•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Precise Parts Still Open?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Nanaimo, BC

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:05 AM

I'v sent an email and have called several times over the past few days. No response.

Their phone recording says they will call back within 2 hours. No response.

I think their current turnaround on a order is like 21 days? Seems impossible to place an order if you need to ask a few questions though?

Anyone know if something is up with them?

Are their any competitors that I might try?

Edited by GeneralT001, 17 October 2019 - 10:26 AM.

#2 psandelle

psandelle

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:34 AM

I just got something from them a couple weeks ago, right on time. I'm not saying they're not open to discussions, but I mostly just set-and-forget, so maybe they're more used to that as well (I did get an adapter put on their list, though). But they're around.

Paul

#3 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:04 AM

In my experience, Precise Parts is run as an "automated business."  Enter what you want on the site and you'll get a confirmation of order.  The part will arrive pretty much when they say it will.  If you want to discuss something with them, you can mostly forget about it.  You can get a hold of them but it can be hard and they are not flexible.  In my view, that's ok...as long as they keep making high quality parts.  The Astro community will be really hard-up if they disappear.

John

• psandelle, Jeff Struve and PirateMike like this

#4 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:11 AM

Okay, went ahead and ordered it.  Not thrilled that you can't get to speak to someone - why even have a phone message saying they'll get back to you in 2 hours? 

#5 psandelle

psandelle

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:11 AM

The Astro community will be really hard-up if they disappear.

I'd be totally lost!

Paul

• PirateMike and Gene3 like this

#6 Delta608

Delta608

Messenger

• Loc: Tampa Bay Florida

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:36 AM

I'v sent an email and have called several times over the past few days. No response.

Their phone recording says they will call back within 2 hours. No response.

I think their current turnaround on a order is like 21 days? Seems impossible to place an order if you need to ask a few questions though?

Anyone know if something is up with them?

Are their any competitors that I might try?

Have you tried this, from their site...

"For inquiries about our services and for assistance with our app, we recommend checking the comprehensive Help Page for faster response before contacting us by phone or email. We have designed our help information based on 10 plus years of customer inquiries and feedback, thus we are confident you will find your answer there."

#7 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:38 AM

Have you tried this, from their site...

"For inquiries about our services and for assistance with our app, we recommend checking the comprehensive Help Page for faster response before contacting us by phone or email. We have designed our help information based on 10 plus years of customer inquiries and feedback, thus we are confident you will find your answer there."

Yes, been there, done that, got the T-shirt :). I have a specific question that needs a voice to answer.

#8 jfrech14

jfrech14

Viking 1

• Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 17 October 2019 - 12:36 PM

I've gotten a response from them before, but only when the part I received was incorrect. They were not all that awesome to work with until they accepted it was wrong. Once they agreed to fix it, they were pretty good to work with. They just asked for the part it mates to so they can correct it and then I got the new part and the borrowed part back in a reasonable amount of time. Their parts are awesome, so my experience with them didn't affect me going through them. But, at least I heard back from them when I needed to.

This was about 5 years ago and was a Celestron part that I would say most people wouldn't go through the expense of a precise part to get set up. I am pretty sure the design was wrong and hadn't been used yet, not the machining job.

#9 mountman

mountman

Sputnik

• Loc: Santa Barbara, CA area

Posted 17 October 2019 - 01:15 PM

I've gotten a lot of parts from them over the last several years.  All of them absolutely spot on.  And, I've had a few phone conversations and email exchanges with Ashley that were helpful and informative to my desired ends.  He definitely knows what he is doing.  Emails have usually been returned within a day.  Phone calls the same.  I've had great luck with them.

#10 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:39 PM

Nothing from them yet. Can't even tell if my payment went through??

Your experience is what it should be...seems to be a rare occurrence.

#11 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:46 PM

If you need an adapter, there is also telescopeadapters.com

#12 cytan299

cytan299

Viking 1

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:00 PM

I emailed them on 13 Sep and got a reply the same day. Perhaps they are on vacation?

cytan

#13 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:10 PM

Its probably something like that - but maybe have a message to that effect on the voice mail?

#14 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:26 PM

Well, another day another email another phone call and nothing returned. Can't get ahold of anyone at precise parts.

#15 jhayes_tucson

jhayes_tucson

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bend, OR

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:15 PM

I personally cannot stand businesses that have poor communications!  It's just pathetic.  Still, with Precise Parts, it may be too early to panic.  It is a really small business and they may just be away from the shop.  Did you get an email response to your order?  That usually comes within a day or two after placing an order.

John

#16 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:06 PM

No, its been absolute crickets since I started trying to communicate with them on Monday. I've phoned and emailed each day - both through their own email online (at PreciseParts website) and my personal emails.

#17 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:13 PM

Also, I guess my payment never went through. I've tried paying several times over the week and I always end up with this - when trying to pay directly with my credit card:

preciseparts.JPG

Or this when using PayPal - even though PayPal never shows the purchase?

Preciseparts2.JPG

Maybe they have gone under?

Edited by GeneralT001, 18 October 2019 - 08:18 PM.

#18 Monkeybird747

Monkeybird747

Viking 1

• Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:09 PM

Also, I guess my payment never went through. I've tried paying several times over the week and I always end up with this - when trying to pay directly with my credit card:

attachicon.gif preciseparts.JPG

Or this when using PayPal - even though PayPal never shows the purchase?

attachicon.gif Preciseparts2.JPG

Maybe they have gone under?

Check the help section under payments. There is a note about this error. I had the same thing on a purchase once. Unfortunately I don't remember exactly how I resolved it. Have you tried using paypal from another device to pay for the part?

Edited by Monkeybird747, 18 October 2019 - 10:10 PM.

#19 GeneralT001

GeneralT001

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2019 - 12:28 AM

Check the help section under payments. There is a note about this error. I had the same thing on a purchase once. Unfortunately I don't remember exactly how I resolved it. Have you tried using paypal from another device to pay for the part?

Hey,

Thanks Monkeybird. Went through the help questions re payment and sure enough, I had to delete the cookies for PayPal and then payment went through without issue. See where it goes from here :)

#20 MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Florida

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:41 AM

They replied to my email a few weeks ago after only a few days and were very helpful. :)

Very best,

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics