•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Saturn on high....

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 astronz59

astronz59

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:27 PM

I can never pass Saturn by during times of exceptional seeing such as this one. Probably one of my best views yet - good steady image with lots of colours to see. Northern hemisphere belts ranging from reddish ochre at the equator to greenish brown. Sketched this on October 8th, but subsequently, a careless blunder with a table saw led to me loosing the tip of my thumb, which has curtailed holding a pencil properly and indeed, only managing to set up my telescope with difficulty. I should have this cool scar with which to regale folks about rampant counterweights and the like......Telescope.gif bigblush.gif

Saturn0810.jpg

Edited by astronz59, 17 October 2019 - 12:03 AM.

• Daniel Mounsey, Special Ed, Uwe Pilz and 14 others like this

#2 jeremiah2229

jeremiah2229

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Illinois, USA N 37° W 89°

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:39 AM

Hope all is well with your thumb. Hope it was just a little "tip". Ouch...   gottahurt.gif

Peace...

#3 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Voyager 1

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:57 AM

An outstanding observation and sketch for a 4". 

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#4 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:22 AM

I agree, great sketch for a 4" refractor. I might have to get one. :)

Seriously, though, the detail on the globe is pretty difficult to see, IME. Yet, you captured quite a bit of detail. You describe the colors nicely. Very good observation. I'd urge you to study the rings a little more, too, at a bit more magnification closer to 200x or 250x. They are bright and can take some magnification and there are some brighter rings in the A and B rings. You may or may not catch the Enke minimum, it seems pretty tough these days. Next good night out. :)

#5 FRANC LILL

FRANC LILL

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: 60km south of Bordeaux

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:29 AM

Norme, really sorry for your thumb, fortunatly you still have 9 fingers left!  grin.gif

Happy for the seeing you got! Actually far away from mine at present time! I appreciate very much your drawing with all these details, and especially the shadow of the planet on the rings. It must have been a treat at the eyepiece. Thank's for sharing,

Clear skies,
Francis

Edited by FRANC LILL, 17 October 2019 - 07:30 AM.

#6 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: Pampanga, PI

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:01 AM

Norme, really sorry for your thumb, fortunatly you still have 9 fingers left!  grin.gif

Clear skies,
Francis

waytogo.gif

Found it. :)

Yea, as we all know, seeing really matters. I think even in deep sky it matters to some extent. Tonight I was at 600x on NGC 7009, again, (kind of on topic, Saturn...) but saw not much. Seeing was noticeably degraded. The Saturn Nebula was a large blur, really. Saturn was okay earlier, but you could tell it was degraded, too. Jupiter was a mess. 

#7 frank5817

frank5817

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:56 AM

Ian,

An excellent sketch of Saturn. I really enjoy observing Saturn but sketching Saturn gives me fits.

Sorry to hear about your thumb. At least if you hold what you were cutting exactly the same way nest time

it will miss hitting the end of your thumb.

Frank :)

#8 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:49 PM

Ian,

Nice sketch of Saturn on high....smile.gif .

CS,KLU,

thanx.gif ,

Tom

#9 astronz59

astronz59

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:59 PM

Ian,

An excellent sketch of Saturn. I really enjoy observing Saturn but sketching Saturn gives me fits.

Sorry to hear about your thumb. At least if you hold what you were cutting exactly the same way nest time

it will miss hitting the end of your thumb.

Frank smile.gif

He he, thanks Frank! I use the Saturn templates from the BAA website. I have attached the one I used for the current ring tilt:

Attached File  Saturn_tilt.docx   24.12KB   10 downloads

#10 k.s.min

k.s.min

Mariner 2

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:37 AM

The  C-ring  was  so  apparent  in  your  view  &  sketch  also  really  the  globe's  shadow  cast  on  it   ....in  a  small  refractor.

Good  observation.

#11 pedrovillamiel

pedrovillamiel

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Alcorcón, Madrid. España

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:03 AM

Very good sketch.
I wish you to soon heal your thumb.
Greetings. Pedro

#12 ngc 9999

ngc 9999

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Sunrise, Fl. 26 degrees N

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:18 AM

Can you actually see band detail in a 4''? I can only notice the usual cream disk with brown band, but without the delicate divisions in the band in the 4.5'' newtonian as in your drawing. Must be either good eyesight or optical quality or both.

#13 astronz59

astronz59

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:09 PM

Can you actually see band detail in a 4''? I can only notice the usual cream disk with brown band, but without the delicate divisions in the band in the 4.5'' newtonian as in your drawing. Must be either good eyesight or optical quality or both.

Both.My refractor has extremely good optics and I have just had a cataract operation on my observing eye (right). The latter has made a huge improvement in my astronomy colour vision

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics