•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Newly-Arrived Questar (Post yours here)

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:14 PM

Because we don't need a new thread for every new arrival, I'll start this and post here.  Post your new (and used) Questar acquisitions here if you wish.

I just finished a full takedown and cleaning of a failed Questar 700 lens yesterday, and made a video of the whole process.  It came (cheaply $175 plus shipping accepted as my offer) "AS IS FOR PARTS OR REPAIR ONLY" and showed a foggy lens that I didn't realize at the time was as bad as it was, but which I still thought might be cleaned.  I'm starting to think that the pattern of fog on interior optical surfaces is because of the outgassing of some adhesive (perhaps the baffle cone) or even the 100+ square inches of greased surface exposed to the interior.

I actually forgot about the fog until I was well into the process of dismantling for cleaning.  I had removed and cleaned the corrector before, but never found the secret to separating the barrel from the base to access the mirror and field flattener lenses (It's under the rubber grip).  My recent exploration into dismantling and restoring Nikon vintage manual camera lenses gave me a lot of insight and confidence.

In lieu of the obligatory photos, I'll post the link to the Youtube video, which ended up over an hour.  It was especially fun because I was exploring places I'd never explored before.

PS:  I just logged this in, and it's the sequential serial number of my first 700, and the latest 700 I have in my log of all sales I could find.  Maybe I should make these into binoculars?  (Seriously, a focusing mechanism with a big belt?)  I have way too many 700s, but can't help it when there is a model in distress.

Edited by Optics Patent, 17 October 2019 - 05:35 PM.

#2 spereira

spereira

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 17 October 2019 - 02:44 PM

Thanks for reviving this idea, Ben!

FWIW, there was a topic like this in the past:

https://www.cloudyni...e/#entry8667991

Last post on 15 July this year.  I guess it must have gone into disuse, although I cannot fathom why.

smp

• Optics Patent likes this

#3 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:58 PM

IMG 2963

The item on the left is a recent arrival.  It's a wedge on a Gitzo tripod that was a combo sold by Questar for a short time (I can't readily find it under "wedge" in the big price list spreadsheet).  The seller said that Questar said recently they sold maybe 20 of these.  It has a threaded rod that adjusts the latitude, but only to about 34 degrees, so I'm likely to replace it with a slightly longer one for my 33 degree latitude.  I may also cap the end to prevent it from being withdrawn from the pivoting nut.  It has a big white plastic (presumably Delrin) puck that is engaged by the tripod, and provides the pedestal for the wedge to rotate on.  The three metal set screws around the side loosen to allow azimuth rotation, and are in a peripheral groove of the puck so that when slightly loose the wedge can't be lifted off.

I juxtapose it with the lab stand for the QM-1 microscope.  A friend made a replacement foot for me, and I'm working on wiring up a switch box to operate each of the motorized axes.  One of the gear reducers (Swiss made like a watch) has a missing tooth, so needed to be replaced.  Happily it's the same part as decades ago, and only cost about $120.  If I couldn't have done that I'd have converted it to manual crank operation.

I could easily see moving the telescope wedge to the microscope pier for use as a realistic portable tripod, akin to a Tri-stand.  The motorized three axis stage is a work of fine (and heavy!) machinery, and its greatest value to me is as a curious and handsome display stand for the QM-1.

Edited by Optics Patent, 21 October 2019 - 05:03 PM.

• ianatcn, Terra Nova, kansas skies and 1 other like this

#4 cbwerner

cbwerner

Bicycle Repairman

• Administrators
  • Loc: Maidens, VA

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:02 PM

That's a sweet looking wedge there Ben! Nice catch! :)

#5 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:15 PM

The item on the left is a recent arrival.  It's a wedge on a Gitzo tripod that was a combo sold by Questar for a short time (I can't readily find it under "wedge" in the big price list spreadsheet).  The seller said that Questar said recently they sold maybe 20 of these.  It has a threaded rod that adjusts the latitude, but only to about 34 degrees, so I'm likely to replace it with a slightly longer one for my 33 degree latitude. 

The Q was designed to work in Pennsylvania!

This wedge was intended for the standard, right, not the 7?  It's a beauty!

Jim

#6 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:50 PM

Yes, it’s sized for the 3.5.
  • JamesMStephens likes this

#7 Johninuk

Johninuk

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Nottingham UK

Posted 22 October 2019 - 03:19 PM

This 1980 standard is not quite"newly-arrived",as I bought it over a year ago.It has recently been back to Questar for a full service and fitting a PG3.

The focus shift was horrendous and the alt slow motion was slipping.Both these issues have thankfully been resolved,and we're ready to go!  Its mounted on a AstroTrac wedge on top of a pillar.Im planning to get a heavy duty photo tripod at some point,to make it easier to transport.The next project is to renovate the leather case,as the velvet lining is perished.Managed to prise off the door lining to remove the pockets,so I can fit new velvet.

So far so good.       john.IMG_20191005_121623.jpg

• Erik Bakker, R Botero, ianatcn and 6 others like this

#8 coz

coz

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:19 AM

I'm very happy to say that I found this Q7 Classic recently. It's from 2005 and mint. I've been looking for a long time.
Quartz mirror

Titanium version with control box

1/10 PV spec with zygo

s/n is just under 1k   I didn't realize how limited these are considering 50yrs in production.

It came on a GEM mount. I'm really thinking of getting a Questar fork just for ease of use. I'm basically visual only. 

The build quality is amazing and I have a smaller Q but it meets or exceeds it.

I had a brief first light and although seeing wasn't great I can tell this will perform!  I was viewing Jupiter and Saturn around 200x or so. 

Clear skies 

Attached Thumbnails

• Q7.jpg

• Erik Bakker, Wisconsin Steve, R Botero and 5 others like this

#9 spereira

spereira

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 23 October 2019 - 07:31 AM

I'm very happy to say that I found this Q7 Classic recently. It's from 2005 and mint. I've been looking for a long time. ...

Congratulations!

There's been a Q7 on AM for quite some time that disappeared recently - did you purchase that one?

smp

#10 coz

coz

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:34 AM

Hi Stephen,  thank you very much! I'm very excited about using it.

Yes indeed that was the one. I couldn't resist.

Best

• spereira likes this

#11 Carnation7714

Carnation7714

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Denver Colorado

Posted 23 October 2019 - 01:39 PM

I just acquired a Vintage Questar telescope.  It’s a Field Model, with Pyrex Mirror, Broad-band and Low-reflection coatings.  Came with a camera  mount and two eye pieces, Questar 16mm and Brandon 24 mm.  Everything is in in very fine condition.  First viewing through it was remarkable.  It’s the first-time viewing planets through a telescope and was impressed by the rings of Saturn.

DSC_0037_00001.jpg

Carman

Edited by Carnation7714, 23 October 2019 - 01:48 PM.

• Wisconsin Steve, R Botero, Kevin Barker and 4 others like this

#12 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 October 2019 - 10:12 AM

I just received this cinema model, demonstrated by my favorite product tester (but he will soon have competition!).

IMG 2983

As discussed in this thread about Questar Cinema models in which I report on receiving an historic example formerly owned  by cinematographer David Quaid, who developed the model with Questar, this is a rarity.  In my limited recent years of observation of sales on Ebay and CN, and going back about 15 years on AM, that and this are the only Cinema models ever offered.

I was thrilled to see this pop up, and grateful that no one had beat me when I spotted it a day after it was listed.  The main reason is that this has the focus-pulling semi-circle that makes such a wonderful display.  This was not offered or even advertised on all models, so my original/prototype example is not missing it.  As I recall, Mr. Quaid's daughter who sold me the original said that the guide would not have been part of a normal cinema kit, because it was too vulnerable to damage and because most users have other ways to mark focus points.

This one is in great shape, and missing only the indicator rod that points to the numbers on the face of the plate.  The included rod extends much longer, and presumably serves as a "handle" for focusing, as an alternative to the large knobs.  The optics look perfect (haven't tested yet) and the main deficiency is noticeable fading of the black support ring and lens cap.  I'll keep an eye out for a donor ring for a potential transplant.

I may transplant the focus plate setup to the Quaid model, and then let this find a new home, but may be tempted to either display this and protectively store the historic Quaid model, or display both.  Below is this one, with the Arriflex attached and ready for Lights, Camera, Action!

IMG 2992(1)

Here's a backyard shot through the viewfinder of the Arriflex with a cell phone:

IMG 2993

Edited by Optics Patent, 26 October 2019 - 11:38 AM.

• rolo, R Botero, coz and 4 others like this

#13 Loren Gibson

Loren Gibson

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Florida, USA

Posted 26 October 2019 - 10:25 AM

Ben, glad to see you have a new toy (looks awesome!), a fantastic tester, and it's especially wonderful to hear that another tester is on the way! Congrats! This means you'll be able to double the frequency of your Questar purchases due to the increase in the tester workforce.

Loren

• Optics Patent likes this

#14 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 October 2019 - 10:50 AM

Here's an oddity.  I took apart this one (of too many) 700s I acquired in recent times.  (Remove the rubber grip by rolling a toothpick underneath, then remove the setscrew when aligned with hole and unscrew).

The secondary spot has it's own little central baffle.  No need to reflect any rays from that central circle.  This was an early model (#10192).  I'll soon remove the mirror for cleaning, and also the field flattener lenses, which are rather dirty.

IMG 3021

• rolo likes this

#15 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:46 PM

I modified the wedge above with a longer shaft that adds 5 degrees of latitude to include my own at 33 degrees, with a useful inch of travel remaining for sloped terrain or field trips south.  The cap nut set serves to limit movement and prevent it running off the bearings.  I note that for a proper display, the scope should be of a newer era with the same badge.

IMG 3140

• cbwerner, rolo, Terra Nova and 4 others like this

#16 kansas skies

kansas skies

Apollo

• Loc: The middle of nowhere, USA

Posted 13 November 2019 - 06:46 PM

After 35 years of drooling, I finally broke down and acquired my first (and most likely only) Questar - a 1979 Standard with Broadband coatings. Although not pristine, it is a very nice and amazing little scope. I've had it now for about a month or so, and beginning to get quite comfortable with the controls. The first time I had it out (the evening of the day it arrived), the sky was the best I had seen in quite awhile. Jupiter was awash with detail with a tiny, yet well-defined and very black disk of a moon's shadow showing on the surface. As another moon passed behind the planet, it maintained its perfect disk shape all the way until finally disappearing. Saturn was amazingly crisp and clear, with the Cassini Division displayed as a very black and solid line. All this at 140x - To say the least, I was very impressed!!!

Unfortunately, after that night, the skies deteriorated and I've yet to experience a replay...

Bill

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_7550_copy.jpg

• cbwerner, rolo, ianatcn and 3 others like this

#17 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• Loc: GA

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:23 PM

I just received this cinema model, demonstrated by my favorite product tester (but he will soon have competition!).

As discussed in this thread about Questar Cinema models in which I report on receiving an historic example formerly owned  by cinematographer David Quaid, who developed the model with Questar, this is a rarity.  In my limited recent years of observation of sales on Ebay and CN, and going back about 15 years on AM, that and this are the only Cinema models ever offered.

I was thrilled to see this pop up, and grateful that no one had beat me when I spotted it a day after it was listed.  The main reason is that this has the focus-pulling semi-circle that makes such a wonderful display.  This was not offered or even advertised on all models, so my original/prototype example is not missing it.  As I recall, Mr. Quaid's daughter who sold me the original said that the guide would not have been part of a normal cinema kit, because it was too vulnerable to damage and because most users have other ways to mark focus points.

This one is in great shape, and missing only the indicator rod that points to the numbers on the face of the plate.  The included rod extends much longer, and presumably serves as a "handle" for focusing, as an alternative to the large knobs.  The optics look perfect (haven't tested yet) and the main deficiency is noticeable fading of the black support ring and lens cap.  I'll keep an eye out for a donor ring for a potential transplant.

I may transplant the focus plate setup to the Quaid model, and then let this find a new home, but may be tempted to either display this and protectively store the historic Quaid model, or display both.  Below is this one, with the Arriflex attached and ready for Lights, Camera, Action!

Here's a backyard shot through the viewfinder of the Arriflex with a cell phone:

I saw that model today in Instruction Book II that came with my Fast Focus Questar.

Attached Thumbnails

• image1.jpeg
  • image111.jpeg

Edited by rolo, 13 November 2019 - 07:25 PM.

• Terra Nova, rcwolpert, kansas skies and 1 other like this

#18 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:52 AM

How to get a FREE Questar telescope?

I'm happy with another new arrival.  This is my first Field Ranger, which is essentially an "Astro" model, lacking a control box.  I have a very early Field model, and rugged model that are similar, though the rugged model is just a tube with no mounting means.  To review, this "astro" upgrade (marketed in 7" scopes) means no finder, no prism, no Barlow.

This example included a detailed instruction manual dated 2001, in pristine condition, and a plethora of accessories.

The pristine condition includes optics so clean they are virtually invisible, and cosmetic finishes that are factory new.  I suspect this has never been deployed in any manner.  Tell tale hints include the base surface that is entirely scratch free m- this is the first to go, and even if worn does not impair value. 

My best Questar collector's "secret" is to find the value in "packages." 

This one appears to have been ordered with "the works," and undoubtedly the purchaser was spending someone else's money (corporation, institution, or government).  Consider the value of just the accessories when purchased at retail:

Original Underwater Kinetics Case $300

Inverting prism $300

2 Brandons $500

Extension tubes with unusual jewel-like finish and seamless joints (see below - that's three elements plus the larger prism housing) $200

3 Positive lenses $1775(!)

Swivel coupling $115

Filter housing $225

3 drop-in filters (all useful ND for solar and lunar) $330

Eyepiece T-coupler and threaded dust cap $75 (Never seen this beauty before).

That's $3705 at full estimated retail.  Rule of thumb is half that for market value if in good condition and not a discontinued collectible.  That's $1852.  Call it $1500.  Without the scope!  Call it 1/3 (fast sale of unneeded parts) and it's about what I paid (including the infernal new Ebay sales tax).  Yet as happens with a good purchase, this feels like a well-curated set that has value for all being of the same period, and I'm unlikely to sell anything except the equivalents from my existing collection that are not so well matched (positive lenses, extension tubes, etc.)

IMG 3166

IMG 3167

The Schmidt-Pechan erecting (actually, rotating unlike the typical L-R reversed Questar view) prism has some peeled black paint backing on some prism surfaces and gives some minor artifacts when viewed through in bright daylight.  Might not affect viewing through a scope with less stray light concern.  Fine for casual terrestrial observation I predict.  I remain struck by the jewel-finish machining and anodized surfaces on the extension tubes.  I've seen the seamless look on rifles with screw-on muzzle devices that are machined flush with the barrel for an invisible joint.  While I might have sold off yet another extension tube set to someone in need, this is too handsome to part with and should display nicely.

I should note that the positive lenses (focal reducers) are the opposite of Barlows, and are ideal for an astrophotographer with a small-frame (APS-c, DX) digital camera who wants to image the entire field, with greater brightness and sharpness.

• R Botero, Terra Nova, kansas skies and 2 others like this

#19 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 November 2019 - 04:45 PM

Another new acquisition today:

IMG 3170

• cbwerner, drprovi57, Steve C. and 9 others like this

#20 Toddeo

Toddeo

Apollo

• Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 15 November 2019 - 08:20 PM

SWEETbow.gif bow.gif bow.gif

• retroman2 and BillHarris like this

#21 Mike2567

Mike2567

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:46 PM

This 1980 standard is not quite"newly-arrived",as I bought it over a year ago.It has recently been back to Questar for a full service and fitting a PG3.

The focus shift was horrendous and the alt slow motion was slipping.Both these issues have thankfully been resolved,and we're ready to go!  Its mounted on a AstroTrac wedge on top of a pillar.Im planning to get a heavy duty photo tripod at some point,to make it easier to transport.The next project is to renovate the leather case,as the velvet lining is perished.Managed to prise off the door lining to remove the pockets,so I can fit new velvet.

So far so good.       john.attachicon.gif IMG_20191005_121623.jpg

John, what model is that wedge?

• retroman2 likes this

#22 Johninuk

Johninuk

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Nottingham UK

Posted 16 November 2019 - 09:46 AM

Mike.
The wedge is a TW3100.Used with the earlier version of Astrotrac.
Not cheap but beautifully made to compliment the Questar.Had to machine a plate to fit it to the Pillar.
Regards John.

#23 munirocks

munirocks

Viking 1

• Loc: Bourne End, UK

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:07 AM

Can't quite put my finger on it but I'm sensing some kind of a theme here.

• retroman2 likes this

#24 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 December 2019 - 05:49 PM

Here's an Questar Birder Ebay buy-it-now I had to rescue.  On arrival, the exterior surfaces were worse than I had hoped, but it's cleaned up well.

IMG 3546

The purple barrel and dew shield cleaned to perfection, as the the mirror bracket.  Broadband optics are stellar, and all the mechanicals are good.  On knob was missing its lever and will be replaced.  The finder mirror is replaced with a freshly coated one.

The unfortunate thing is that this was stored in an original case with 1982 foam, and this had begun to eat away at the finishes.  The black support ring needed lots of cleanup (scraping with fingernail) but is clean even if it has some "rash" where the black coloration was lost.  The eyepiece holder was gummed up, but I got it to operate smoothly.  Control box paint has some marks. 

Finder now collimated.

The optics including the special finder optics are great, so this will find a happy new owner as I already have one (an early 1967 Quartz Field Model later factory converted). 

• Wisconsin Steve, Terra Nova, pao and 1 other like this

#25 davidmcgo

davidmcgo

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 19 December 2019 - 03:35 PM

Not quite a Questar but a full set of Brandon’s I snagged for $450 on eBay.  The case foam was disintegrating to dust and I replaced with some grey scraps I had.  The eyepieces all are really close to new condition.

These are not threaded but focus just fine with the finder in the TeleVue adapter.  The 12mm is a bit of an oddball with what appear to be green hued multicoatings and needs about two turns out on the diopter adjustment compared to the rest of the set but appears to be stock, no sign of any tampering.

Dave

Attached Thumbnails

• 108FB821-0845-4A27-AB9B-7A405E69E31D.jpeg
  • ACEAFAB2-8415-41A6-9B5D-086A22C1A74E.jpeg

• Wisconsin Steve, Terra Nova, pao and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics