•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Butterfly nebula & other Cygnus Gems

astrophotography dso dslr CMOS
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AKHalea

AKHalea

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 17 October 2019 - 05:35 PM

I have been fascinated by the large number of beautiful objects in the Cygnus constellation. Recent good weather and clear nights allowed me to capture a good amount of data on many of the DSOs in the Cygnus constellation. I am particularly happy about the widefield Butterfly nebula (IC1318) captured with the 200mm Nikon telephoto lens (see below) ; 

9-25 Butterfly 200mm 192Min LPR STCrIsoJMoreSat CN.jpg

I thought it would be nice to compile these in an album so one can look at them in one place. So, here is my "Gems of Cygnus" album that compiles the images captured over the 2018-19 time period. The other Gems I captured (in addition to Butterfly nebula) are : 

1. NAN - North America nebula (NGC 7000),
  2. Pelican nebula (IC 5070),
  3. Clamshell nebula (Sh2-119) which is just a few degrees east of NGC 7000. It is ignored by most imagers because of the more famous neighbor, the NAN,
  4. ClownFace nebula (Sh2-112) - a small bright nebula just a few degrees west of NAN. This is also ignored by most because of the bigger, brighter nearby NAN, 
  5. Propeller nebula (DWB111) which lies in the nebulosity W-SW of the bright star Sadr,
  6. The beautiful Crescent nebula (NGC 6888),
  7. The Tulip nebula (Sh2-101) in the heart of Cygnus,
  8. Lastly, the Cygnus Loop which is a Super Nova Remnant (SNR) in one of the the wings of the Swan (Cygnus),
  9. The eastern part of the Loop is called the eastern Veil (NGC 6992) and the western part of the Loop is called western Veil (NGC 6990) or the Witch's Broom. In the center between these two halves is the Pickering's Triangle nebula which is very filamentary and beautiful. We captured all these parts of the Cygnus Loop in our images.

I have also included a couple of annotated images that show the locations of various nebulae captured here. 

There was another Gem I wanted to image, but I gave up on imaging it because it is too faint for my set-up. It is an SNR called "G65.3+5.7" which a very large but is extremely faint close to the head of the Swan near the beautiful double star Alberio (beta Cygni). 

All of these were captured from my S. Texas backyard using a dual narrowband filter (with HA, HB & OIII bandpasses) and HA modded Nikon D5300 DSLR. The full Cygnus widefield image was captured with an 85mm focal length Rokinon lens on the D5300. The second widefield around Sadr was captured using a 200mm focal length Nikon lens on D5300. The rest of the images were captured using the Stellarvue Access 80mm refractor and a 0.8x focal reducer. These are all unguided images since individual subs were quite short due to high LP in the backyard. The details of capture for each of the images are in the notes to individual images. The integration was done using APP (Astro-Pixel Processor) and post processing was done in StarTools. 

Hope you like my renditions of these celestial Gems ..... Anil

Edited by AKHalea, 17 October 2019 - 05:40 PM.

• Starman27, Jim Waters, MikeTahtib and 4 others like this

#2 stargazer60

stargazer60

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South Texas

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:21 PM

Beautiful image, great detail and color.  Thanks for showing the image to everyone on CN. waytogo.gif 

• AKHalea likes this

#3 AKHalea

AKHalea

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:03 PM

Thanks for the kind words, Stargazer60. Glad you liked my attempt at showing these beautiful gems in the Cygnus constellation ..... Anil

#4 Starman27

Starman27

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:43 AM

Wonderful image and album.

#5 AKHalea

AKHalea

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:59 PM

Starman27 : Thanks for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed the album. I am thrilled to have captured them with my modest gear ...... Anil

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, dso, dslr, CMOS

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics