•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

QHY PoleMaster question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jim in PA

Jim in PA

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: NE Pennsyvlania

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:03 AM

I'm resurrecting my old telescopes and getting back into astronomy after about a 15 yr. hiatus.  It looks like this forum will be helpful to say the least, so I just joined today. 

Recently I ran across a review of the QHY Polemaster.  My question for anyone familiar with it, will the driver and software work with Win XP?  I have an old Dell XPS that I'd like to use in my setup, at least for now. 

I downloaded the user's manual and it just says "Windows", with no version identified.

Thanks, Jim

#2 Akwilliams

Akwilliams

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 19 October 2019 - 09:10 AM

Difficult one to answer.... I suspect most will be on Win10 or WIn7.   I'd suggest going direct to QHY and asking them

• Jim in PA likes this

#3 BlueGrass

BlueGrass

Vanguard

• Loc: Wasatch Front, UT

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:33 AM

Another option I'd try would be to download the PoleMaster software and drivers and see if it installs and runs on XP. If it does, then the only item that might not work is its ability to connect to the camera and update the display in real-time. 

• Jim in PA likes this

#4 Jim in PA

Jim in PA

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:04 PM

Thanks for the advice guys.  I did see one vendor that said it would work with Win XP.  Then I saw an iOptron Polemaster that looked suspiciously similar to the QHY...this one says it will work with Win XP, but 32 bit only.

So I think the only thing to do is just order the QHY, try to install and run it and see what happens.  Unfortunately I have 3 laptops with XP, no Win 7, and the one laptop I had with Win 10 (Home) took a faceplant after one of Microsoft's forced updates...won't even boot with a repair disc now...so if it turns out that I have to use Win 10 with this thing I'll get the Pro version this time.

I'll update in a few weeks on whether or not it worked with XP.

#5 emflocater

emflocater

Apollo

• Loc: Clarkson, N.Y.

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:03 AM

I have used and tested a PoleMaster on XP 32 bit and works fine. I run most everything on XP as it has been a sweet operating system for astro equipment and drivers!

Cheers

Don

Edited by emflocater, 20 October 2019 - 11:06 AM.

• Akwilliams and Jim in PA like this

#6 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:00 PM

Consider also Sharpcap Pro ($13/year). It's at least as accurate as Polemaster.

• Jim in PA likes this

#7 Steve OK

Steve OK

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: OKC, OK

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:28 PM

I'll second emflocator's answer.  I'm using Polemaster on a little Acer notebook with Win XP.  It works fine.

Steve

• Jim in PA likes this

#8 Jim in PA

Jim in PA

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:23 AM

Glad to hear the Polemaster works with Win XP.  Like emflocator, I like XP not only for astronomy gear and drivers, but for various electronics projects/drivers...it's a stable OS that works with a lot of my old gadgets. 

Stelios, after your recommendation I did some research on Sharpcap Pro...even with the Polemaster I believe I will subscribe...looks to be a right handy piece of software at a very reasonable price :)

My thanks to everyone who took the time to respond!  It's good to have some help to get me back up and running.  Currently installing a pier, hope to have first light in a few weeks so I can start out on M42.

#9 Jeff Struve

Jeff Struve

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted Yesterday, 09:48 AM

There is alo a free version of SharpCap that has all features but the PA routine.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics