•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Full Moon Oct 14, 2019 + first light for C90

astrophotography Maksutov mount
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 johnhudson922

johnhudson922

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 09:40 PM

Taken from my backyard in the Midwest during the night of October 14th, 2019. More or less full moon, 99.7ish?

Gear used:

Camera: ASI120MC-S (color)

OTA: Celestron C90

Mount: Celestron AVX

Software: Firecapture, Autostakkert!, Photoshop CC

About 11 panels stitched together in Photoshop. Videos captured at 1280x960 resolution and about 30fps. Manual focus.

This 500kb version is pretty heavily down-sampled from the original which is about 4700x4700. You can view a larger version by clicking on this link to Astrobin

Attached Thumbnails

• 10-14 moon JPG Edit - 1500px.jpg

Edited by johnhudson922, 16 October 2019 - 02:05 PM.

• Wouter D'hoye, eros312, fcathell and 3 others like this

#2 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:37 AM

Nice job with this image, John, with good processing overall.  You wrote that the full sized image is 9500x9500, which would have been a real head scratcher, because that's the approximate image scale that my C9.25 produces, so I was expecting to see an extremely oversized image with empty magnification, but the link shows the real image is 4727x4727.  I'm actually a bit curious about that image size as well, because it's larger than one would expect for the scope and camera combination.  The image scale of a C90 and ASI120 would make the Moon about 2900 pixels across in this case, whereas yours is about 4400px across (a 1.5x increase).  Were you using a barlow, or did you increase the size of the image during processing, such as a 1.5x drizzle?  If so, I actually think the image would benefit from being downsized back to the original scale.  Overall though a nice first image for the scope!

#3 johnhudson922

johnhudson922

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2019 - 02:01 PM

Nice job with this image, John, with good processing overall.  You wrote that the full sized image is 9500x9500, which would have been a real head scratcher, because that's the approximate image scale that my C9.25 produces, so I was expecting to see an extremely oversized image with empty magnification, but the link shows the real image is 4727x4727.  I'm actually a bit curious about that image size as well, because it's larger than one would expect for the scope and camera combination.  The image scale of a C90 and ASI120 would make the Moon about 2900 pixels across in this case, whereas yours is about 4400px across (a 1.5x increase).  Were you using a barlow, or did you increase the size of the image during processing, such as a 1.5x drizzle?  If so, I actually think the image would benefit from being downsized back to the original scale.  Overall though a nice first image for the scope!

Thanks Tom. You're right. In Autostakkert I did 3x drizzle, and the resulting full sized stitch was about 9500x9500. I did have that on Astrobin but uploaded a reduced size version and forgot to update the text. The one that I uploaded has been reduced to about 1500px wide I believe. I am still learning a lot about this and the processing settings and options seem limitless. I may re-do some of the stacking with 1.5x drizzle possibly. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, Maksutov, mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics