•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How Many Mounts do you own and why?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 kel123

kel123

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:26 PM

I am curious to know whether we have mount collectors in the industry who just keep a few mounts as part of the hobby.

I also want to know if you own more than one Astrophotography mounts and for what reason?

I am not talking about those that have used and sold various mounts over the years.

It is about those who feel the need to keep their "old" mounts even when they buy new ones because they simplify have the need for more than one mount at at time.

So, how many mounts do you keep at a time and for what reason?

#2 Hugh Peck

Hugh Peck

Apollo

• Loc: NE WI

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:31 PM

One that I'm keeping and one that's one it's way out the door at the beginning of the month.

• gnowellsct likes this

#3 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:31 PM

I have two Alt/Az Mounts which I use for visual only.  Really however I could get by with one but selling the "other" mount is a "final decision"  as they are no longer made and go for more than they did when new (at least I think).

#4 wrvond

wrvond

Surveyor 1

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:38 PM

I have two ASGT CG5 mounts. One under the SW 120 Pro ED and one under the C8.

I also have an EQ-3 under my Towa 339.

I do have a Meade R5 that I want to sell. I'm thinking of getting a mount for it to sell with it because that seems more complete to me. A beginner's scope should have a mount since a beginner isn't likely to have one laying around...

Edited by wrvond, 17 October 2019 - 05:39 PM.

#5 Bataleon

Bataleon

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:40 PM

I own a CPC, EQ6-R Pro, NexStar SLT, SW Virtuoso and a few oddball camera tripods that I mainly use for my big binoculars.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

#6 vsteblina

vsteblina

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:48 PM

Good question. Excluding DOB scopes.

I bought a AP900 at my first Go To Mount....stuck it in the observatory.

I then bought a EQ-6 as my travel mount. That was a mistake. Great mount, but as heavy as my AP900 and the hand paddle is awful.  Didn't meet my needs as a travel mount.

Then I bought a AVX. Nice mount. The hand paddle is great. I only used it for a couple of weeks total time.  I like the mount....is it a AP900, not by a long shot. 

I guess I am probably the only person that started with a AP 900 and ended up with a AVX. Well, to be fair the AP900 will be there till the end. It is a great mount!!

#7 kel123

kel123

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:58 PM

Good question. Excluding DOB scopes.

I bought a AP900 at my first Go To Mount....stuck it in the observatory.

I then bought a EQ-6 as my travel mount. That was a mistake. Great mount, but as heavy as my AP900 and the hand paddle is awful. Didn't meet my needs as a travel mount.

Then I bought a AVX. Nice mount. The hand paddle is great. I only used it for a couple of weeks total time. I like the mount....is it a AP900, not by a long shot.

I guess I am probably the only person that started with a AP 900 and ended up with a AVX. Well, to be fair the AP900 will be there till the end. It is a great mount!!

Interesting choice. Why AVX and not lets say Rainbow 135. A premium grab and go just like your AP is a premium mount? Thanks for contributing

#8 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Gemini

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 17 October 2019 - 06:23 PM

Three mounts.

1. Primary mount.  Losmandy GM811G
  2. Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer - Grab and go for backpacking and other occasions. 
  3. iOptron SkyGuider Pro - Keep this one at my cabin.

#9 Garyth64

Garyth64

Skylab

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 17 October 2019 - 06:32 PM

Well, I have a few old EQ mounts that come on the older 60mm Tasco and Sears scopes.  They work fine on their wooden mounts.

I have the EQ mount that comes on the 7TE-2, it is one on my G&G mounts, and is more robust than the typical 60mm scope mounts.

I do like the mount that came on my 10TE,  on a homemade wood tripod, it works very well.

With 1" shafts, an old Edmund mount with a CD and adjustment levers on both axis has gone to a few outreach programs with my 3" Sears refractor.

An old Starfinder mount is used a lot, in my backyard.  It has a CD, and a dec tangent arm.

My CG5 mount gets a lot of use, it too goes to most of my outreach events.  It carries my 5" Apogee or the 3" Sears.

I have 3 homemade mounts with 1½" shafts, 2 that are right now idle.  But one of them is carrying my 6" f/10.  That mount has a Cave CD, and tangent arms on both axis.

A few months ago, I purchased a CGEMII.  I have enjoyed it a lot.  It is my first Goto mount, and I've enjoyed have it find things for me that took me forever to find before.  It mostly is used for my 130 APO.

I think that's about it.  I'll have to double check.  smile.gif

Edited by Garyth64, 18 October 2019 - 07:41 AM.

#10 Jeff L

Jeff L

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Easton. Pa

Posted 17 October 2019 - 06:52 PM

Why not?

Attached Thumbnails

• 04174A9A-433E-4E69-8368-F3A667D70009.jpeg

• Jim Waters and telesonic like this

#11 RandallK

RandallK

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Nanaimo, B. C. Canada

Posted 17 October 2019 - 06:54 PM

I have an HEQ5 Pro of 11 years now. Still will use it for imaging. I simply wanted something new and went ahead and go the iOptron CEM40 (Non EC).   Again I stress, only because I wanted something new a 72 years of age!

#12 GregsCNAccount

GregsCNAccount

Sputnik

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:00 PM

I have several mounts used for disparate needs.  When I got my AP 1100GTO I kept my G11 Gemini 1 that had been my astrophotography mount.  It sat for a few years.  Now that a friend lets me take my travel trailer and stay for a few days each new moon at his home under dark skies I recently started bringing both mounts and two imaging scopes and cameras.  The first night is pretty busy getting both mounts polar aligned and both going on an object, but it allows me to nearly double my data collection efficiency.

I also have Nexstar SE and GT mounts that I use at school star parties my club puts on.  Then I still have my first mount, a Celestron C8 Deluxe with its original optical tube, which I have been meaning to put up for sale.  Anyone interested in the Los Angeles area?

And then there is the 15 inch Dob.

#13 petert913

petert913

Gemini

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:00 PM

I have 6 scopes, but only 4 mounts.

1.  Twilight I   Alt-Az

2.  Orion Astroview GEM

3.  iOptron iEQ45Pro

4.  EQ mount that came with my Tasco 7TE-5

#14 Shorty Barlow

Shorty Barlow

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Lloegyr

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:02 PM

Not including the mount/tripod with my Celestron Evolution, I have a Sky-Watcher EQ5 Deluxe for my 150mm Newtonian. A Sky-Watcher AZ5 Deluxe used primarily for my Mak's and lighter refractors. A Vixen: Porta II/SXG Hal-130 usually used in combination with a Vixen half-pillar for my 102mm Altair Starwave. And finally a second Vixen Portal II on a Vixen APP-TL130 Polaris tripod usually deployed as a grab'n'go with my 72mm Evostar.

#15 Hugh Peck

Hugh Peck

Apollo

• Loc: NE WI

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:35 PM

The A-T Voyager II I'm keeping. The scope is long gone.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4915-2.jpg

Edited by Hugh Peck, 17 October 2019 - 09:57 PM.

#16 WadeH237

WadeH237

Aurora

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:07 PM

I have 4 mounts.

• The AP1600 with encoders is my main imaging mount.  It is set up at home most of the time and carries whatever scope that I want to image with.
  • The AP1100 is mainly a travel mount.  If I go to a dark sky site to image, I use it.  I also use it to carry my C14 for visual use.
  • I have two AVX mounts that are for light weight visual use.  I typically use one of them to carry my 4" refractor or a solar telescope.  I have two of them because I do occasional outreach and want to have two scopes available.  I also use one of them for grab-and-go visual at my home.

If I go to a star party and want to use the C14 for visual and also do imaging, then I take both AP mounts.  And finally, I spend at least two weeks up at the Oregon Star Party site each year.  I always take both AP mounts and at least one AVX.  I often bring other families up to OSP (Usually, we're around 10 people or so at our site, but I've had over 20 people there for the eclipse in 2017).  When I have a large group like that, I usually set up everything.

#17 BKBrown

BKBrown

Skylab

• Loc: Central Virginia, USA

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:37 PM

Five at this time with a sixth looming in the future:

1. AP 1200 - this does the heavy lifting with two large scopes in the observatory for visual work and planetary imaging

2. An Atlas AZ/EQ-G for dark site heavy lifting, TEC 140/EdgeHD 11

3. An older Sirius EQ-G for travelling light w/ a smaller refractor or EdgeHD 8/WO ZS66SD combo

4. A T-REX Alt Az for when I want things simple while using heavier loads, TEC 140/EdgeHD 11, generally away from home

5. A Vixen Porta II with Manny Mods on a wood tripod for grab-n-go/wildlife watching/digi-scoping

6. A dedicated deep sky imaging GEM (TBD) for the second pier in the new observatory

Like all of my gear, the mounts were acquired to fill specific niches I need filled, and all of them are gainfully employed smile.png

Clear Skies,

Brian snoopy2.gif

#18 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:45 PM

CPC1100
CGX
CGEM x2 (one hypertuned. One not)
Nextstar SE

So 5

I have 3 semi permanent setup. The SE is for solar and the other CGEM is technically for travel but it mostly just sits in the garage

Al

#19 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:34 PM

Let's see..........

I don't know

Because I want to.

• Hugh Peck and Agatha like this

#20 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

• Loc: Houston

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:46 PM

AVX - Starter AP mount for a 102 refractor

CGX - for more capacity (I got an EdgeHD 11)

iOptron Cube Pro for an AT60ED as a grab and go, it's battery powered, and I can walk it outside and point it anywhere quickly.

Heavy duty camera tripod for a Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer to do some light duty wide field imaging with DSLR camera lenses.

#21 bridgman

bridgman

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Mosport, ON, Canada

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:47 PM

Four mounts I guess... 5 if you count the ETX90's plastic wonder:

Losmandy G11 - imaging

EZ-Touch / AYO on Meade SFT - big solid alt-az when I have time to haul out and set up - it won't fit through the door unless disassembled and doesn't like cold weather

Losmandy AZ8 - primary grab and go, light enough to carry outside with a scope attached, stable with legs extended but folded halfway in

DSV1M on ETX90's tripod - grab and go when I'm feeling tired, planning to get lighter tripod for travel

Edited by bridgman, 18 October 2019 - 04:52 AM.

#22 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:57 PM

I am curious to know whether we have mount collectors in the industry who just keep a few mounts as part of the hobby.

I also want to know if you own more than one Astrophotography mounts and for what reason?

I am not talking about those that have used and sold various mounts over the years.

It is about those who feel the need to keep their "old" mounts even when they buy new ones because they simplify have the need for more than one mount at at time.

So, how many mounts do you keep at a time and for what reason?

At least 6.  One is on my pier, Two are tracking GEM mounts that I travel with or do front yard work, one is a manual Alt az, and One is a minitower that I am resurrecting for my kids.  And a dob.  And one classic Towa mount that came with my 80 mm F15.  Maybe 7?   Believe it or not, except the Towa mount, I use most of them at least a couple times a year.  Of Course I have kids that like to play with Daddy.  And I do outreach.  And I am a BSA merit badge counselor for Astronomy.  Between scopes and mounts I am a one man star party!!  Basically I never get rid of anything, and manage to find a use for it.   Of course, judging by a lot of the signatures that post here, I am not alone in thislol.gif!  Honestly not quite sure how I got here, but it took a awhile.  Astronomy equipment is my one vice.  (that and a very infrequent taste of fine bourbon:-) 

Cheers!

JMD

#23 Beechnut

Beechnut

Mariner 2

• Loc: Columbus Ohio

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:56 PM

1. MyT on a pier in my SkyShed Pod

2. CEM60 backup/portable mount

3. AVX really light weight portable 

4. C 9.25 Evolution which I will almost definitely sell in the near future.

I have almost as many mounts as we have clear nights per year here in Ohio :)

Edited by Beechnut, 17 October 2019 - 11:57 PM.

• Tonk, Hugh Peck and Wildetelescope like this

#24 RTLR 12

RTLR 12

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:35 AM

I just need one more...

#25 kel123

kel123

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 October 2019 - 04:34 AM

At least 6. One is on my pier, Two are tracking GEM mounts that I travel with or do front yard work, one is a manual Alt az, and One is a minitower that I am resurrecting for my kids. And a dob. And one classic Towa mount that came with my 80 mm F15. Maybe 7? Believe it or not, except the Towa mount, I use most of them at least a couple times a year. Of Course I have kids that like to play with Daddy. And I do outreach. And I am a BSA merit badge counselor for Astronomy. Between scopes and mounts I am a one man star party!! Basically I never get rid of anything, and manage to find a use for it. Of course, judging by a lot of the signatures that post here, I am not alone in thislol.gif! Honestly not quite sure how I got here, but it took a awhile. Astronomy equipment is my one vice. (that and a very infrequent taste of fine bourbon:-)

Cheers!

JMD

Lovely

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics