•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Realistic capacity for EQ6-R Pro

accessories
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bataleon

Bataleon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:24 PM

So, I've perused this subject before and the general consensus is don't overload your mount for AP, but what about visual? I've recently acquired above mount and have mounted my C8 on it and this will likely be my workhorse for the time being but the long term goal is to eventually go big. I know on paper the most I should really slap on this thing is a C11 or maybe a 12" Newt, but I have heard of people putting C14s on it since the OTA is only 2 lbs over rated capacity. Obviously, this would probably cause issues with tracking for AP, but for general viewing, can one reasonably expect an EQ6-R to manage a 46 lb OTA? Or would I be better off doing a 12" Newtonian? I would like to get into AP eventually but right now it's not really a factor in my mind. I'm mostly just looking to knock it out of the park for visual.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

#2 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:42 PM

The first thing you need is a much stronger tripod or pier. The original tripod is not worth much, when you're approaching anywhere near the rated max capacity. I would not trust the EQ-6 in any of its varieties, to carry much more than half the rated load, unless you first upgrade the tripod. 

And the shorter the scope the better, as the real poison for the EQ-6 is a long moment arm. 

My own EQ-6 has carried a 6-foot long 40 lbs refractor, but only after upgrading to a Baader Hardwood tripod. And even so, it was pushing things. The C14 is much shorter, though, so should work a bit better. 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark 

#3 Bataleon

Bataleon

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2019 - 05:18 PM

The first thing you need is a much stronger tripod or pier. The original tripod is not worth much, when you're approaching anywhere near the rated max capacity. I would not trust the EQ-6 in any of its varieties, to carry much more than half the rated load, unless you first upgrade the tripod.

And the shorter the scope the better, as the real poison for the EQ-6 is a long moment arm.

My own EQ-6 has carried a 6-foot long 40 lbs refractor, but only after upgrading to a Baader Hardwood tripod. And even so, it was pushing things. The C14 is much shorter, though, so should work a bit better.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Yeah, that was kind of my concern with a big newt or refractor on a GEM, the moment reaction from wind and bumps on a much longer OTA is an issue I'm well acquainted with having started with a refractor. I can only imagine with a bigger scope. Maybe by the time I cobble together the funds for a 14" SCT, I'll just get the whole kit with the appropriate mount included.

#4 Paul Garais

Paul Garais

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sendenhorst, Germany

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:40 AM

EQ6 and EQ6-R are not the same mounts and have different capabilities.

The payload for photography that Skywatcher states for the EQ6-R is 20 kg. That is not the regular payload information, which one usually could apply the 50% rule too (which you can exceed if you work precisely).

You should be able to use the EQ6-R with 20 kg for imaging. I have a total of 15 kg loaded onto it with a newtonian (focal length 1.000 mm) and have perfectly round stars with perfectly fine guiding.

Regarding the load: 20 kg = ca. 44 lbs

Moment arm and area where the wind can attack still have to be considered and cared about. But you can achieve a lot with exact balance (forget about east-heavy for this mount), good cable management and good polar alignment.

Hope this helps!

— Paul

#5 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 17 October 2019 - 01:51 PM

So, I've perused this subject before and the general consensus is don't overload your mount for AP, but what about visual? I've recently acquired above mount and have mounted my C8 on it and this will likely be my workhorse for the time being but the long term goal is to eventually go big. I know on paper the most I should really slap on this thing is a C11 or maybe a 12" Newt, but I have heard of people putting C14s on it since the OTA is only 2 lbs over rated capacity. Obviously, this would probably cause issues with tracking for AP, but for general viewing, can one reasonably expect an EQ6-R to manage a 46 lb OTA? Or would I be better off doing a 12" Newtonian? I would like to get into AP eventually but right now it's not really a factor in my mind. I'm mostly just looking to knock it out of the park for visual.

You forget imaging (except maybe planetary) with a C14 and even visual will suffer from some severe instability issues (i.e., when you move the mount you will significant setting times and the same thing happens if you touch the focuser).  Tracking will likely be compromised to at least some extent that may matter for what you want to do.  Even a C11 on one of these mounts is asking a lot for anything other than planetary imaging but it is OK for visual.  There are some people who will use a C11 on a mount like the AVX for visual, I will not.  While the 12" newt is a lot faster than the C14, it is still too physically large and heavy for this mount and imaging and visual is a complete pain with a newt on a GEM.

You can load almost any mount well above the rated capacity for visual use as long as it is well balanced, but it will put stress on the electronics and it won't be good for much, if any, imaging.  Still, the mount is not likely to have a structural failure.  This always a matter of, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.  You can spend an awful lot on a big OTA only to find that the mount is insufficient and then you are stuck with at least one piece of equipment that it no good to you (usually the mount since you have spent some much more on the OTA).  You always need to remember that whatever you want to do, you have to start with the mount and insure that it is sufficient for what you want to do.  You started with the mount, but apparently did not consider what you really wanted to do with it.

One last thing to consider is the size and weight of the large scope.  A C11HD is not a light OTA when it comes to getting it up onto a mount by yourself.  The C14HD is not something that you will be able to place on top of the EQ6-R by yourself.  If you have never seen and lifted a C14 in person, do not buy one until you have.  A lot of people thinks that buying a C14 is the ultimate in view while they have no idea how difficult it is to handle or whether their mount can handle it.  Except for permanent mounting, C14's are closet scopes (i.e., they are used a couple of times and then end up in a closet unused).  Ending up happy with a system depends on a lot on planning for it's capabilities without getting yourself into a situation where you just end up frustrated with it.

#6 brujo

brujo

Lift Off

• -----

Posted Today, 03:32 PM

My experience with eq6-r is not so bad. 

I have deliberately exagerated by putting 21kg of instruments on it (C11 + RC6). 

I must say that after 8 months of use everything works fine also with AP. 

I have a kind of fixed pier but of course there is no place for wind. 

Attached Thumbnails

• SIDEBYSIDE.jpg.9de72bcd28070eeb1358ddf5e0af7c40.jpg
  • unnamed.jpg

Edited by brujo, Today, 03:38 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics