•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New ep from Vixen

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Nakedgun

Nakedgun

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southwest

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:14 PM

Just got an email on these.

Plossl-like APOV but good eye relief at shorter lengths.

https://www.mrstargu...eces-s/1844.htm

#2 MartinPond

MartinPond

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:32 PM

Just got an email on these.

Plossl-like APOV but good eye relief at shorter lengths.

https://www.mrstargu...eces-s/1844.htm

7 elements, 4 groups, 50 degrees....interesting.

They'd better be sharp enough to give your cornea paper-cuts! ... ;-)

Looks like they are suggesting an agressive pricing campaign....not sure

what the comparables are, though.   Wish they were 55 degrees...just a bit more. 

#3 Ernest_SPB

Ernest_SPB

Apollo

• Loc: St.-Petersburg, Russia

Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:19 AM

https://www.cloudyni...-slv-eyepieces/

• nicoledoula likes this

#4 db2005

db2005

Viking 1

• Loc: Living in Denmark, under Bortle 5 skies.

Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:19 AM

Vixen SLVs are not exactly new... they have been around for some time.

I own several of them and I have found them to be very good performers, with incredible sharpness and contrast; noticeably sharper and more contrasty than any Plössl type eyepiece I've tried (and definitely more comfortable to use than Plössls). Off-axis/edge performance is in a completely different league than the Plössls and Orthoscopics I've tried, with stars being sharp almost all of the way to the edge.

With the exception of the narrower field of view I have found their performance to be pretty close to my Pentax XWs. I use them a lot due to their long eye relief, as I need to wear glasses while observing. I think it's great Vixen made the effort of making a complex eyepiece and optimizing performance rather than inflating the field-of-view at the cost of optical performance.

• SteveG, Sarkikos, CeleNoptic and 5 others like this

#5 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:08 AM

Yes these eyepieces have been around for many years in different incarnations. LV, NLV, now SLV starting a few years ago. It made a little more sense in the LVW days because then you could opt for the contrasy views with long ER of the LV series, or pay another hundred or so to upgrade to the wide field LVW.

Last week I was comparing a LV to a Tak LE. It was very close, and the slight difference may have largely been attributed to slight difference in FL. But I thought the Tak did just edge out the LV. Of course the LV has better eye relief. So something to consider if you feel the SLV is overpriced. Keep in mind the LEs go for about $250. Ok, you might say those are overpriced too. If you are a wide field junky than neither will look that attractive to you. But some will pay a premium for top contrast.

Scott
  • CeleNoptic, Hugh Peck, Terra Nova and 1 other like this

#6 Hugh Peck

Hugh Peck

Apollo

• Loc: NE WI

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:47 AM

Not new, on closeout. Which means Vixen has probably redesigned the look and come up with a new letter combination for the same ep. Again. They're actually quite good, especially at the lower price. Had a set before and sold them. Maybe I'll buy another bunch. Maybe I need a financial guardian. lol.gif 

• oldphysics, nicoledoula and rkelley8493 like this

#7 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:04 AM

They're kind of like a scaled down version of the Pentax XW. That was the impression that I got from the SLV's. They had a very neutral color tone and were pretty sharp, but the FOV wasn't my style, so I returned them.

• Hugh Peck and Piero DP like this

#8 Hugh Peck

Hugh Peck

Apollo

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:09 AM

They're kind of like a scaled down version of the Pentax XW. That was the impression that I got from the SLV's. They had a very neutral color tone and were pretty sharp, but the FOV wasn't my style, so I returned them.

I like the narrow field of view. Not that I'm against wider fields, I've owned a complete set of Antares SWA and ES 82s but I like the narrow fields for lunar and planetary. 

• bbqediguana and rkelley8493 like this

#9 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:10 AM

$109 is a good price. Periodically they go on sale for $119 but I don’t recall seeing $109 before. Not the deal of the decade, but if you were on the fence, or waiting for a sale, I would grab one (or more).

Scott

#10 rkelley8493

rkelley8493

Apollo

• Loc: Southeast USA

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:15 AM

I like the narrow field of view. Not that I'm against wider fields, I've owned a complete set of Antares SWA and ES 82s but I like the narrow fields for lunar and planetary. 

We all have our own style waytogo.gif

$109 is a good price. Periodically they go on sale for $119 but I don’t recall seeing $109 before. Not the deal of the decade, but if you were on the fence, or waiting for a sale, I would grab one (or more).

Scott

I got the ones that I tried on sale for $119 at the time. I think their MSRP is like $169 or something, so that's a pretty good deal.

#11 Hugh Peck

Hugh Peck

Apollo

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:17 AM

When I bought mine they were $149.

• rkelley8493 likes this

#12 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 17 October 2019 - 01:09 PM

A note for potential purchasers:

These are sharp, and decent eyepieces BUT they are not the best for moon observations.

There is a reflective spacer used internally that makes such use somewhat problematic.

The price is good (and Vixen dealers will honor the prices), and they are glasses-friendly and nice and sharp.

They make good DSO eyepieces because of good contrast on faint targets.

You can't beat the price.

• CeleNoptic, eros312, Hugh Peck and 9 others like this

#13 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:23 PM

I agree with Don about not using them for lunar viewing. I like mine for planetary viewing though. Very ortho' like IMO.

Edited by Shorty Barlow, 17 October 2019 - 04:23 PM.

• CeleNoptic, Hugh Peck and nicoledoula like this

#14 george tatsis

george tatsis

Apollo

• Loc: Flushing, NY

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:15 AM

These are sharp, and decent eyepieces BUT they are not the best for moon observations.

There is a reflective spacer used internally that makes such use somewhat problematic.

The price is good (and Vixen dealers will honor the prices), and they are glasses-friendly and nice and sharp.

Don,

I reckon from what you're saying that the SLVs haven't been redesigned and that the initial issues remain the same.Because if they have, how difficult was it for Vixen not to address the problem of the reflective spacer.Too bad I guess because I've always liked Vixen.

George

Edited by george tatsis, 18 October 2019 - 06:18 AM.

#15 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:26 AM

I don't think these have changed for years.

sml_gallery_249298_10131_122355.jpg

The 6mm and 5mm above were bought a few years back. The 4mm is much more recent as I bought it specifically for the Saturn opposition this year. It's just so much more comfortable than staring through a tiny 4mm ortho' for long periods of time. As far as I can tell they all have the shiny ring spacer. 

Edited by Shorty Barlow, 18 October 2019 - 07:27 AM.

#16 Hugh Peck

Hugh Peck

Apollo

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:59 AM

And this is why everyone has to have 47½ eps. It's a plot I tell you! It's a plot!  grin.gif

Edited by Hugh Peck, 18 October 2019 - 12:57 PM.

• Starman1, Astrojensen, jeffmac and 1 other like this

#17 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:06 AM

The older LV series was made in Japan. My 9LV doesn’t seem to have any issues with viewing the Moon in my 6” Mak. Can’t speak to the Chinese SLV series though.

Scott

#18 csrlice12

csrlice12

ISS

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:52 AM

The Vixen LV are hard to beat in dedicated solar ha scopes.  They're like my mini XWs.

#19 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 18 October 2019 - 12:52 PM

I don't think these have changed for years.

sml_gallery_249298_10131_122355.jpg

The 6mm and 5mm above were bought a few years back. The 4mm is much more recent as I bought it specifically for the Saturn opposition this year. It's just so much more comfortable than staring through a tiny 4mm ortho' for long periods of time. As far as I can tell they all have the shiny ring spacer. 

Ironic.  They have good coatings, decent polish, a non-rolling barrel design so they won't roll off a table, NO UNDERCUTS on the barrels, long eye relief, nice roll-up eyeguards, good control of exit pupil issues,

light in weight.  And that shiny spacer.  I haven't taken one apart, but It doesn't look like that would be difficult.  A little flocking on that spacer, and voilà! state-of-the-art.

• Astrojensen, eros312, Shorty Barlow and 1 other like this

#20 Starman1

Starman1

• Vendors

Posted 18 October 2019 - 12:53 PM

Don,

I reckon from what you're saying that the SLVs haven't been redesigned and that the initial issues remain the same.Because if they have, how difficult was it for Vixen not to address the problem of the reflective spacer.Too bad I guess because I've always liked Vixen.

George

You assume there has been more than one production run.  Maybe not.

• Hugh Peck likes this

#21 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Apollo

• -----

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:33 PM

Ironic.  They have good coatings, decent polish, a non-rolling barrel design so they won't roll off a table, NO UNDERCUTS on the barrels, long eye relief, nice roll-up eyeguards, good control of exit pupil issues,

light in weight.  And that shiny spacer.  I haven't taken one apart, but It doesn't look like that would be difficult.  A little flocking on that spacer, and voilà! state-of-the-art.

Yeah, that spacer definitely needs a good flocking! lol

#22 earlyriser

earlyriser

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Cincinnati

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:42 PM

They also appear to have smooth barrels if that matters.

#23 KevH

KevH

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:36 AM

The older LV series was made in Japan. My 9LV doesn’t seem to have any issues with viewing the Moon in my 6” Mak. Can’t speak to the Chinese SLV series though.

Scott

I’ll add that my 4mm and 5mm NLVs have no issues with the moon either. It’s a shame Vixen hasn’t addressed this issue with the SLV line.

#24 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:18 AM

I’ve been using Vixen Lanthanums for years. I have a full set of LVs. They work great in my two older Vixen refractors- like they were made for each other; oh yeah, they were! Let’s just say I’m a fan.

#25 Magnetic Field

Magnetic Field

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: UK

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:58 AM

What is going on with Vixen?

They completely lost the plot.

These eyepieces are meant to be used for planets and the moon (not many would use a 2.5mm for deep sky observations).

Regular retail price of $200 and a shiny unblackened interior design.

Are these oculars cheap Chinese made with a big unearned price tag?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics