•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questar Advertising Campaigns

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 16 October 2019 - 12:47 PM

I'm curious to know in what periodicals Questar ran a sustained advertising campaign.

There's the well-known and long-running series of ads in Sky and Telescope, of course. Questar also ran ads in Scientific American and Natural History magazines.

Does anyone know about other periodicals in which Questar ran ads on a regular or even an incidental basis?

• Terra Nova, Astroman007 and agmoonsolns like this

#2 RMay

RMay

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NorCal

Posted 17 October 2019 - 06:48 PM

I was a rep for Questar in the early 1980s and published small ads for a few years in Sky & Telescope and Mercury, the journal of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific.

Ron
  • Gregory Gross likes this

#3 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:09 PM

For what it's worth, Company Seven says that, in the early years, Questar advertised in National Geographic. But a search this afternoon of the National Geographic Virtual Library did not turn up any ads in that publication.

#4 RMay

RMay

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NorCal

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:52 PM

They may be thinking of Scientific American...

#5 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:22 PM

By complete chance, I got a copy of the February 1981 issue of Astronomy magazine today. I was very surprised to see that Questar ran ads in that publication. I was under the impression that they never ran ads there.

I'm wondering if others who might have old back copies of Astronomy magazine from the 1970s, 80s, or even 90s might have a look at their collection and see if Questar ran ads in other issues. I'm interested to have a rough sense of timeframe for these ad appearances.

#6 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 17 January 2020 - 09:12 AM

IIRC, Questar only ran ads in Astronomy magazine for a short period in the ‘80’s.

#7 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:01 PM

For what it's worth, Company Seven says that, in the early years, Questar advertised in National Geographic. But a search this afternoon of the National Geographic Virtual Library did not turn up any ads in that publication.

I took National Geographic continuously from 1965 until 2005. I’m sure I remember ads for Questar. When I read the first post NG came to mind.

#8 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 January 2020 - 08:05 PM

I don't doubt you, Terra, but the search features on National Geographic Virtual Library are really robust. They allow you to search for advertisements by particular companies. I tried searching for Questar and didn't come up with any hits. It's possible, though, there are some holes in that search feature.

This is one of those things that I'd love to be proven wrong about, so if you're able to find an instance of a Questar ad appearing in National Geographic, I'd be delighted to see it.

Until just a few days ago, I thought that Questar never ran any ads in Astronomy magazine. But upon receiving an issue from February 1981, I was delightfully surprised to see that I was mistaken.

#9 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:23 PM

I did come across a mid 1960s issue with an article “That Orbed Maiden, The Moon” that showed a Q3.5 set up to photograph it, but don’t recall seeing any ads when I was collecting space related issues from the early space race.

Dave

#10 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:44 PM

I don't doubt you, Terra, but the search features on National Geographic Virtual Library are really robust. They allow you to search for advertisements by particular companies. I tried searching for Questar and didn't come up with any hits. It's possible, though, there are some holes in that search feature.

This is one of those things that I'd love to be proven wrong about, so if you're able to find an instance of a Questar ad appearing in National Geographic, I'd be delighted to see it.

Until just a few days ago, I thought that Questar never ran any ads in Astronomy magazine. But upon receiving an issue from February 1981, I was delightfully surprised to see that I was mistaken.

I don’t have any of my National Geographics. I had 30 feet of them in my garage but when I moved at the end of 2004, they all went. I couldn’t give them away, even schools wouldn’t take them. They were so heavy I couldn’t fill my rubber-made garbage cans with them and move the cans. Recyclers didn’t want them because of the clay in the paper! It was a PITA just to get them gone. I remember driving around at night depositing them in parking lot dumpsters! Then I had the whole set on CDs and the dam CDs wouldn’t work after I got new computer so they got thrown out too. Now I just occasionally read National Geographic online. Anyway, maybe it’s just a confabulated memory that they were ever there in the Geographics? I also had lots of back issues of Scientific American and they had Questar ads, and also I’ve been taking S&T since 1965. Could have been from them that I got the memory? (Got rid of those back issues there too, had those CDs/DVD? That also quit working). Long story short, I don’t accumulate magazines anymore and don’t buy any of them on CDs anymore. Anyway, forgive my rambling. I’ve been fascinated with Questars since 1965 (my best friend’s well-healed grandfather had one and he and I got into astronomy together as teenagers).Suffice it to say, wherever they were, I remember those black and white ads well, along with the Papermate(?) ballpoint pen and the Grecian goddess. lol.gif

Edited by Terra Nova, 18 January 2020 - 09:51 PM.

• rcwolpert likes this

#11 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:50 PM

Mis-remembered the title, that was a caption on a page.  February 1969 in the article How We Mapped the Moon...

https://archive.org/...e/n103/mode/2up

Celestron did have an ad showing their C22 with C10 guidescope in the back.

Dave

Edited by davidmcgo, 18 January 2020 - 09:59 PM.

#12 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:07 PM

A Questar also appears in an article entitled "The Solar Eclipse From a Jet," which appeared in the November 1963 issue of National Geographic.

• Terra Nova likes this

#13 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 January 2020 - 10:12 PM

I don’t have any of my National Geographics. I had 30 feet of them in my garage but when I moved at the end of 2004, they all went. I couldn’t give them away, even schools wouldn’t take them. They were so heavy I couldn’t fill my rubber-made garbage cans with them and move the cans. Recyclers didn’t want them because of the clay in the paper! It was a PITA just to get them gone. I remember driving around at night depositing them in parking lot dumpsters! Then I had the whole set on CDs and the dam CDs wouldn’t work after I got new computer so they got thrown out too. Now I just occasionally read National Geographic online. Anyway, maybe it’s just a confabulated memory that they were ever there in the Geographics? I also had lots of back issues of Scientific American and they had Questar ads, and also I’ve been taking S&T since 1965. Could have been from them that I got the memory? (Got rid of those back issues there too, had those CDs/DVD? That also quit working). Long story short, I don’t accumulate magazines anymore and don’t buy any of them on CDs anymore. Anyway, forgive my rambling. I’ve been fascinated with Questars since 1965 (my best friend’s well-healed grandfather had one and he and I got into astronomy together as teenagers).Suffice it to say, wherever they were, I remember those black and white ads well, along with the Papermate(?) ballpoint pen and the Grecian goddess. lol.gif

Well, my interested is piqued anyway, Terra. The library of my local university has an extensive collection of National Geographic issues sitting on their shelves, so I can spot check their collection at some stage.

• Terra Nova likes this

#14 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2020 - 09:26 PM

I had a chance this afternoon to stop by my local university's library to flip through bound issues of National Geographic. Specifically, I looked at January-June issues from 1960, '63, '66, '69, '72, '75, '80, '85, '86 (I was thinking Halley's Comet might have spurred Questar to run ads), '90, and 2000.

Unfortunately, the person who bound the 1960, '63, and '66 issues did not include covers or ads that would have appeared at the front or back of each issue, so I can't say for certain if there were any Questar ads that would have appeared during those years. But the issues including and after 1969 that I looked at did have their full content intact. I didn't see any Questar ads.

The closest thing I saw were Meade ETX ads in the issues from 2000.

It's possible that Questar may have ran ads in National Geographic for a brief span of time that I did not touch on in my spot checking. But most of the advertising I saw in that publication for the years I browsed were from big-time brands (think airlines, automobile manufacturers like GM or Toyota, major camera producers like Canon, or appliance manufacturers). My gut feelings was that Questar would have been too much of a niche brand for National Geographic, and I have a feeling, too, that ad space would have been too expensive for a small company like Questar.

• Terra Nova likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics