•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SlewToTargetAsync Fail and Carte Du Ciel

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AXAF

AXAF

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: MA

Posted 18 October 2019 - 08:12 AM

I am trying to set up Carte Du Ciel such that I can use it to slew to my celestial targets.

The steps I have taken include:

1. Connect Carte Du Ciel to my iOptron mount, and activate tracking. See image below.

2. Sync to a target in Cartes Du Ciel that corresponds to where my telescope is pointed.

3. Choose a target to slew to by selecting it on the Carte Du Ciel chart.

4. Select Slew-to-Target to command the telescope mount to slew.

When I select slew-to-target, the field of view indicator for my telescope/camera configuration

does slew to the target on Carte Du Ciel display, but the mount physically does not respond in kind.

Any thoughts? Am I supposed to disconnect the handset from the mount so that CdC can

perform correctly? I guess maybe the handset and CdC cannot be connected at the same

time, causing a connection conflict?

Thanks in advance.

Gary

Edited by AXAF, 18 October 2019 - 08:29 AM.

#2 Patrick Chevalley

Patrick Chevalley

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:40 PM

Where do you see a message with SlewToTargetAsync ? because CdC do not use this ASCOM command. It use SlewToCoordinatesAsync if asynchronous slew is supported by the driver or SlewToCoordinates if not.

You must read the iOptron manual to know how to connect to the computer and what initialization must be done.

But the standard procedure with many mount is you must do the 1-2-3 star alignment with the handpad before to connect to the computer. The handpad must remain connected during all the session.

When the telescope cursor move on the chart but not the mount, are the coordinates on the handpad updated with the same position as in CdC?

Patrick

#3 Bob Denny

Bob Denny

Vendor (DC-3 Dreams)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Mesa AZ USA

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:32 PM

For the cursor in CdC to move and the mount not, this is strange and almost certainly a bug in iOptron. Somehow CdC is receiving the changing coordinates from the iOptron. How can that be when the mount does not move? What is moving and what is not? Probably only iOptron will have the answer. Anything else would be a guess.
  • jdupton likes this

#4 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Aurora

• Loc: Where the stars at night are big and bright...

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:26 PM

Are you using the ascom driver for your mount and do you have it set up properly? By default I believe ascom is set to simulator which will move the cursor on CdC but not move the mount.

#5 Bob Denny

Bob Denny

Vendor (DC-3 Dreams)

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Mesa AZ USA

Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:19 PM

FYI “ASCOM” is a set of specifications. The ASCOM chooser is a function that can be used by applications to select a specific device which acts the same as all of the other devices of that type (e.g., Telescope). The ASCOM simulator is a program that acts like a real telescope should act. You must specifically select the Simulator or whatever mount type you want to use!! The simulator is not a default unless the program that displays the Chooser sets it as the default. It’s not any default in the ASCOM specs or the Chooser.

@StarmanDan I think you are on the right track. While I was answering this cross-post on the ASCOM user’s forum today, It occurred to me that this person actually has the simulator selected not the iOptron mount. It seems obvious now ha ha. Good job seeing the obvious possibility!!

Edited by Bob Denny, 21 October 2019 - 09:23 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics