

Generally, Yahoo shows VERY low activity on astro-equipment related groups. With something like 0-4 posts per month over the last year or so according to their own statistics. The exception being perhaps the Astro-Physics user group, with still has a few hundred posts per month every month. But that one suffers the same fait and will shut down too, with the same message heading that group.

So if you wish,  it would be wise to retrieve some info from those Yahoo! groups while you still can.

#5 Steve C.

Steve C.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:45 AM

The Mallincam group I subscribe to was migrated to Groups.IO.  While I can't speak specifically to the process, they say a Yahoo group can be migrated to it.

https://groups.io/

#6 Joe Ellis

Joe Ellis

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:03 PM

Does anyone have a copy of the serial number spreadsheet from the Yahoo database?

#7 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2019 - 02:04 PM

Does anyone have a copy of the serial number spreadsheet from the Yahoo database?

In the Yahoo group, it's under "Files" > "Questar Information Database"

#8 RichA

RichA

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 16 October 2019 - 04:42 PM

I just saw this on the home page of the Questar Users Group (and that of another Yahoo Group that I'm a member of):

"Attention: Starting December 14, 2019 Yahoo Groups will no longer host user created content on its sites. New content can no longer be uploaded after October 28, 2019."

There's a link to learn more. It takes you to a page with text that reads, "Yahoo has made the decision to no longer allow users to upload content to the Yahoo Groups site. Beginning October 21, you won't be able to upload any more content to the site, and as of December 14 all previously posted content on the site will be permanently removed. You'll have until that date to save anything you've uploaded."

If you're a member of this group and want to save any content off of it onto your own computer, now is definitely the time.

It's a real shame, because there's a ton of collective wisdom about everything Questar related on that Yahoo Group.

Yahoo has been dead for years.

#9 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 October 2019 - 05:31 PM

Is anyone planning on downloading the Questar material from Yahoo and would like to combine forces with others to make a complete back-up so nothing is lost?

#10 Astroman007

Astroman007

Cosmos

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 16 October 2019 - 05:45 PM

frown.gif Sad.

Too many things are "going away" as of late.

#11 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:03 PM

If others are working on an effort to archive the content of the Questar User Group on Yahoo, I think it's important to bear in mind that access to that group was restricted to members. Unlike Cloudy Nights, where any post that anyone makes (apart from private messages, of course) is visible to the wide-open web, the Yahoo group was not like that. Contributors to that group may have written messages with the assumption that their thoughts would be visible only to the restricted group. If someone does succeed with scraping that Yahoo group and creating an archive of that content, I think it's important to respect the assumption of quasi-privacy that message writers may have had. It may not be the wisest idea to make that content completely public on the web.

#12 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:08 PM

Wonderful point! I totally agree. 

If others are working on an effort to archive the content of the Questar User Group on Yahoo, I think it's important to bear in mind that access to that group was restricted to members. Unlike Cloudy Nights, where any post that anyone makes (apart from private messages, of course) is visible to the wide-open web, the Yahoo group was not like that. Contributors to that group may have written messages with the assumption that their thoughts would be visible only to the restricted group. If someone does succeed with scraping that Yahoo group and creating an archive of that content, I think it's important to respect the assumption of quasi-privacy that message writers may have had. It may not be the wisest idea to make that content completely public on the web.

Edited by agmoonsolns, 17 October 2019 - 07:08 PM.

#13 cbwerner

cbwerner

Bicycle Repairman

• Administrators
  • Loc: Maidens, VA

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:49 PM

I've been a member of that group for even longer than I have been on CN. While it's a pity to lose the messages interactions, I think the real archival information that is of enduring value is in the Files section, which can be easily downloaded by any group member. 

I'd like to say that I'll do that, but I'm probably going to fail given my other commitments. Regardless, I think there is very little there, that isn't already here. But it would be nice to be 100% on that.

#14 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:58 AM

Since all has been said, this thread is now locked. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics