•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Starlight NightVision DIY question

NV
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nimitz69

nimitz69

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 18 October 2019 - 05:43 PM

I'm considering purchasing this :

http://www.starlight...ght_scopes.html

so that I can have a NVD that I can take out of the country.  My question is simple: anyone have any idea how easy it is to assemble this in to a working NVD?  The site says you can by all teh parts as a 'kit' which is what I plan to do but no other info is given.  I've sent them an email but no response. Assembly I can do, if it requires high order circuit building, precision sodering, etc I may be in trouble.

If anyone has any experience with this kind of thing please chime in as this really would be a perfect solution for what I need ....

#2 Richard O'Neill

Richard O'Neill

Vanguard

Posted 18 October 2019 - 07:39 PM

"They're very easy to assemble once you obtain all the parts. I made one using a surplus image tube from a British tank, a piece of PVC tubing, a camera lens and a focusing eyepiece. The tube contains a power supply which is powered by 4, 'AA' batteries.

The night view was taken under starlight. These scopes show lots of faint stars, otherwise invisible polar orbiting satellites and brighter objects in the southern Milky Way. The only thing better is a PVS-14 but those cost big bucks.

Night Vision Scope (homemade)

Night View

Edited by Richard O'Neill, 18 October 2019 - 07:46 PM.

#3 Oukifrench

Oukifrench

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: France Perpignan

Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:12 AM

Hello nimitz i you want in France we start collective project with the P8079hp.

I have 2 .

It's wonderful adventure not expensive you can made it for lens photo or telescope. 

It'work very well.

you can find detail here.

http://www.astronomi...topic.php?t=440

Ouki

#4 nimitz69

nimitz69

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: A barrier island 18 miles south of Cocoa Beach

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:34 AM

"They're very easy to assemble once you obtain all the parts. I made one using a surplus image tube from a British tank, a piece of PVC tubing, a camera lens and a focusing eyepiece. The tube contains a power supply which is powered by 4, 'AA' batteries.

The night view was taken under starlight. These scopes show lots of faint stars, otherwise invisible polar orbiting satellites and brighter objects in the southern Milky Way. The only thing better is a PVS-14 but those cost big bucks.

Richard:  thx for the.  Input,   As you can see from my Sig I already own a MOD3C WP astronomy grade NVD but due to ITAR I can’t take it out of the country.  I’ve already talked with a few of the NV experts here and the StarLight system is perfect for what I need.  I just need to understand when people say “it’s easy to assemble”. What that really means.

Is it just physical assembly or do I have to do electronics wiring, soldering , circuitry work?  I haven’t exactly taken My $4,000 MOD3 apart to see ... dalek12.gif dalek12.gif

Edited by nimitz69, 19 October 2019 - 11:37 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics