•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Shadow bands?

solar
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ed_turco

ed_turco

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Lincoln, RI

Posted 18 October 2019 - 02:59 PM

In spite of the eclipse threads being locked up tight, I have a comment relevant to the sun.   The solar forum seems to be the only place to go --

I have never seen shadow bands during a total solar eclipse, but an observation I made during the 1963 eclipse that makes me wonder.   In the last moments before totality , I detected a pulsing of illumination as the eclipse went total.  I have never had the experience repeat itself in the ten or eleven eclipses that followed.   I was told at the time that there were oodles of shadow bands all over the place.  

Thinking about it for fifty-six years, it dawns upon me that I did detect shadow bands crossing my face.   The eclipse was so touch and go with clouds that I didn't have the time or inclination to look down just before totality!  The pulses seemed to have a period of a 1/2 second and caused a ten percent reduction of light, indicating a low contrast phenomenon.

I don't think that I have a clear shot to last until April, 2024.

Has anyone here had a similar experience?

Edited by ed_turco, 18 October 2019 - 03:00 PM.

• Terra Nova likes this

#2 Mike Lynch

Mike Lynch

Viking 1

Posted 18 October 2019 - 04:37 PM

Ed,

Very interesting experiece you had....one that I have never had!

But at a gathering in western Kentucky on eclipse day in Aug. 2017, where the Nature Conservancy had an eclipse event, there were posters about the eclipse that my daughter made. (She does communications for the Conservancy.)

About 10 minutes before totality, she put one of the posters on the ground, facing down, with the white backside up... We saw an amazing and unmistakable display of shadow bands.... 

As clearly visible as they were, I wouldn't be surprised at all if you experienced them on your face!

Mike

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics