•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Why is everyone suddenly dumping their Astro Physics scopes?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
35 replies to this topic

#1 Im2bent

Im2bent

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:07 PM

There are 4 of them in the classifieds and another on ebay. Did everyone realize they way overpaid for what you get and they are trying to recoup their cash? Are the new Chinese  scopes that good?poke.gif

#2 rockstarbill

rockstarbill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:10 PM

LOL no. 

#3 Tyson M

Tyson M

Soyuz

• Loc: 53 degrees North

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:19 PM

Lots of various brands on the classifieds....lots of people buy and sell scopes.  Just look how many taks there are.  Are all Taks not worth it? 

Most people who have owned one would say worth the cost.

#4 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• Moderators
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:21 PM

The flipping of AP scopes seems, to me, to be a fool's errand.  Buy a scope for $8k (e.g.), sit on it for two years without using it and then sell it for $10k.

Whoopie-doo - you just made $2k in 2 years!  Champagne for everyone!!

Boneheads.

Dave

#5 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: ROR Obs. near Pettigrew, AR

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:31 PM

The flipping of AP scopes seems, to me, to be a fool's errand.  Buy a scope for $8k (e.g.), sit on it for two years without using it and then sell it for $10k.

Boneheads.

Dave

Dave,

I don't know. If that's true, it's a 25% ROI in two years.  But then again, risky; will you be able to sell it for that much more in two years?  What about shipping costs?

Maybe it's simply another way to diversify if one has loads of cash to invest?

On the other hand, buying these up and sitting on them is depriving someone else of using it for that time, since there's a waiting list.  Kind of selfish.

#6 Hugh Peck

Hugh Peck

Apollo

• Loc: NE WI

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:32 PM

Boneheads.

Dave

Actually, that's a 25% return on one's investment in 2 years. When was the last time your stocks, bonds or other investments returned that kind of yield? 

#7 M11Mike

M11Mike

Viking 1

• Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:34 PM

5 scopes for sale --- is that "everyone"???

#8 areyoukiddingme

areyoukiddingme

Skylab

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:52 PM

Actually, that's a 25% return on one's investment in 2 years. When was the last time your stocks, bonds or other investments returned that kind of yield? 

The past few years, minus one dip a little while back.

Having said that, I can't imagine that most AP scopes are going to appreciate. On the whole I think the market for them will tighten up as the older generation passes them along and demand decreases among the younger generations.

#9 havasman

havasman

Cosmos

• ****-
  • Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 15 October 2019 - 10:53 PM

Transient snapshot potential phenomenon do not trends make except in social media. That way lies madness.

Flawed, deeply flawed core premise. Poor, limited concept of "everyone." And "suddenly."

#10 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Aurora

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:30 PM

Dave,

I don't know. If that's true, it's a 25% ROI in two years.  But then again, risky; will you be able to sell it for that much more in two years?  What about shipping costs?

Maybe it's simply another way to diversify if one has loads of cash to invest?

On the other hand, buying these up and sitting on them is depriving someone else of using it for that time, since there's a waiting list.  Kind of selfish.

Well, in that case, now's the chance to set things right; just buy them and lend them to the needy!

#11 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:45 AM

Well, in that case, now's the chance to set things right; just buy them and lend them to the needy!

I am declaring myself "needy"!

Miguel   8-)

#12 HCR32

HCR32

Viking 1

• Loc: Melbourne Australia

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:44 AM

APM 152 ED made me think twice about selling my top tier scopes, they could be in the same boat.

#13 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:58 AM

Yep, I bought mine less than a year ago... worth every penny... although, there are less finiky folks out there that can't tell the difference and maybe for them it isn't worth it... and I don't blame them if they resell.

Attached Thumbnails

• AP Set.jpg

#14 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:43 AM

Tom, I would if I could.

#15 mich_al

mich_al

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:50 AM

Transient snapshot potential phenomenon do not trends make except in social media. That way lies madness.

Flawed, deeply flawed core premise. Poor, limited concept of "everyone." And "suddenly."

Brought on by and fully supported by current news cycle trends!

#16 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:11 AM

Brought on by and fully supported by current news cycle trends!

News cycle is now down to what, two hours?

#17 Binojunky

Binojunky

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:48 AM

People sell scopes for many reasons, medical bills , unemployment, education costs , broken relationships etc, D.

#18 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:04 AM

People sell scopes for many reasons, medical bills , unemployment, education costs , broken relationships etc, D.

But, IMO, and IME, mostly due to loss of interest.  Some, due to old age infirmities.

#19 Brent Campbell

Brent Campbell

Viking 1

• Loc: Olympia, WA

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:55 PM

It could be many things including:

1) The possibility of the economy slowing - people dumping their trinkets to raise cash to pay down debt (which could be a smart decision)

2) The mid range scopes are coming up in quality.  An astrophysics scope would be a dream instrument for me but for what I do it would be marginally better than the mid range.  You always pay big $ to get that extra 10% in performance....Some individuals may have gotten the "dream scope" tied it one time and said "meh" - its just not worth it to them personally.  This can be especially true if your interest are primarily visual.  I would argue that for visual a 10" quality DOB could give better visual views than a 5" AP refractor.  If you were doing astro-photos then the tables would be turned.

3) The ageing of our hobby.  As people get older they tend to unload stuff especially if they have to downsize or have health concerns...

Lots of reasons.  Scopes should not be thought of as an investment but if I wanted to get an Astrophysics refractor and a used one was available then great no waiting list!

#20 Im2bent

Im2bent

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2019 - 01:32 PM

Well in the last year of perusing the classifieds I don't recall seeing any. Now there are 4 at once hence the "suddenly" as for the everyone that's called hyperbole to garner interest in the thread which it has. As for roi the guy on ebay wants 30k for a 175 starfire don't know what they went for initially. Oh and according to the post the cheap price is because he is keeping the electric focuser.

#21 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

Posted 16 October 2019 - 02:48 PM

30k? The buyer would have to have so much money that over paying wouldn’t mean anything, or duped. What’s it worth really? 7k?

#22 bobhen

bobhen

Gemini

Posted 16 October 2019 - 03:04 PM

30k? The buyer would have to have so much money that over paying wouldn’t mean anything, or duped. What’s it worth really? 7k?

I believe they were around $21,000 new from AP. And of course the quantity is limited.

Bob

Edited by bobhen, 16 October 2019 - 03:05 PM.

#23 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

Posted 16 October 2019 - 03:08 PM

I believe they were around $21,000 new from AP. And of course the quantity is limited.

Bob

Wow, I never knew any AP refractors were that high.  I was on the list back about 20 years ago for a 155 SF, but it was in the neighborhood of 6k if I remember correctly.  My name never came up to the top.

At any rate, any scope is only worth what the market will pay.

Edited by John Fitzgerald, 16 October 2019 - 03:10 PM.

#24 decep

decep

Vostok 1

• Loc: Griffin, Georgia

Posted 16 October 2019 - 04:05 PM

You only mention AP refractors, but I have noticed that a lot of items on CN classifieds become available in clusters.  Anyone else notice things like a particular model of EP being sold by different sellers within a day or two.

#25 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:56 PM

Well in the last year of perusing the classifieds I don't recall seeing any. Now there are 4 at once hence the "suddenly" as for the everyone that's called hyperbole to garner interest in the thread which it has. As for roi the guy on ebay wants 30k for a 175 starfire don't know what they went for initially. Oh and according to the post the cheap price is because he is keeping the electric focuser.

Astro-physics scopes are rarely sold in the Cloudy Nights classifieds, typically they're sold on Astromart. In the last 4 months, I count 10 Astro-Physics refractors on Astromart. That's pretty normal.

Scope's like the 175 mm are generally auctioned on Astromart.

Jon

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics