•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Darks vs lights uggh!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zubeneschmali

Zubeneschmali

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2019 - 03:42 AM

I regularly use PixInsight for processing my data and have come to rely on the versatility.  The batch preprocessing feature for example, it comes in handy at when I am pressed for time and just want a quick and dirty view of a set of data but otherwise I am not a huge fan of using that script.  

My scope is set up in a shed in my back yard, it's relatively easy for me to collect data.  I never move the DSLR unless I absolutely have to, I may only need to take new flat frames a few times a year which makes life so much easier. This means I don't need to put my DSLR in the refrigerator to take dark frames anymore.  coldday.gif

How do I deal with temperature changes in my data? gaah.gif    Is there a way to get Pixinsight to match and calibrate light frames with the corresponding matching dark frames automatically?  

The problem I am running into is I am inundated with data that I can't easily reconcile.  I might have 100+ light frames of any given object that may vary in temperature by up to 15 degrees C.  This makes pre-processing a bit challenging.  Of those hundred light frames there may be a few clusters of data within a degree or two of each other but the range is rather large.  For example for the Iris Nebula, I have 23 lights at 29C, 7 lights at 27C, 28 lights at 26C, 6 lights at 25C, 14 lights at 22C, 16 lights at 21C 17 lights at 20C 13 lights at 16C, and 7 lights at 15C. 

I have a dark library that loosely corresponds to those temperatures but it doesn't correlate perfectly, however, I am always adding to it.  Someone please tell me I don't have to calibrate this data with the same flat's and bias frames 9 different times.  I don't know if I have the exact darks for all those frames.

Please don't tell me the answer is a dedicated temperature controlled camera, my wife will not understand.  mad.giflalalala.gif nonono.gif

I hope someone out there tells me, hey dummy you over looked this feature...try this...   doah.gif  band2.sml.gif

Edited by Zubeneschmali, 16 October 2019 - 03:47 AM.

#2 whwang

whwang

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 16 October 2019 - 04:44 AM

Hi,

In PI's batch processing, there is a check box for dark optimization.  It may help to handle minor differences in the temperatures of lights and darks.  Then what you really need to do is to group your lights and darks according to their rough temperatures, and calibrate those groups separately.  This is what I do.

Cheers,

Wei-Hao

#3 Zubeneschmali

Zubeneschmali

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:44 PM

Hi,

In PI's batch processing, there is a check box for dark optimization.  It may help to handle minor differences in the temperatures of lights and darks.  Then what you really need to do is to group your lights and darks according to their rough temperatures, and calibrate those groups separately.  This is what I do.

Cheers,

Wei-Hao

When I use batch pre-processing script I definitely have dark optimization selected, I was wondering if there was a better way to scale the dark frames to match the lights? 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics