•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Why Didn't I Think Of This Sooner! (powering rig)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:34 PM

So anyone who has done astrophotography knows, wiring nightmare. I have been powering my ancillary components with individual switch mode power supplies. Focuser, Camera, Mount, USB hub, and sometimes ASIAir. I had the mount and focuser from one supply but all the same, a rat's nest. I was sitting at my desk the other day and I glanced over under my bed, and saw the three PC power supplies I have cabbaged from various sources, and the the obvious hit me. 

So I mounted the PSU to a leg of the tripod, soldered in mating connectors from automotive wiring looms I have acquired (I work in an auto shop) and now I can throw the rig together, snap together a few connectors and have only one 110v cable running over to my getup. More than enough amperage to run everything twice over, well cleaned power and well protected circuits. Even if a guy didn't have a PSU laying around, buying a good one (even a good enough one) is far cheaper than buying 5 branded switch mode supplies. A little handyman action and you're sorted. 

I will post pictures when it's all completely out of the working prototype phase. I thought this idea might help others on their power journey. 

• Francopoli, havasman, PirateMike and 2 others like this

#2 Der_Pit

Der_Pit

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: La Palma

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:00 AM

:D

Doing that since quite a wile, though I'm using an adjustable industrial PSU, running at 13V.  It has one cable to the distribution unit, and if I go into the field I leave the PSU at home, and just connect the battery there...

That powers the whole setup (mount, camera with cooler, focuser, control computer, a small switch, flat panel if needed)

• wrnchhead likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics