•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vintage Wood Tripod Leg Separator?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Washington

Posted 17 October 2019 - 04:51 PM

I am looking into making one of those wood tripod leg separators for some of my vintage scopes and was wondering if anyone here might be willing to trace theirs out or supply some kind of diagram with measurements so I can use it to make my own?

Also, I am wondering if there are different sizes/styles for different scopes?

At any rate, they look like they would be really good at keeping the legs safe and others might like to make one too.

Can anyone please help out with this?

Thanks!

#2 Steve Haverl

Steve Haverl

Vostok 1

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:42 PM

If you have a more modern tripod, you could simply trace the metal separator, creating a pattern. I would trace it first onto foam core so that you could test for fit and experiment with position. When satisfied with the above retrace onto wood and proceed with fabrication. I say ‘experiment’ because I’m pretty sure one size will not fit all applications.

In the absence of that, simply create a unilateral triangle on foam core and refine it per above.

#3 agmoonsolns

agmoonsolns

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Washington

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:49 PM

This is very different from the metal tray, it's a piece of wood with felt on it for keeping the legs separated while in the case so they don't rub or bang against each other. It's a very rare piece as it's commonly lost or discarded. I'll try to post some of photos if I can find one online or maybe Chip has a photo of one he can post?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics