•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

China wants to launch Mars Rover in 2020, land in 2021

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 HouseBuilder328

HouseBuilder328

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 16 October 2019 - 08:44 PM

China really is getting heavy into the space race.  In my perfect world, everyone would work together.  But being on the optimistic side,  I am liking all of these different countries wanting to explore Space and our Universe.

Now on to China's rover - the picture and design looks a little dinky, wouldn't you say?  Also, soft-landing a rover on Mars seems extremely difficult.  I actually cannot wait for the next NASA Mars rover.

https://www.space.co...st-picture.html

• thundherr likes this

#2 RyanSem

RyanSem

Viking 1

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:01 PM

Looks reminiscent of Spirit and Opportunity to me. I'd agree that I wish we could all work together, but I think space exploration in general is beneficial to the world population so long as the science gained is shared with all. Hopefully it will be - I'll remain optimistic too! 

2020 is shaping up to be an action-packed year.

#3 psuaero

psuaero

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ellicott City, MD

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:09 PM

China isn't the only one planning a launch to Mars in the 2020 launch window (July-Aug). The European/Russian ExoMars RSP is due to launch. It's an orbiter, lander, and rover all in one. Then we have the United Arab Emirates HOPE orbiter. Then, of course, we have the Mars2020 rover from the United States. They all would arrive in early 2021. Mars is shaping up to be a very busy place.

#4 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Skylab

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 16 October 2019 - 09:40 PM

When are we going to get some Venus rovers going?

#5 thundherr

thundherr

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:01 PM

i think selecting mars as the target  is a huge waste of time and money.

based on the photos that i have seen,  its a dirt rock thats pretty but not life sustainable.

take the same craft with robot instead of human and keep going deep space in search of a planet similar to earth.  

#6 RyanSem

RyanSem

Viking 1

• Loc: Lancaster, PA

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:26 PM

based on the photos that i have seen,  its a dirt rock thats pretty but not life sustainable.

take the same craft with robot instead of human and keep going deep space in search of a planet similar to earth.  

A noble thought, but we are decades away from that kind of technology. 

#7 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:47 PM

When are we going to get some Venus rovers going?

Pressure and temperatures are prohibitive.

#8 City Kid

City Kid

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Indiana

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:31 AM

Do you understand how far away other solar systems are?

• DaveC2042 likes this

#9 llanitedave

llanitedave

Humble Megalomaniac

• Loc: Amargosa Valley, NV, USA

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:22 AM

Looks reminiscent of Spirit and Opportunity to me. I'd agree that I wish we could all work together, but I think space exploration in general is beneficial to the world population so long as the science gained is shared with all. Hopefully it will be - I'll remain optimistic too! 

2020 is shaping up to be an action-packed year.

Spirit and Opportunity would be a great model to be based on.  In some respects, I'd rather see dozens of Opportunity-class rovers exploring all over the planet than a few, more capable but far more expensive, Curiosity-class rovers.  I think you'd get more bang for the buck, and possibly more customized missions.

#10 HouseBuilder328

HouseBuilder328

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:51 PM

Are you thinking like Saturn's moons like Titan and Enceladus?  Those have atmospheres and are highly interesting.

It's going to be a while til we can travel to another solar system, even with a probe.  Hopefully in my lifetime this can be done. 

But in the meantime, I'll enjoy at least traveling within our solar system, which is hard enough already.

#11 EJN

EJN

Skylab

• Loc: Between what is and what's not there

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:42 AM

R U serious? With current technology it would take tens of thousands of years to reach the nearest star.

Or are you one of those who thought Star Trek was a documentary?
  • llanitedave and City Kid like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics