•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sony a6000 auto-dithering and sequencing exposures

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LtChestnut

LtChestnut

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2019 - 02:47 PM

So I recent bought a Sony alpha 6000, which is a great camer it can't communicate to the major astrophotography programs which is making this somewhat hard. Currently I don't have the mount or scope, but want to know how to get it to work.

From my understanding you connect the camera to the PC, with PHD, Sony remote, and PHDMax installed. You connect the mount (I'm looking at the iOptron Ipolar mount, and redcat 51) to the PC using the auto guiding port. PHD controls the mount, Sony remote controls the Camera and PHDMax acts as a interface between the two.

Using this method and programs, would it be possible to sequence a series of exposurers (50 2m exposures with 25s breaks) AND have dithering? I could manually dither, but automating it would be awesome, especially knowing that people have gotten it to work on other alpha cameras. I'm not planning to use a guide scope as im just a beginner.

#2 sharkmelley

sharkmelley

Vanguard

Posted 16 October 2019 - 04:13 PM

Generally speaking you need to be guiding in order to dither - PHD needs to connect to a guide camera.

I believe some programs (e.g. APT) can send dither commands to the mount without guiding but they won't be able to control your Sony.

Mark

#3 LtChestnut

LtChestnut

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2019 - 04:30 PM

Is dithering nessecary for the set-up I'm planning on using?

#4 XM381

XM381

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 16 October 2019 - 05:07 PM

To control your Sony look at this:

https://cascable.se/ios/

It's an iPad/iPhone app for wifi control of Sony cameras, including live view (which doesn't work on most Sony's when USB connected).

The "Shutter Robot" let's you program exposure sequences.

I use it with my A5000, works great.

• LtChestnut likes this

#5 LtChestnut

LtChestnut

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:18 PM

I don't have an Apple phone unfortunately. I can do sequencing fine, but I can seem to find a way to dither my shots, without inturupting my exposure. Would there way to control the mount with an Arduino?

#6 speedster

speedster

Vostok 1

• Loc: Abilene, Texas

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:19 PM

I shoot most everything except planets with the A6000.  Great camera in my opinion.  You need to download Sony Imaging Edge from https://support.d-im.../app/disoft/en/.  (free)  It has 3 components:  Viewer, Edit, and Remote.  You'll use Remote to control the camera from the PC.  The A6000 does not provide remote live view on the PC (or any other device).  Some other models do but not the A6000.  To focus, Bahtinov mask and zoom the display on a bright star.  Your only camera connection is to the PC via Imaging Edge.  I assigned buttons for display zoom and histogram.  Tethered to a PC, the cam pulls power from the USB so no battery worry.  Lowest noise on the A6000 is ISO 1600 which is real convenient.  IOS 800 is not much worse and that is what I use to get more dynamic range.  I'm not good enough to know for certain that that is a significant improvement but it feels good.

Dithering is done by the guide cam but, if your alignment is a bit off, the image will drift across the sensor a bit and when you stack, it effectively dithers.

#7 LtChestnut

LtChestnut

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 October 2019 - 06:26 PM

I shoot most everything except planets with the A6000. Great camera in my opinion. You need to download Sony Imaging Edge from https://support.d-im.../app/disoft/en/. (free) It has 3 components: Viewer, Edit, and Remote. You'll use Remote to control the camera from the PC. The A6000 does not provide remote live view on the PC (or any other device). Some other models do but not the A6000. To focus, Bahtinov mask and zoom the display on a bright star. Your only camera connection is to the PC via Imaging Edge. I assigned buttons for display zoom and histogram. Tethered to a PC, the cam pulls power from the USB so no battery worry. Lowest noise on the A6000 is ISO 1600 which is real convenient. IOS 800 is not much worse and that is what I use to get more dynamic range. I'm not good enough to know for certain that that is a significant improvement but it feels good.

Dithering is done by the guide cam but, if your alignment is a bit off, the image will drift across the sensor a bit and when you stack, it effectively dithers.

Wow, I'm so happy I found someone who uses the a6000. How do you dither, if the camera can't talk to the mount. Do you manually dither between shots, or do you have another solution in place? I'm not planning on having a guide scope, but rather dithering in a small spiral which should work ok. Currently, my best option is using an Arduino to both control the shutter (using a hacked intervalmeter), and to dither. I need to find out how to control my mount with an Arduino so I can randomly move it.

#8 drmark67

drmark67

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:43 PM

Does anyone know if skyX can control Sony cameras? 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics