•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX600 moves in azimuth.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jhbanister

jhbanister

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North East Texas

Posted 17 October 2019 - 07:27 PM

The past few months I have noticed that it takes less and less hand pressure to turn my LX600 in azimuth, either with power on or off.  Now all I have to do is push the scope with a finger and it turns, accompanied by a clicking sound, indicating something is catching but not keeping the scope from turning.  When I loosen the lock switch, it turns with no clicking.  Has anyone else had this problem?

Since I'm out of warranty, I'd like to take a look inside but can't figure out how to access the inner parts of the lower fork mount assembly.  Thanks for any help.

(BTW, I have been advised in another forum to adjust the slow motion knob eccentric bearing.  If anyone could help me with how to do that, I'd also appreciate it.)

#2 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 17 October 2019 - 08:02 PM

Gday John

The eccentric bearing is under the slomo knob, but if the RA clutch is locked,

then it doesnt come into play if you are moving the RA by pushing on the forks.

Can you lock the RA clutch, then try using the slomo knob to move the RA ( vs push on the forks )

If it wont move and doesnt click, then the clutch is working and its not the slomo clicking.

Have attached a piccy of the slomo mechanism,

but i think you are going to have to open up the base and check the spring loading and backstop settings for the RA worm carrier

Andrew Johansen Melbourne Australia

To adjust the slomo is very simple,

There is a grubscrew in the main fork casting that locks the bearing.

You back it off a bit then use needle nose pliers ect to rotate it till the gears mesh properly then re tighten.

SloMoDriveAdjustment.jpg Base2 HardstopLug and SlomoGear.JPG

#3 jhbanister

jhbanister

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North East Texas

Posted 19 October 2019 - 06:55 PM

Gday John

The eccentric bearing is under the slomo knob, but if the RA clutch is locked,

then it doesnt come into play if you are moving the RA by pushing on the forks.

Can you lock the RA clutch, then try using the slomo knob to move the RA ( vs push on the forks )

If it wont move and doesnt click, then the clutch is working and its not the slomo clicking.

Have attached a piccy of the slomo mechanism,

but i think you are going to have to open up the base and check the spring loading and backstop settings for the RA worm carrier

To adjust the slomo is very simple,

There is a grubscrew in the main fork casting that locks the bearing.

You back it off a bit then use needle nose pliers ect to rotate it till the gears mesh properly then re tighten.

attachicon.gif SloMoDriveAdjustment.jpgattachicon.gif Base2 HardstopLug and SlomoGear.JPG

Thanks.  I’ll have to break open the mount next week.  I assume I go in through the top access panel between the forks?

#4 OzAndrewJ

OzAndrewJ

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 October 2019 - 06:58 PM

Gday John

To check the worm spring etc, you need to go in through the bottom

Remove the thin tinplate cover and all becomes visible.

• Kegan128 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics