•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

GPS Rollover HC upgrade problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Fzwicky

Fzwicky

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2019 - 12:40 PM

Hi-

I have a CPC 800 50th Anniversary Edition, made in 2010, but it has the newer NexStar+ hand controller. The scope's GPS was affected by the GPS week rollover. I first discovered that only about a month ago. When it linked to the GPS satellites, the date read: "02/12/00." So I asked a friend with an older CPC scope if she could update my HC for me, as I don't have a PC. She did, but when I first used the updated HC, the scope doesn't even recognize that it has a GPS receiver in it. When you power it up and start an alignment, the scope immediately reverts to asking you to input a "custom site" or a site from a list of cities. It doesn't try to link to the GPS satellites. I've gone into Utilities to "GPS on/off" and pressed enter to turn the GPS "on," but nothing happens. It still asks for you to input lat. and long., time, AM or PM, etc. Has this happened to anyone? Did my friend download the wrong HC update? I've contacted Celestron, and all they say is to go into Utilities and turn on the GPS, which, as I said, I've tried and it doesn't help. Any suggestions? Thanks!

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:15 PM

Man that is weird ... I can't offer any additional suggestions but it might help in further troubleshooting if you can post the firmware version information - just run the Version function under the Utilities menu. 

#3 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 19 October 2019 - 01:43 AM

Have you tried both GPS settings in Utilities?  The wording of that menu is a bit confusing and people have been known to actually turn it off when they were attempting to turn it on.

What versions (all details) are displayed by the HC's version menu?

Do the arrow buttons move the scope as expected?  

When you manually enter location/date/time, does the alignment work?

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
Author of "NexStar Observer List"
https://www.NexStarSite.com

#4 3snows

3snows

Mariner 2

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:08 AM

Hello - I have a similar issue with my AVX mount.  I use an external SkySync module which was not affected by the roll over issue but with all the HC updates out there I decided to update all my HCs which I hadn't done in probably 2 years.

The StarSense HC update went through without an issue and will sync with the same GPS module, but my AVX standard NexStar + HC will now not sync with the GPS module.  I can turn off the GPS and add the coordinates manually but I'm not sure if it's actually working since I use plate solving to align the mount.  I need to do more troubleshooting.

My gut tells me it is not working. I polar align the mount and use Quick Align to get it tracking.  When I try to go to a known star it is way off.  Usually after good polar alignment, Quick Align will put the star in the field of view of my camera and I can then plate solve.

I intend to do more troubleshooting and have already tried reinstalling the latest HC firmware, which seems to go ok, but still the same issue.

Edited by 3snows, 19 October 2019 - 08:10 AM.

#5 Fzwicky

Fzwicky

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:49 AM

Man that is weird ... I can't offer any additional suggestions but it might help in further troubleshooting if you can post the firmware version information - just run the Version function under the Utilities menu. 

Sure. The original version was "5.22.3280." After my friend updated the HC, it now reads: "ver. 5.31.9200." I think she said this is the latest firmware, too.

Thanks!

#6 Fzwicky

Fzwicky

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2019 - 09:11 AM

Have you tried both GPS settings in Utilities?  The wording of that menu is a bit confusing and people have been known to actually turn it off when they were attempting to turn it on.

What versions (all details) are displayed by the HC's version menu?

Do the arrow buttons move the scope as expected?  

When you manually enter location/date/time, does the alignment work?

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar User's Guide"
https://www.NexStarSite.com

Hi, Mike.

1.Yes, I've tried the "GPS on/off". After entering, it says "Press ENTER to turn GPS ON." I press enter, and the screen backs out to read "GPS on/off." (I know about the confusion. After turning it "on," if you hit enter again, it will read : "Press ENTER to turn GPS OFF.") If I go start an alignment, it still doesn't do a GPS link. It will say: "Custom Site," or sometimes will just ask for me to input the time, then AM or PM, etc. because, I guess, it's using the previous data I just input earlier in the evening. (I messed around with it, turning it on and off a number of times and starting over.)

2.The original HC version was: "HC: NXS 5.22.3280, MC: 5.14 5.14."  After the HC update, it reads: "HC: NXS 5.31.9200, MC: 5.14 5.14."

3.Yep, the arrow buttons move the scope properly.

4.Yeah, when I manually enter the lat. & long. etc. data, the scope works fine. I always use the "Auto Two-Star" alignment, and when I was using the scope the other night in its new condition, it slewed right to my second alignment star, and perfectly centered my first target (M42).

Help! (Thanks!)

#7 Fzwicky

Fzwicky

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2019 - 09:14 AM

Hello - I have a similar issue with my AVX mount.  I use an external SkySync module which was not affected by the roll over issue but with all the HC updates out there I decided to update all my HCs which I hadn't done in probably 2 years.

The StarSense HC update went through without an issue and will sync with the same GPS module, but my AVX standard NexStar + HC will now not sync with the GPS module.  I can turn off the GPS and add the coordinates manually but I'm not sure if it's actually working since I use plate solving to align the mount.  I need to do more troubleshooting.

My gut tells me it is not working. I polar align the mount and use Quick Align to get it tracking.  When I try to go to a known star it is way off.  Usually after good polar alignment, Quick Align will put the star in the field of view of my camera and I can then plate solve.

I intend to do more troubleshooting and have already tried reinstalling the latest HC firmware, which seems to go ok, but still the same issue.

Thanks for your input. (No pun intended!) I appreciate it. This certainly is frustrating!

#8 Michael_Swanson

Michael_Swanson

Vanguard

Posted 21 October 2019 - 01:16 AM

Hi, Mike.

1.Yes, I've tried the "GPS on/off". After entering, it says "Press ENTER to turn GPS ON." I press enter, and the screen backs out to read "GPS on/off." (I know about the confusion. After turning it "on," if you hit enter again, it will read : "Press ENTER to turn GPS OFF.") If I go start an alignment, it still doesn't do a GPS link. It will say: "Custom Site," or sometimes will just ask for me to input the time, then AM or PM, etc. because, I guess, it's using the previous data I just input earlier in the evening. (I messed around with it, turning it on and off a number of times and starting over.)

2.The original HC version was: "HC: NXS 5.22.3280, MC: 5.14 5.14."  After the HC update, it reads: "HC: NXS 5.31.9200, MC: 5.14 5.14."

3.Yep, the arrow buttons move the scope properly.

4.Yeah, when I manually enter the lat. & long. etc. data, the scope works fine. I always use the "Auto Two-Star" alignment, and when I was using the scope the other night in its new condition, it slewed right to my second alignment star, and perfectly centered my first target (M42).

Help! (Thanks!)

Hmmm, that is the correct version and the fact that everything works after manually entering the data indicates it loaded correctly.

Have you tried the hand control plugged into the AUX ports?

After that, you might want to open the mount and investigate the GPS connections.  It doesn't seem like that would be the cause of your problems but other than a dead GPS module, I'm out of ideas.  This article by David Craig is about a different GPS problem but it will show you how to open the mount and locate the GPS components.

https://www.nexstars...gps-failure.pdf

Best regards,
Mike Swanson
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide II"
Author of "The NexStar Users Guide"
https://www.nexstarsite.com

#9 Fzwicky

Fzwicky

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:49 AM

Hmmm, that is the correct version and the fact that everything works after manually entering the data indicates it loaded correctly.

After that, you might want to open the mount and investigate the GPS connections.  It doesn't seem like that would be the cause of your problems but other than a dead GPS module, I'm out of ideas.  This article by David Craig is about a different GPS problem but it will show you how to open the mount and locate the GPS components.

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

Best regards,
Mike Swanson

Hi, Mike!

Guess what?  IT'S WORKING! I tried your suggestion and plugged the hand control into the "AUX 1" port, and then immediately went to "GPS on/off" and turned the GPS "on." I then backed out and chose "Auto Two-Star" and the screen immediately showed the "Waiting for GPS..." information! I then plugged the HC into the "AUX 2" port, and it worked, too! Then, I plugged the HC back into the original "HAND CONTROL" port, and it, too, now reads "Waiting for GPS..."! I also backed out and went to "View Time-Site"as a check, and it said: "Acquiring GPS signal." I don't know if the scope will link up with the satellites, since it's the middle of the morning and I was doing this inside. But it looks like we're working again! Thanks so much for your suggestion, Mike!

• Michael_Swanson likes this

#10 Fzwicky

Fzwicky

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:52 AM

Hi-

I have a CPC 800 50th Anniversary Edition, made in 2010, but it has the newer NexStar+ hand controller. The scope's GPS was affected by the GPS week rollover. I first discovered that only about a month ago. When it linked to the GPS satellites, the date read: "02/12/00." So I asked a friend with an older CPC scope if she could update my HC for me, as I don't have a PC. She did, but when I first used the updated HC, the scope doesn't even recognize that it has a GPS receiver in it. When you power it up and start an alignment, the scope immediately reverts to asking you to input a "custom site" or a site from a list of cities. It doesn't try to link to the GPS satellites. I've gone into Utilities to "GPS on/off" and pressed enter to turn the GPS "on," but nothing happens. It still asks for you to input lat. and long., time, AM or PM, etc. Has this happened to anyone? Did my friend download the wrong HC update? I've contacted Celestron, and all they say is to go into Utilities and turn on the GPS, which, as I said, I've tried and it doesn't help. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Good news! At Mike Swanson's suggestion, I plugged the hand controller into the "AUX 1" port, and the scope links up with the GPS satellites! Woo-hoo! Plugging the HC back into the original "Hand Control" port, and that works now, too. I don't know what was going on, but it seems to be working now. Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions and concern!

Greg Simpson

#11 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 21 October 2019 - 03:37 PM

Sometimes there can be a bit of futz (highly technical term) or stuff on the pins in the RJ socket and trying it it the AUX socket gets around this ... plus the act of inserting and removing a few times can also clean things off and have it start working. 

As for Mike's suggestions ... "the force is strong with this one"  lol.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics