•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I went for the El-cheapo option- share and tear

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:02 PM

I keep on buying astro stuff and a few years later it lies in some corner of my estate rusting away and waiting to be inherited- if you get my drift.

I have a Celestron 11" RASA which has been in its storage crate for the last 2 years whilst I acquired all the accessories for it. I just about bought everything from the Baader UFC system, camera and everything else that was a nicety. The only thing I did not have was a suitable mount.

I was having a sort through my "junk" collection & bingo- I found a pair of parallax rings to which fitted my long sold C11. I looked at the C14 on the Paramount in its Bisque rings & In a fit of madness I stripped down the entire C14- rings, camera assembly and all.

I have mounted the RASA on the Paramount using the Parallax rings and the C14 has gone into storage.

My rational is that I longed for simpler imaging. The C14 is great when conditions allow but they were becoming few & far between. I can accomplish with the RASA in one hour which was taking 20 hours using the C14. I just need to get used to the vastly reduced image scale.

The lesson I learnt- use what you have to hand. It's great to have shiny new things but ultimately my bank account feels better for it. I really would like a big expensive new mount but sadly my wife has other ideas!

Clear skies to you all & look for some RASA pictures shortly.

• elwaine, eros312, bbqediguana and 3 others like this

#2 Raginar

Raginar

Cosmos

• Loc: Pensacola, FL

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:29 PM

Nice job. Couldn’t you have just gone with fastar? What’s it get you over the RASA?

#3 TikiTom

TikiTom

Viking 1

• Loc: South Central, WI

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:09 PM

Nice job. Couldn’t you have just gone with fastar? What’s it get you over the RASA?

no collomation, for one

#4 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:22 PM

I can't comment on the fastar as I've never used one. What I can tell you about the RASA is that it's a superb instrument with the right adaptors and suitable mount. I took 150 mixed subs last night & you can see my postings of NGC7331 & M33 in the imaging section CCD/CMOS on this forum.

I really like the quality and flatness of the field- it really is a superb quality set of optics and I plan to milk it for all its worth.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics