•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Aunt Sue's telescope

classic mirror making tripod
  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dandy

Dandy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Mid Hudson Valley

Posted 17 October 2019 - 03:54 PM

Sometime in the late 1960s or ’70s, my Aunt Sue made a telescope. She took a class somewhere in New York City and my recollection is that she ground her own mirror. (Totally like her to decide to do such a thing, and she would have approached the task with her usual meticulous determination.)

I am now the possessor of the telescope and I have no idea what to do with it! I can’t even be sure that I have all of the pieces. It appears to be an A. Jaegers stand but it is somewhat different from the images that I have found and I have been unable to get the pieces to line up and bolt together in the way it seems logical to do so. It appears that the big tube with the mirror in it (forgive the high tech vocabulary) is to be fastened to the saddle with the large pipe clamps. But until I figure out the base I can’t figure out the rest of it.

I feel compelled to try to make it work and find myself unable to get rid of it without trying. Can anyone help me out with this problem?telescope.jpg

• Paul Hyndman, tim53, Terra Nova and 7 others like this

#2 JoeInMN

JoeInMN

Mariner 2

• Loc: Minneapolis, MN, USA

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:26 PM

Don't get rid of it!! Its family backstory gives it value beyond its material worth... It looks like you have all the parts to assemble it, unless maybe some loose nuts and bolts have gotten lost as they tend to do. The tube with the big mirror (the primary) in it should also have a smaller angled mirror (the secondary) mounted in line with the focuser. The reflective coatings on the mirrors are probably dusty, but the coatings are delicate, and if they do need cleaning, don't do it without advice from people here.

• tim53, quality guy and Augustus like this

#3 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:35 PM

I think I would have liked your Aunt Sue  :)

#4 Hank Banker

Hank Banker

Lift Off

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:43 PM

Where do you live? Maybe a local CN member or club can be of assistance.

#5 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:02 PM

That looks like an old Jaeger's equatorial mount.  The black pipe is the mount vertical stand or pier and the 3 legs attach to the bottom which should have screws or screw studs in it.  It appears to have brace arms to reduce vibration that go from the end of each leg to the mount pipe. The part with the counter weight with 2 swivel axis is the equatorial head that goes on the top of the support pipe. Once in the proper orientation the telescope tube fits into a curved saddle that is part of the head and is held in place with the two clamp straps that are adjustable.  The are similar to large hose clamps. Not sure about some of the smaller parts.  I'm sure someone here has probably had or is very familiar with that mount and will answer.

Frank 

#6 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Viking 1

• Loc: Spring Valley AZ.

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:11 PM

Can't make out all the details, but 3 base legs attach to bottom of center post/pipe. Small holes allows screws thru pipe and legs. 3 supports attach to center post/pipe and each base leg. Should then stand firm and steady. Saddle/mount slips over top of post/pipe. Then you're off to the races. Hopefully. wink.gif

#7 Joe Cepleur

Joe Cepleur

Gemini

• Loc: Dark North Woods

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:42 PM

Welcome! Glad you found us. We'll get you and Aunt Sue rolling. 

The trouble is that you can not picture in your mind what you are trying to assemble. The German Equatorial Mount ("GEM") makes perfect sense when you understand what it is and how it works, but it is an awful mystery to the uninitiated. It is an analog computer, able to find any star in the sky by dialing numbers on those numbered setting circles. 

Here, for starters, is a King Size GEM, supporting one of the most famous telescopes on this forum, the Horsetrail Cave. At the far left of the mount (the part holding the telescope to the pier) is a squared box containing a motor (your telescope operates manually; there is no motor). It is attached to the end of a shaft mounted diagonally to the ground. That shaft points at the North Star (if you live in the Northern Hemisphere), and is aligned exactly parallel to the Earth's axis of rotation. When the Earth spins in one direction, that shaft spins in the opposite direction, so that the star stays in view. The other axis twists perpendicularly, allowing the telescope to be pointed anywhere in the sky. Your Aunt Sue did it right! So, you not only get to assemble her telescope; you also get to learn the basics of celestial mechanics, in learning how here mount works. Think of it as an adventure into the workings of her mind, and the minds of all astronomers:

https://www.cloudyni...-you/?p=5558141

Wait a moment after you click that link, for the page to scroll to the right picture, Then, try searching this Classics Forum for "Jaegers GEM" or "Jaegers German Equatorial Mount," to find pictures of your exact mount. 

As an aside, you really should read about the Horsetrail Cave. It is among the best reads on the forum, and it will persuade you that if that telescope can be restored, yours can be, too!

http://www.cloudynig...-12-f6-i-think/

Edited by Joe Cepleur, 17 October 2019 - 05:45 PM.

• Van Do9:3 likes this

#8 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:18 PM

I have a couple of these mounts.  Will have more time to post on the weekend. 

It's a great scope!

#9 bremms

bremms

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SC

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:47 PM

Aunt Sue's scope. Very cool.

#10 jim kuhns

jim kuhns

Viking 1

• Loc: southeast GA.

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:28 PM

The tube appears to be a Parks fiberglass tube with aluminum end rings.

#11 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:29 AM

Hi Dandy,

You haven't been back since your original post so let us know you are here and you'll find a rather unbelievable amount of knowledge, capability, and passion in this forum.  More than you could imagine and ever need to put what you've shown back together. Here's your Jaegers model in my basement which is actually a combination of Jaegers and Edmund parts.  Don't worry, the Jaegers and Edmunds are essentially identical down to major castings.  Some of the major casting probably came from the same foundry and the parts are flip flopped back and forth between Jaegers and Edmund quite a bit. 

Let us know you're still here and before the weekend is out you'll be flooded with help on getting up an running. Especially if Chuck chimes in with a couple more.  Don't leave me solo with this Chuck, you sorta promised - sorta.

Attached Thumbnails

• PA170003.JPG

• astro140, Chuck Hards, Augustus and 1 other like this

#12 Chuck Hards

Chuck Hards

You don't know Swift from Astrola

• Administrators

Posted 19 October 2019 - 04:08 PM

Here's a pic of one of mine, this is the one on the tall pedestal that I use several telescopes on.  It has a Losmandy-style dovetail saddle, I can use a Losmandy-to-Vixen adapter if needed.  This mount uses the stock Jaegers drive which is amazingly good for visual use.  It tracks well at high magnifications with the long Jaegers 4" f/15 on it.  I still have the short pedestal that goes with it, originally it carried a 6" f/8 Newt that featured a Coulter mirror and Edmund and Jaegers hardware.

Under each of the setscrews on the cup that attaches the little 3" gear to the mount, I have placed a Teflon plug about 1/4" thick.  With the setscrews tightened, it acts just like an ordinary friction clutch and is a pleasure to use.

I have another mount exactly like this one down in the basement, next to the Edmund version, but I don't think pics of those would be of much value.

Really the OP just needs step-by-step instructions on disassembly, cleaning, and re-assembly.  Cosmetic issues and recoating can be addressed after it's assembled and functional again, if even needed.

I can't help with any step-by-step right now, Kelly needs most of my time at home and I'm slammed at work, sorry!

Mount 001a.jpg

• Mr Magoo and Defenderslideguitar like this

#13 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 October 2019 - 06:52 PM

Dandy, ready?

• Chuck Hards likes this

#14 Dandy

Dandy

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Mid Hudson Valley

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:24 PM

Thank you all for replying to my post. I am very excited and after I have a chance to carefully digest all of what has been said I will come back with more questions. And I am in Greene County, NY, in the Hudson Valley in the Great Northern Catskills.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#15 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 25 October 2019 - 08:39 PM

I'll leave you with this link for the Edmund version.

Edmund 4.25" scope

Post back here with questions or conquest. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: classic, mirror making, tripod

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics