•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is afocal Marsenne configuration possible with two concave parabolas?

ATM
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hamishbarker

hamishbarker

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 October 2019 - 09:46 PM

Having read about a large amateur marsenne telescope on the Televue website (parabolic primary, and convex parabolic secondary, feeding a refractor via the altitude axis), I was wondering if any optical designers could comment about the possibility of using a concave parabolic secondary instead, but otherwise similar arrangement. Obviously the secondary would be further from the primary by 2x secondary focal lengths.  

Or does the afocal marsenne configuration only work for convex secondary? What is the main aberration?

#2 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:43 PM

Yes, the focal point of the concave paraboloidal (not parabolic!) secondary would coincide with the focal point of the primary.  The separation between the two mirrors would be the sum of the two focal lengths.  I don't know how the off axis aberrations would compare with those of a Mersenne.  I suspect you'd have a small field of view, not because of aberrations but just geometry.

Jim

• hamishbarker likes this

#3 luxo II

luxo II

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:12 AM

If you put a diagonal in there near the focus of the primary then yes it’s possible and I’ve seen this referred to as a “hammerhead” configuration.

Edited by luxo II, 18 October 2019 - 05:12 AM.

#4 Vla

Vla

Viking 1

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:31 AM

The only aberration for the two mirrors is field curvature, stronger than in the Cass configuration, since the two mirrors add up. But since the effective aperture stop is at the secondary, it is also farther away from the imaging objective, which means more vignetting and more aberrations on that end.

#5 hamishbarker

hamishbarker

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:38 PM

If you put a diagonal in there near the focus of the primary then yes it’s possible and I’ve seen this referred to as a “hammerhead” configuration.

I'm not sure that I understand. Do you mean a tiny diagonal, sending the expanding beam out to the side, to the second paraboloid, then the afocal beam coming back across to the imaging objective (refractor or whatever) on the other side?

What advantage over a normal newtonian configuration? Smaller diagonal? But it doesn't get the advantage of nice low eyepiece (unless a second diagonal sent the afocal beam down towards ground for the refractor etc.) which seems to be the attractive feature of the mersenne.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ATM

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics