•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Trying to Communicate with my AP CP4

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kent10

Kent10

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2019 - 06:19 PM

Hi,

I have an AP 1100GTO mount with CP4.  I have been trying to configure the wifi settings of the CP4 and it won't show up in the available networks on my tablet or laptop.  Does anyone know why it won't show up.  I can't configure it without having access to its web page.  I am probably missing the obvious but I hope someone can explain how I can get to the web page to configure it either through Ethernet or wireless but neither is working so I probably have it connected incorrectly.

Thanks, Kent

#2 NMBob

NMBob

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 18 October 2019 - 09:01 PM

The WiFi may be disabled. I think they come that way? The IP address should be 169.254.sn.sn. My serial number is 0085, so the address is 169.254.0.85. The port number is 23. Now the password is ??? Mine is orionsbelt, but I'm not sure if that is the default, or was set by the previous owner.

#3 Kent10

Kent10

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2019 - 10:50 PM

Thanks for your help, NMBob.

I have been using the CP4 with Sky Safari on Android.  When I 1st got the CP4 I could access the web page on my laptop but after that one time I have not been able to get it back.  I don't see the CP4 in my available networks.  If it is set as an access point then it should show up but I don't know what it is set up as.  I think it is wifi because I have been using it with Sky Safari.  But since I had trouble from the beginning after that 1st initial success, I talked to Howard at AP and he got me set up in Sky Safari on the phone, but not the in any way I can remember and it was quite complicated.  So I still don't feel my CP4 is working in the expected way.  I should be able to access that web page with 172.31.0.1 in the address bar but I can't.  A real puzzle for me.

Thanks again.

#4 NMBob

NMBob

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:16 AM

Mine shows up as the WiFi network GTOCP4_Net_85. That is the access point name set in the advanced settings page. I can connect to that network, give the password, and then go to the same WiFi address in Safari (iPad). I don’t need to enter the port number (23). Sounds like something got changed somewhere. I’d try the wire and get in there and check things out. What to set everything to is not super clear, and there doesn’t seem to be a factory reset function.

#5 Kent10

Kent10

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:27 PM

I think I will have to contact AP, maybe in the forum 1st.  My problem is I don't see the GTOCP4 in the wifi network.  I have tried numerous times and on different computers.  I have tried the Ethernet cable too.  Perhaps I am connecting it wrong.  CP4 to my router.  Also tried CP4 to the computer.  Am I connecting it wrong?  I have my battery connected to the CP4 as a power source.  Anyway, I think I will have to contact AP.  Thanks NMBob!

#6 Peter in Reno

Peter in Reno

Voyager 1

• Loc: Reno, NV

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:32 PM

Hi Kent,

I am sure you already did this but have you read the manuals from A-P? I don't remember which manual but one of the manuals gave very good instructions on how to communicate with CP4 wirelessly? 

If you want more details, I could find the appropriate manual for you but you can find it at A-P web site under "support".

Peter 

#7 Kent10

Kent10

Aurora

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2019 - 10:54 PM

Hi Peter,

Thanks, yes. It has been a while but I read the whole manual a while ago.  Now I am only referring to it.  Ideally I should read it again but I have been playing with a new scope, a Tec 200FL and I am somewhat impatient in getting my Sky Safari to work with my mount. 

I was getting dropped connections while using it and so I bought an extender to strengthen the wifi.  That works but now Sky Safari won't connect with the extender which I am assuming is using a different IP address so I need to change some setting in the CP4. 

When I talked to Howard a while ago we also couldn't get the connection to the CP4 but he had some other complicated way of getting in there to set things up for me.  Now I need to do it again so I may have to call him.  I do wish I could do it the usual way though because there is no way I can do it the way he did and I don't want to ask for his assistance every time I need to make a change.  I wonder if something is wrong with my CP4 or my computers.  My computers are old but I don't have trouble getting other wifi sources.

Thanks for your help.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics