•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My Lunar work with DSLR and lenses.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WestCoastCannuck

WestCoastCannuck

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Victoria, BC

Posted 17 October 2019 - 01:12 AM

Hello all...   I joined here a few years ago just as I was starting to get obsessed with the moon and I am just now "returning".   I have recently bought a couple scopes, a tracking mount and a planetary cam that I am still learning to use, but I would like to share a few of my faves from 3 years of "no astro gear" shooting.  I really enjoyed pushing things as far as I could with regular camera gear.

I have read the rules... but still unsure if this post will be OK.  (regarding sharing sizes - a linked flickr photo OK??)

This one I shot up at the Dominion Astronomical Observatory last year - it was my first time up there and the moon low and on its way out of the sky for the DSO guys I met.  I had brought my gear anyway and I was amazed how decent the viewing was - elevation truly helps I found out finally first hand!

2 piece mosaic.  Best 140 of 160 single shot frames per panel. Shot with Sony A77ii, Minolta 400/4.5 lens + a 3X TC and 1.4X TC stacked.  (1680mm)  Conversion of Sony raw files to tiffs, then PIPP, AS!3, stitched with ICE,  sharpened in Astra Image and final touches in LR6.  2048px view available in Flickr.

46907586375_500d22e691_c.jpg40% Waxing 2019-05-10 by Mike Nash, on Flickr

Sony A77ii, Minolta 400/4.5 lens + 3X + 1.4X TC (1680mm) on a tripod.  1/50s, F24, ISO200 .  This is a two piece composite.  Each half the best 100 of 120 single raw exposures shot by hand with a wired release.  Converted to tiffs, pre aligning and quality sorted in PIPP, stacked with AS!3, stitched with ICE, sharpened in Astra Image and finished with LR6.

45394757344_282c81fb56_c.jpgMoon 2018-11-30 43.4% Waning by Mike Nash, on Flickr

A crop

46068682042_540963ce52_c.jpgMoon 2018-11-30 43.4% Waning by Mike Nash, on Flickr

And my favourite of my first combination I used exclusively for 2 years - on a great seeing night.  It is one of perhaps two or three images I have ever shared at full resolution.

100% resolution file available.  This is a stack of all 82 frames from the set - all were good.  Shot with Sony A77ii + Minolta 400/4.5 + 2X TC.

43991336170_47ccd1e1a8_c.jpgMoon 2018-02-22 by Mike Nash, on Flickr

I have many more uploaded on my Flickr but these give an idea of what I was "shooting" for!  ...... but now I am trying to get settled into new gear and processes.  I have sold the camera I used for these, but I still use the lenses with my ASI 183MM camera - and of course the two scopes.  Can't wait for some good moons to shoot!!  Looking forward to sharing something with the new stuff.  smile.gif

Very best regards

Mike

• Jeff B, hendric, Jim Waters and 13 others like this

#2 mackiedlm

mackiedlm

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:54 AM

Hello all...   I joined here a few years ago just as I was starting to get obsessed with the moon and I am just now "returning".   I have recently bought a couple scopes, a tracking mount and a planetary cam that I am still learning to use, but I would like to share a few of my faves from 3 years of "no astro gear" shooting.  I really enjoyed pushing things as far as I could with regular camera gear.

I have read the rules... but still unsure if this post will be OK.  (regarding sharing sizes - a linked flickr photo OK??)

This one I shot up at the Dominion Astronomical Observatory last year - it was my first time up there and the moon low and on its way out of the sky for the DSO guys I met.  I had brought my gear anyway and I was amazed how decent the viewing was - elevation truly helps I found out finally first hand!

2 piece mosaic.  Best 140 of 160 single shot frames per panel. Shot with Sony A77ii, Minolta 400/4.5 lens + a 3X TC and 1.4X TC stacked.  (1680mm)  Conversion of Sony raw files to tiffs, then PIPP, AS!3, stitched with ICE,  sharpened in Astra Image and final touches in LR6.  2048px view available in Flickr.

46907586375_500d22e691_c.jpg40% Waxing 2019-05-10 by Mike Nash, on Flickr

Sony A77ii, Minolta 400/4.5 lens + 3X + 1.4X TC (1680mm) on a tripod.  1/50s, F24, ISO200 .  This is a two piece composite.  Each half the best 100 of 120 single raw exposures shot by hand with a wired release.  Converted to tiffs, pre aligning and quality sorted in PIPP, stacked with AS!3, stitched with ICE, sharpened in Astra Image and finished with LR6.

45394757344_282c81fb56_c.jpgMoon 2018-11-30 43.4% Waning by Mike Nash, on Flickr

A crop

46068682042_540963ce52_c.jpgMoon 2018-11-30 43.4% Waning by Mike Nash, on Flickr

And my favourite of my first combination I used exclusively for 2 years - on a great seeing night.  It is one of perhaps two or three images I have ever shared at full resolution.

100% resolution file available.  This is a stack of all 82 frames from the set - all were good.  Shot with Sony A77ii + Minolta 400/4.5 + 2X TC.

43991336170_47ccd1e1a8_c.jpgMoon 2018-02-22 by Mike Nash, on Flickr

I have many more uploaded on my Flickr but these give an idea of what I was "shooting" for!  ...... but now I am trying to get settled into new gear and processes.  I have sold the camera I used for these, but I still use the lenses with my ASI 183MM camera - and of course the two scopes.  Can't wait for some good moons to shoot!!  Looking forward to sharing something with the new stuff.  smile.gif

Very best regards

Mike

These are great images. I look forward to seeing what comes next.

• WestCoastCannuck likes this

#3 WestCoastCannuck

WestCoastCannuck

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:34 PM

These are great images. I look forward to seeing what comes next.

Thanks much!  smile.gif   Probably best if you delete the quote though....  it repeats my entire post which is a bit of scrolling.   ;)

• kbev likes this

#4 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:29 AM

Nice images Mike, with good processing.  That's quite the stack of teleconverters you used!  But it seems to have worked.  I notice you said you presorted the images in PIPP.  PIPP is great for converting a file into a different format or cropping into a subset of videos, but I wouldn't let it do any of the quality sorting.  I'd leave that to AS!3 entirely.  I notice some false color along the limb in your color images, which could be chromatic aberration but is also likely from atmospheric dispersion due to your location and the low elevation of the Moon above the horizon.  This will be one of the great benefits to imaging with your new mono camera.  I'm sure you will like the ASI183mm for the Moon.  

#5 Jeff B

Jeff B

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:54 AM

Good stuff Mike.

I'm messing around with my Canon 6D for lunar images and I'm surprised at how nice of an image I can get.  Here are two examples.  Both at single exposures with a bit of processing using an ancient version of Paint Shop Pro.  The first was with a 6" F18 achromat (actually a 9" F12, stopped to 6") and an AP Barcon barlow.  The second, Clavius image was through a SW 120ED and a 3X barlow.

Jeff

Attached Thumbnails

• Moon 1.jpg
  • Img_0142 cropped.jpg

Edited by Jeff B, 18 October 2019 - 11:17 AM.

#6 WestCoastCannuck

WestCoastCannuck

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2019 - 12:43 PM

Nice images Mike, with good processing.  That's quite the stack of teleconverters you used!  But it seems to have worked.  I notice you said you presorted the images in PIPP.  PIPP is great for converting a file into a different format or cropping into a subset of videos, but I wouldn't let it do any of the quality sorting.  I'd leave that to AS!3 entirely.  I notice some false color along the limb in your color images, which could be chromatic aberration but is also likely from atmospheric dispersion due to your location and the low elevation of the Moon above the horizon.  This will be one of the great benefits to imaging with your new mono camera.  I'm sure you will like the ASI183mm for the Moon.  

Thanks much Tom for your feedback!!  Yes, the multi teleconverters worked surprisingly with my DSLR!  For the ASI183MM my 400/4.5 with a 2X (800/F9)  or my 300/2.8 with 3X (900/F8.4) works best.   I no longer use PIPP for quality sorting, I use the sorting in AS!3 now.  I do love the new setup and I have been practicing with it on mediocre nights.  Can hardly wait for a really decent session.  

Best so far with my C8 on a 25d elevation moon in lousy seeing with the moon just over my neighbor's roof!!  (wasn't the plan!!)   lol - still great fun though!  Cropped out much of the frame here.  Also included is a look at my stack (I believe best 200 of 1600 files) before applying first round of processing. After deconvolution I reduced size, then applied unsharp mask to the file before doing final work in LR6.  Lot of work for so-so result!  lol...  but isn't that the way sometimes.  And I need the practice.

i-S3tKSM5.jpgi-2n6ft7k.jpgi-fXTnftJ-L.jpg

Edited by WestCoastCannuck, 18 October 2019 - 12:47 PM.

#7 WestCoastCannuck

WestCoastCannuck

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2019 - 12:46 PM

Good stuff Mike.

I'm messing around with my Canon 6D for lunar images and I'm surprised at how nice of an image I can get.  Here are two examples.  Both at single exposures with a bit of processing using an ancient version of Paint Shop Pro.  The first was with a 6" F18 achromat (actually a 9" F12, stopped to 6") and an AP Barcon barlow.  The second, Clavius image was through a SW 120ED and a 3X barlow.

Jeff

Thanks much Jeff!

Nothing beats BIG aperture!!  lol  I expect I will get around to trying my Sony A99ii on my scopes at some point as well!!  My sessions are by necessity rather short usually, but I will.  Have too many options now!  haha

Best regards

Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics