•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M31 – Spiral Galaxy in Andromeda – ZWO ASI294MC Pro & Triad

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• topic starter
  • Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:39 PM

Telescope: Celestron Comet Catcher 5.5” f/3.6 Schmidt Newtonian, Orion Atlas EQ-G
Camera: ZWO ASI294MC Pro, -10C; Gain: 200
Filter: 1.25” OPT Triad Hb, OIII, Ha filter
Guide scope: Williams Optics 50mm, Meade DSI Pro II, PHD
Exposure: 65x240sec saved as FITS
Darks: 32x240sec saved as FITS
Flats: 32x0.015sec Tee flats taken at dusk
Average Light Pollution: Red zone (Bortle 8), fair transparency, bright moonlight
Lensed Sky Quality Meter: 17.7 mag/arc-sec^2
Stacking: Mean with a 2-sigma clip.
White Balance: Nebulosity Automatic
Software: Nebulosity, Deep Sky Stacker, Photoshop

M31 (10-14-2019)-1j.jpg

I like to use the nights around the full moon to experiment and to try something new or different. During this month’s Hunter’s Moon I spent a bit of time imaging M33 and M31 in narrowband to see what there was to see. I was particularly interested in trying to detect emission nebula in these two nearby galaxies. At first glance M31 looked rather bland, but close inspection shows longs trails of red dots, nodules, and small regions scattered along the spiral arms. In white light these often appear blue, but in narrowband they show the characteristic red of H-alpha, marking them as star formation regions. Deepsky objects in a neighboring galaxy! Neat stuff!

• tjay, jim kuhns, eros312 and 8 others like this

#2 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:57 AM

There is a lot of Hydrogen alpha to be captured and your image shows that M31 is full of the stuff- I'm surprised at the amount you've captured- well done.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics