•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Newly-Arrived Questar (Post yours here)

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:18 AM

Congratulations!!!

They're not email people. Phone calls work far better.

I'm curious. What's the serial number?

Yes unfortunately being located outside of the US I had hoped to avoid a long distance call hence the email. Still no reply so I’m definitely hearing you about just making the call. :-/

Oh as for number. 72

Edited by Seiko4169, 20 February 2020 - 08:19 AM.

• cbwerner likes this

#52 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:27 AM

What a wonderful Q 50th! Optics seem superlative and a wonderful array of accessories is included with yours.

Curious to how it compares in actual use to your C5.
Perhaps you will find there's place for both in your stable or you prefer to keep just the Q50th?

Many years ago I bought my Super C5 Plus from a gentleman who also had a Q 3.5 field scope. When talking to him a few years later, he still missed the extra light gathering of the C5. Though beauty, contrast and ease of use are another matter of course.

To be honest my c5 is ok, it’s never bowled me over and is only used as my quick grab and go. I prefer to look at it visually as a ‘cool’ sci-fi looking scope rather than through it!
For visual I switch to one of the Tak’s. The FSQ 130 for low power wide field views or the Mewlon for planetary.

The Q will be the simplified grab and go for the moon and again it’s aperture sets my expectations. I actually had an original ETX 90 with superb optics so I’m assuming the Q will be of similar performance at the mag powers I’ll be viewing at. The fit, finish and experience however will be totally different. The ETX and Nexstar 5i all kind of get in the way of a quick grab and go. Even the starsense camera on the 5i didn’t make the experience agile enough.

So hopefully the q will put up some lovely views of the moon and it’s pure convenience get me viewing more.

The FSQ 130 provides the nicest views of anything I’ve looked through but even those views don’t pull me outside enough due to the setup and mounting requirements etc.
  • Erik Bakker likes this

#53 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:49 AM

Thanks for sharing those insights in your experience with using these scopes!

#54 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 20 February 2020 - 08:51 AM

[....]

So hopefully the q will put up some lovely views of the moon and it’s pure convenience get me viewing more.

The FSQ 130 provides the nicest views of anything I’ve looked through but even those views don’t pull me outside enough due to the setup and mounting requirements etc.

That's one of the lessons I've learned too. Being a slow student, it took me decades to fully comprehend the virtues of small, user friendly, great scopes bigblush.gif

#55 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:58 AM

I actually had an original ETX 90 with superb optics so I’m assuming the Q will be of similar performance at the mag powers I’ll be viewing at. The fit, finish and experience however will be totally different.

As you settle in with your Questar, I'd be interested to know your thoughts about how it compares with how you remember your ETX 90. Your comparison immediately brought to mind Ed Ting's writeup entitled "90 mm Maksutov Comparo."

#56 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:19 PM

As you settle in with your Questar, I'd be interested to know your thoughts about how it compares with how you remember your ETX 90. Your comparison immediately brought to mind Ed Ting's writeup entitled "90 mm Maksutov Comparo."

Well I’ve read Ed Ting’s reviews many times and had been a little anxious when he said he didn’t get on with the finder and it took time for him to master the Q. Well thankfully I didn’t have those issues. With a break in the bad weather and pretty decent seeing I took the Questar out on the tristand and within a few minutes had roughly polar aligned and turned on the tracking. From that moment the tracking just disappeared into the background, worked flawlessly and silently. I had pondered whether to use the tristand as it’s still quite heavy but having now used it I realize it’s a perfect partner for the Q. Once sitting it all just feels right. The rotating eye piece tray is positioned perfectly, slow motion controls for alignment smooth and the whole thing just feels part of a system that doesn’t get in the way.

Optically, even before the scope had reached perfect equilibrium a quick check on a few stars showed beautiful and perfect concentric rings without the internal barlow. When the scope cooled completely the stars really were pin pricks and even though everything feels a little tight the 24mm Brandon is a joy.

Where as Ed’s review perhaps suggested the finder wasn’t a great experience it was probably my favorite aspect. Flicking the finder switch and pushing the little scope to a region of the sky, then flicking the switch back felt incredibly natural, fast fluid and effective. The finder view for me was perfect and switching back to the genuine scope view amazing. I certainly didn’t use it to do some serious star hopping but for the casual observer I think it’s one of the best finder systems around.

In terms of the views the 24 although a little cramped was probably my favorite of the night and just managed to fit the majority of the double cluster into the view. I’ve viewed the double cluster in all my scopes and although nothing beats the FSQ130 for the smallest pin pricks of light I really enjoyed just how sharp the optics of the Q where. I still think I’ll need a little wider and will look for the 32mm.

With limited targets, I didn’t have a long test of the internal barlow. I certainly noted that once engaged the barlow did steal a fraction from the perfect concentric rings dependent on the eyepiece. Oddly it appeared to effect the 24mm more than the 8. Without the internal barlow seeing perfect bullseyes was very rewarding but engaging the barlow and seeing not so quite perfect bullseyes not so much. I’m being picky for sure as the difference is very small at 8mm but it is present. 

I also found that the engagement of the barlow did not have a definitive stop and start position. Where as the finder had a very rewarding and clear start and stop to the motion I felt the barlow movement had almost 4 positions. A position just before the start and a position just after the barlow had been engaged. Moving incredibly gently you could still feel the positions past the start and stop. I don’t know if it was the lever simply slipping or the movement assembly itself but overall it certainly did not detract from the experience.

So the first few hours of the little Q were as good as I’d hoped and I’m some ways better. It’s an incredible package that really does let you see what you want to see. It doesn’t have the grasp of a larger scope but brings in a huge amount of joy bringing in what it can see. The overall experience with the Q is real and certainly worth the premium. 

Lastly, it’s been a long time since I last had the ETX but still remember fondly some of the views it brought up once you’d managed to fight it to get it to point to the right place. With it’s awful finder, loose gears it was always a pain and detriment to the experience. It’s views though were good but this little Q is a noticeable step up. Finding focus is literally a snap. The focuser buttery smooth and the focus point simply snaps into view. Neither my ETX or Q had or have any focus shift to worry about but optically I think this Q is genuinely a notch sharper. When the moon finally arrives I’ll be able to check more. Hopefully the internal barlow isn’t going to steal too much contrast if it is ever so slightly out but time will tell.

Overall, thrilled with just what this little scope can deliver. Thank you Questar.

#57 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 20 February 2020 - 05:44 PM

Thank you very much for your thoughtful, well-written post, Seiko4169. I'm sure all of us are delighted for you!

I also found that the engagement of the barlow did not have a definitive stop and start position. Where as the finder had a very rewarding and clear start and stop to the motion I felt the barlow movement had almost 4 positions. A position just before the start and a position just after the barlow had been engaged. Moving incredibly gently you could still feel the positions past the start and stop. I don’t know if it was the lever simply slipping or the movement assembly itself but overall it certainly did not detract from the experience.

For an inside look at the Barlow action, check out "Control Box Disassembly, Barlow Service," the first of Ben's series of videos on servicing Questars.

#58 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 February 2020 - 06:44 AM

Thank you very much for your thoughtful, well-written post, Seiko4169. I'm sure all of us are delighted for you!

For an inside look at the Barlow action, check out "Control Box Disassembly, Barlow Service," the first of Ben's series of videos on servicing Questars.

Thanks, I suspect from the video the center collar behind the level that binds to the shaft is loose. Does anyone know what size Bristol it is for the control knobs screws? I don’t want to adjust the shaft just want to make sure the collar doesn’t slip.

Edited by Seiko4169, 21 February 2020 - 10:14 AM.

#59 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 21 February 2020 - 10:49 AM

Have a look at this CN post for the correct Bristol wrench. You might also consider contacting Questar for the correct one.

#60 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:45 AM

Have a look at this CN post for the correct Bristol wrench. You might also consider contacting Questar for the correct one.

Thanks those are the ones but it’s a USA purchase which proportionally speaking doubles the cost. I’d be looking at $40 for one wrench as I have no need for the others. So if someone knows the size I might be able to find a UK based supplier.

#61 Gregory Gross

Gregory Gross

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 21 February 2020 - 11:54 AM

The size is indicated in both the CN post and the eBay product description. From the latter: "the Questar Telescopes use 6-flute Bristol Wrenches  0.060 for the knob-set screws  and  0.096 for the Control Box and Finder Mirror Bracket." Numbers are in thousandths of an inch.

#62 Seiko4169

Seiko4169

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:08 PM

The size is indicated in both the CN post and the eBay product description. From the latter: "the Questar Telescopes use 6-flute Bristol Wrenches 0.060 for the knob-set screws and 0.096 for the Control Box and Finder Mirror Bracket." Numbers are in thousandths of an inch.

Doh, thanks and that will teach me to jump to the eBay link before reading the post. Thank you

Edited by Seiko4169, 21 February 2020 - 12:09 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics