•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Digicamcontrol unable to function using a Virtual machine

astrophotography beginner imaging/sketching contest dslr
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Naraya

Naraya

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Jakarta, Indonesia

Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:12 AM

It turns out that "unsupported cameras" listed in Digicamcontrol (E.g Nikon D3400) does in fact allow bulb modes above 30 seconds (i've already tested this using my dad's windows laptop, everything works fine)

However when using a virtual machine in my personal Mac (VirtualBox). It doesn't seem to work at all. It won't perform basic functions like taking a picture, nor does live view work.

the error message that pops up always reads: "could not capture photo from webcam"

I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling it a few time but nothing works.

Has anyone else come across this error? 

Thanks,

Naraya

Edited by Naraya, 19 October 2019 - 02:21 AM.

#2 whwang

whwang

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:20 AM

Hi,

I don’t have a D3400. However, I always use digicamcontrol under a virtual machine on my Mac to control D800. So I can confirm that it should work on a supported camera.

#3 Naraya

Naraya

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:26 AM

Hi,

I don’t have a D3400. However, I always use digicamcontrol under a virtual machine on my Mac to control D800. So I can confirm that it should work on a supported camera.

Well, it did work on a windows laptop. Just not in a virtual machine in my case.

#4 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Voyager 1

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:44 AM

If the VM host (the hypervisor) supports "USB Pass-Through" capability, turn that feature on.

Key is to let the virtual machine has non-obstructed access to the in-scope USB port which connects to the tethered camera. 

#5 Naraya

Naraya

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 October 2019 - 07:31 AM

If the VM host (the hypervisor) supports "USB Pass-Through" capability, turn that feature on.

Key is to let the virtual machine has non-obstructed access to the in-scope USB port which connects to the tethered camera. 

Just tried this and it works, turns out you need to download the extension pack that allows for the usb support, thanks!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner, imaging/sketching contest, dslr

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics