•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade 10" LX200 GPS SMT Stuck Corrector Plate Removal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Apollo

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chico, CA

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:24 PM

Recently got a 10" Meade LX200 GPS SMT and had to remove the corrector plate to clean the dust off the back. Unfortunately the glass was stuck to the thick gray paper gasket. Of course you don't want to use any metal to pry it out as that almost certainly will chip the glass.

To get it unstuck I used a shaved popsicle stick through the gap in the cell casting that allowed the stick to go past the shelf cast into the cell that the corrector plate and gasket rests against. I then tapped the stick into the gap and as it got thicker and thicker it eventually pressed the corrector plate sideways enough that it broke loose from the gasket. I thought the popcicle stick was ideal as it was just the right thickness at it's thickest and the wood is actually quite soft so it would be gentle on the glass. 

This technique may apply to other brands and models of SCT telescopes, I don't know if others have the gap necessary. 

No guarantee this will always work or that it's foolproof, it might still be possible to break the glass no matter how gentle one might be. As the back of the glass was pretty dusty I figured I had little to lose. 

Tom Duncan 

Attached Thumbnails

• 20191016_171229_edited-3.jpg

Edited by Tom Duncan, 16 October 2019 - 08:25 PM.

• Skywatchr, hendric, Jim Waters and 3 others like this

#2 Geo.

Geo.

Vendor - Nexstar Parts

• Vendors
  • Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 27 October 2019 - 03:24 PM

I find a little alcohol will usually free a corrector, but it's hard not to get any on the primary and then it has to be cleaned.

• Skywatchr likes this

#3 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Apollo

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 29 October 2019 - 10:31 AM

And you need to wait a day or two for the alcohol to fully evaporate from the very porous ring gasket. 

Tom 

#4 MikeBY

MikeBY

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Huntington Beach, CA

Posted 02 November 2019 - 03:33 AM

Tom,

What was the condition of the gasket, and was it still stuck to the corrector, the tube or some of each when things let loose?

Was their some residual material on the corrector?  I'm curious if you determined what caused the 'sticking'.

Thanks,

Michael

#5 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Apollo

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 06 November 2019 - 09:00 PM

The corrector came off clean from the gasket and the gasket itself showed no signs of being stuck to the glass. I think it was just having been in the same position for 20 years, the large area it covered and my reluctance to pry it straight out that resisted initial removal, risking shattering the corrector. 

Tom 

• Skywatchr likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics