•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My haul of three cheap low-power eyepieces arrived!

eyepieces dob Meade reflector optics equipment accessories
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 AaronF

AaronF

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Barcelona, Spain

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:33 AM

The "Sale" section of the Bresser.de site can be a good place to get a bargain.

Yesterday I received my order of:

40mm Maxvision 68° (aka "Lenszilla") - €170 €95

34mm ES68 - €249 €140

25mm Meade MA - €44 €6 (at this price I didn't really care what it was like)

Total: €463 €241

(Minutes after receiving shipping notification, the weather forecast changed to show that I could now expect clouds at my location for the forseeable future. As luck would have it, I managed to find a few gaps in the clouds for a couple of hours last night)

None of these eyepieces are new, but I haven't used any of them before, so they're all new to me.

I have a GSO 10" Dobsonian, which I usually use from my flat in the city.

The Maxvision 40mm 68°

Wow this is a big eyepiece, isn't it?! I mean, sure, I read all about it, saw photos of it next to cans of beans, and so on; but you have to hold it in your own hands to really appreciate the sheer size and weight of this thing.

I love it! I'm not going to decloak it. The twist-up eye guard is great and I find the eyepiece really comfortable to use.

The secondary shadow wasn't even that annoying. (In a 10" F/5 the exit pupil is over 8mm)

I'm going to get more use out of this eyepiece when I go to dark sites, because I can never really adapt to the dark properly when I'm at home in the city, but this is a lovely eyepiece and I can see myself using it as a finder or just idly browsing the milky way with my DGM NPB filter.

Back in the day it used to cost two or three times the current sale price, so I think I got a good deal here.

The Explore Scientific 34mm 68°

I might have thought this eyepiece was large and heavy, had I not used the Maxvision just before it!

It's nice. The view is clear and bright. The outer edge shows coma (I don't have a Paracorr) but it's otherwise clean at the edges (my TS-branded 30mm 70° EP shows all sorts at the edges - I discovered new galaxies and double stars on a daily basis with that old thing, now relegated to my "B-team" set).

I don't love it like I do the big ol' Maxvision, though, but I'm sure it'll grow on me over time... And if I don't, then I can probably sell it on for the same price I bought it for.

The Meade MA 25mm ??°

The real star of the show!

This was only €6. Six euros is like six dollars or five pounds. Some places will charge you more than that just for delivery.

And when your expectations are low, anything that doesn't fall to pieces in your hands will seem good :-D

First impressions were good: it came in a plastic case which twists open/closed. The case alone is worth one or two €/$/£, maybe.

This is a perfectly fine eyepiece. Narrow FoV, less than 50° I think. Off-centre the view quickly goes bad, but perfectly servicable views in the centre. For the price it's great!

I can happily give this to my nieces and friends' children, along with the 9mm TS-branded Plössl that came with my telescope, and they can now change eyepieces themselves without me having to do it for them, and use the telescope relatively unattended.

I should have bought a few more of these, just in case. Bresser should give one away for free with every order ;-)

Conclusion

I'm very pleased with my selection of discounted eyepieces. I wouldn't have bought any of them at their full retail prices, but I've been looking for a low power eyepiece to replace my 30mm 70° for a while, and now I have two low power 68° eyepieces for the price of one!

I feel they're good mid-range eyepieces, which I'm happy to have while on my way to the eventual 41 Panoptic + 31 Nagler + 21 Ethos dreamteam :-)

These eyepieces are all, at the time of writing, still available on sale on the Bresser site. Today I notice that an ES68 16mm has joined them.

But I'm good for eyepieces for the moment...

Edited by AaronF, 19 October 2019 - 07:33 AM.

• Jon Isaacs, eros312 and 25585 like this

#2 sickfish

sickfish

Cosmos

• Loc: Watertown Ma. Cape Coral Fl.

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:38 AM

Not cheap, inexpensive.

• Jon Isaacs, OneGear, 25585 and 3 others like this

#3 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:51 AM

I like these too. Have the Meade SWA 40 & 34, & a 28mm Maxvision.

"Lenzilla" us a good name for the 40, but it's been pushed into 2nd place by my Celestron Axiom LX 31mm which weighs 3.2lbs and is even fatter. 

• AaronF likes this

#4 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:15 AM

I think you will like the 34 better than the 40 when you start getting under the stars. It isn’t just the secondary shadow. It’s the blue background sky. It’s the astigmatism. The reduced effective aperture. I have a Vixen 42lvw and an ES 24/82. When it comes to my 10” F4.8, I use the 24mm. Once in awhile I get the 42 out for the Pleiades, or if I just want to find something fast and don’t care what the view looks like.

The 34 will also make your Dob behave less like a teeter totter.

Now if you get an SCT, Mak, or F7 refractor someday, you could really enjoy that 40mm. So I’m not necessarily saying you should sell it.

Scott
  • AaronF likes this

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:32 AM

Aaron:

You do realize that according to the Cloudy Nights TOS, you're required to post pictures of your new eyepieces? :)

Regarding the Meade MA25 mm. Meade has been selling these for about 40 years. The older ones are quite nice, all metal bodies, brass barrels.. 

I'm very pleased with my selection of discounted eyepieces. I wouldn't have bought any of them at their full retail prices, but I've been looking for a low power eyepiece to replace my 30mm 70° for a while, and now I have two low power 68° eyepieces for the price of one!

I feel they're good mid-range eyepieces, which I'm happy to have while on my way to the eventual 41 Panoptic + 31 Nagler + 21 Ethos dreamteam :-)

I have your "dream team" plus the 35 mm Panoptic. Pretty Crazy..  My friend Tom has the ES 34 mm 68 degree and 30 mm 82 degree eyepieces plus a set of shorter focal length ES 68s and 82s, he has a 10n Orion Dob.

I guess the TeleVue eyepieces are fun to dream about but optically, the differences between your new eyepieces and the TeleVue eyepieces are subtle and not the knock your socks off experience of upgrading from the 30 mm 70 degree to these new eyepieces.  I have the 16mm and 24 mm versions of the Meade Series 5000 SWA's. It's my understanding that the MaxVision eyepieces are these same eyepieces. 

These are very good eyepieces and in my opinion good enough that one should be happy with them on a long term basis. With the 30 mm 70 degree, a little voice in the back of your head likely said, "I'll get something better one of these days." With your new eyepieces.. that voice will be silent.. 

If I had your eyepieces, I'd decloak them and keep an eye open for a coma corrector and figure I was set...

Jon

• nicoledoula and AaronF like this

#6 AaronF

AaronF

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Barcelona, Spain

Posted 19 October 2019 - 09:38 AM

"Lenzilla" us a good name for the 40, but it's been pushed into 2nd place by my Celestron Axiom LX 31mm which weighs 3.2lbs and is even fatter. 

Wow that looks like a monster! Celestron's Nagler 31T5... It must be the heaviest 2" eyepiece ever made?

("Lenszilla" I stole from the SGL post about it :-D )

I think you will like the 34 better than the 40 when you start getting under the stars. It isn’t just the secondary shadow. It’s the blue background sky. It’s the astigmatism. The reduced effective aperture. I have a Vixen 42lvw and an ES 24/82. When it comes to my 10” F4.8, I use the 24mm. Once in awhile I get the 42 out for the Pleiades, or if I just want to find something fast and don’t care what the view looks like.

The 34 will also make your Dob behave less like a teeter totter.

Now if you get an SCT, Mak, or F7 refractor someday, you could really enjoy that 40mm. So I’m not necessarily saying you should sell it.

Scott

You're probably right :-) Even I, too, last night when using them both, thought to myself that the 34 will probably be the one I end up using more frequently.

I really like the feel of the 40 though. And you're absolutely right about the weight - the first thing that happened when I put it in the focuser last night was that I turned around and then heard a >clonk!< as the top of my tube hit the ground!

I'm definitely going to hang on to it for the forseeable future.

You do realize that according to the Cloudy Nights TOS, you're required to post pictures of your new eyepieces? smile.gif

Regarding the Meade MA25 mm. Meade has been selling these for about 40 years. The older ones are quite nice, all metal bodies, brass barrels.. 

I have your "dream team" plus the 35 mm Panoptic. Pretty Crazy..  My friend Tom has the ES 34 mm 68 degree and 30 mm 82 degree eyepieces plus a set of shorter focal length ES 68s and 82s, he has a 10n Orion Dob.

I guess the TeleVue eyepieces are fun to dream about but optically, the differences between your new eyepieces and the TeleVue eyepieces are subtle and not the knock your socks off experience of upgrading from the 30 mm 70 degree to these new eyepieces.  I have the 16mm and 24 mm versions of the Meade Series 5000 SWA's. It's my understanding that the MaxVision eyepieces are these same eyepieces. 

These are very good eyepieces and in my opinion good enough that one should be happy with them on a long term basis. With the 30 mm 70 degree, a little voice in the back of your head likely said, "I'll get something better one of these days." With your new eyepieces.. that voice will be silent.. 

If I had your eyepieces, I'd decloak them and keep an eye open for a coma corrector and figure I was set...

Jon

blush.gif you're absolutely right! I just took a quick photo, here they are - the newest members of the eyepiece family:

The newest members of the eyepiece family

I saw some photos of the old MA25's with the brass barrels when searching for more information about them before ordering. (and now, funnily enough, I go and look through my browser history for the link to them, and I see that the photos I saw were posted by you, of course! lol.gif  )

I do like the brass eyepieces. I've been eyeing up the Siebert Ultra eyepieces lately, and see that he will do them with brass barrels for an extra $70, which is tempting.

You certainly have a very nice collection of eyepieces!

The only Tele Vue I've had a chance to try is the Wide Field 40mm. It was second hand, with dark blemishes on the glass which were still visible during use, and seller wanted €300 for it, which I felt was too much. If the condition had been better, or if it was a Panoptic, then maybe I would have gone for it.

The glass was very nice, though. Crisp stars across the entire view. It was a real step above what I had been used to at the time.

But, you're completely correct: that the itch has been scratched with my new 68° EPs, and that little voice is very quiet!

(if I see a good price on a second hand Panoptic or an out-of-production XW then I'll jump on it, naturally, but these EPs will keep me happy for years, as you say)

I am on the lookout for a coma corrector. It's not urgent, at F/5, but I would like to get one sooner rather than later.

The Paracorr isn't cheap but I could probably get one early next year.

Though for now, with my new EPs, it's nice to have to deal only with coma, and not a barrage of other abberations!

I shouldn't be snooty about my old EP, though. It's done a perfectly fine job over the time I've had it. Better a bad eyepiece than no eyepiece at all!

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#7 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 19 October 2019 - 10:12 AM

Some heavy 2" eyepieces:

Explore Scientific 25mm 100° 1176g

Explore Scientific 9mm 120°  1295g

Explore Scientific 30mm 82° 1000g

Explore Scientific 12mm 92° 1017g

Explore Scientitic 17mm 92° 1159g

Explore Scientitic 40mm 68°  977g

TeleVue Ethos 21mm 100°   1021g

TeleVue Nagler 31mm 82°    998g

TeleVue Panoptic 41mm 68°  953g

Celestron's 31mm Axiom LX is 1416g.

Rodenstock 40mm is ????

I think both are heavier than all the ones in the list, but I don't have accurate weights.

I didn't count 3" eyepieces.  The 2 that are available are both a LOT heavier.

The 80mm Masuyama is 1700g

The 30mm Exlore Scientific is 2353g

Edited by Starman1, 19 October 2019 - 10:24 AM.

• 25585 and AaronF like this

#8 25585

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: In a valley, in the UK.

Posted 19 October 2019 - 10:45 AM

Pentax XL 60mm weighed 1650g https://www.cloudyni...ax-xl-60mm-r315

APM have a Rodenstock 40mm 70° for sale! https://www.apm-tele...nfo.php?id=1043 it says 1 kg weight.

Edited by 25585, 19 October 2019 - 10:56 AM.

• AaronF likes this

#9 Don Taylor

Don Taylor

Apollo

• Loc: Broken Arrow (Tulsa Area) Oklahoma

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:38 AM

The Maxvision 40mm is of course the previous Meade Series 5000 SWA.  I picked one up at a great price when Meade and JOC went their separate ways in 2012 or 2013.  It's a fantastic eyepiece in the 16" with Paracorr and the 152mm F5.9 refractor.   A bit overkill in the 60mm though: (yields 9x and a 7.6 degree TFOV).  My observing buddies and I call it "the pineapple" as it's almost as large as one (extend the eyecup a little and turn the eyepiece upside down.....)

850 4674 4133

Edited by Don Taylor, 19 October 2019 - 11:38 AM.

• eros312, 25585 and AaronF like this

#10 Spartinix

Spartinix

Messenger

• Loc: Crete, Greece

Posted 19 October 2019 - 01:22 PM

The Maxvision 40 from Bresser delivers. Forget about reduced aperture if you're observing from dark skies. I like it. I'm pretty sure I'd like the TVP41 or Pentax 40xw more but for the price? The MV40 gives me wonderful 8mm plus e.p. filtered views of extented nebulae and wide Milky Way views with dark clouds intertwining like none of my much more expensive ep's.. so it certainly has it's 'role'. BTW the TVP41 supposedly has a soft field stop and pincushion and the Pentax xw40 has..I don't know...it's just very expensive :p.

Edited by Spartinix, 19 October 2019 - 01:23 PM.

• Jon Isaacs, 25585 and AaronF like this

#11 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:00 PM

The Maxvision 40 from Bresser delivers. Forget about reduced aperture if you're observing from dark skies. I like it. I'm pretty sure I'd like the TVP41 or Pentax 40xw more but for the price? The MV40 gives me wonderful 8mm plus e.p. filtered views of extented nebulae and wide Milky Way views with dark clouds intertwining like none of my much more expensive ep's.. so it certainly has it's 'role'. BTW the TVP41 supposedly has a soft field stop and pincushion and the Pentax xw40 has..I don't know...it's just very expensive tongue2.gif.

The Maxvision 40mm x 68° also has pincushion distortion.  It is the most common form of distortion found in astronomical eyepieces.

So does the Pentax XW 40mm.

With widefield eyepieces, you cannot have no distortion, and if they are to be used at night on the sky, you don't want the distortion form to be

angular magnification distortion, which is your other choice.

• Jon Isaacs and AaronF like this

#12 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 19 October 2019 - 03:36 PM

The Maxvision 40 would be great paired with a long tube refractor to raise the eyepiece to a comfortable height.

Scott
  • 25585 and AaronF like this

#13 fcathell

fcathell

Apollo

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:54 PM

Those Meade and Celestron low power "MA" eyepieces work as good as any eyepiece in Maks or SCTs with the longer focal ratios. You won't get much more than a 50+ degree AFOV but not a big deal IMO.

Frank

• AaronF likes this

#14 Spartinix

Spartinix

Messenger

• Loc: Crete, Greece

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:49 PM

The Maxvision 40mm x 68° also has pincushion distortion. It is the most common form of distortion found in astronomical eyepieces.
So does the Pentax XW 40mm.
With widefield eyepieces, you cannot have no distortion, and if they are to be used at night on the sky, you don't want the distortion form to be
angular magnification distortion, which is your other choice.

True, should have said 'maybe less PD'. I found it slightly annoying with the Pan 35 for panning. I have not used the 41 yet nor the xw 40. Just read a bunch of comparisons here.

Edited by Spartinix, 19 October 2019 - 11:50 PM.

• AaronF likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: eyepieces, dob, Meade, reflector, optics, equipment, accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics