•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Esprit 80mm or AT80EDT?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Nbsdsailor

Nbsdsailor

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:14 PM

Looking for a widefield AP scope.  I am considering the SW Esprit 80mm but the AT80EDT /w FF is $500 cheaper.  Any input on which I should get?  Is the Esprit optics worth the extra cash or is the AT80EDT just as crisp?  

• PirateMike likes this

#2 dhaval

dhaval

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Round Rock, TX

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:30 PM

Looking for a widefield AP scope.  I am considering the SW Esprit 80mm but the AT80EDT /w FF is $500 cheaper.  Any input on which I should get?  Is the Esprit optics worth the extra cash or is the AT80EDT just as crisp?  

If you haven't been in this hobby for long, especially doing AP, you will quickly realize - you get what you pay for.

CS!

• PirateMike likes this

#3 Marcelofig

Marcelofig

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 October 2019 - 10:37 PM

The Esprit's optics is fantastic and is currently on sale (until October 31st).

But keep in mind that the Esprit 80 has a fixed mounting system, which makes it difficult to install accessories, especially important if your use will be AP.

#4 PirateMike

PirateMike

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: A Green Dot On A Blue Sea

Posted 17 October 2019 - 11:52 PM

If you are looking for great optical quality at a decent price then the Esprit is very hard to beat.

As mentioned above, the Esprit 80 has a fixed mounting system. This can be an issue when imaging, an OAG (Off Axis Guider) can solve this issue. Something like this...

https://astronomy-im...product/zwo-oag

But again, the AT 80 will save you a few bucks.

I suggest that you go to astrobin and check out the images taken with both scopes and see which one will suit your needs and expectations.

Miguel   8-)

• Nbsdsailor likes this

#5 DSOs4Me

DSOs4Me

Explorer 1

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 18 October 2019 - 12:17 AM

SV-SVX070T Stellarvue 1299 comes with the field flattener/reducer and is a great wide field scope. I added the riser kit to mine and I have my focus controller, dew controller and USB hub and carry handle all mounted to it. As mentioned above the Sky Watcher is great but limited because of the fixed mount. I have the Esprit 120 on my wish list :)

• PirateMike likes this

#6 tcchittyjr

tcchittyjr

Explorer 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:40 AM

I have the Esprit 80, and loved it so much, I bought the Esprit 120ED. Gives great wide field images!

TomC

• PirateMike likes this

#7 Nbsdsailor

Nbsdsailor

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:44 AM

Looks like everyone is voting for the Esprit 80.  The only thing I plan on mounting to the OTA is a 50mm guidescope that can go in the finder shoe.  It will be on a Losmandy G11 so balancing shouldn't be an issue.

• PirateMike likes this

#8 moonrider

moonrider

Mariner 2

• Loc: Murphy, NC

Posted 18 October 2019 - 12:03 PM

#1 Esprit 80 , Love mine! And the 50mm guide scope works great also.

#9 JukkaP

JukkaP

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 18 October 2019 - 12:39 PM

I have had my esprit 80mm for year now. I love it, but it is little soft on ha. Atleast mine is. One thing that makes it soft is that it is F5, and the correction is optimized on green'ish wavelenght.

My OIII is super sharp, but HA is little soft. HA is about 1.5-2 times the fwhm. Focus hits 1.5-2.2HFD on OIII. HA focus is at 3.8-4.5 HFD.

One viable option now is the sharpstar for tight budget.
  • Nbsdsailor likes this

#10 dapalmer

dapalmer

Mariner 2

• Loc: Jackson, MO

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:27 PM

I went with AT80EDT because of the difference in price. I am happy with it. I can't compare it to Espirit, but I think you would be happy either way. If you are more experienced you may see the difference, I can't say. There are a lot of happy customers with AT. 

• Nbsdsailor likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics