•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ETX with Nikon 1

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MichiganMitch

MichiganMitch

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cloudy Michigan

Posted 19 October 2019 - 09:11 AM

Hello everyone.

I'm getting ready for the November transit of Mercury. I have a Meade ETX70AT. I also purchased the screw on solar filter at the same time from ScopeTronix who is now sadly out of business. During the 2012 transit of Venus, I captured some great views with my cell phone doing eyepiece projection. I would now like to attach a digital camera to the scope. In spite of the Meade brochure showing a digital camera attached, YouTube videos showing a camera attached, and Weasner's Mighty ETX Site showing a camera attached, my Canon EOS 40D seems way to heavy when I attach it. Don't want to break my scope after 14 years of use.

A friend of mine has a Nikon 1 J1 digital camera. Small and lite. I have a Nikon T-ring I purchased years ago from a company who said it will work on all Nikon cameras. Sadly it won't. A place called Telescope Adapters has a T-ring for a Nikon "1" cameras they say is actually a tube. I don't understand the "tube" part in the description. Anyone know if this adapter will work as it is. That is camera, adapter, then scope, or will I need another adapter to attach the "tube" to the scope. Or should I just get a Celestron Neximage, Meade One-Shot, or a ZWO ASI120MM.

Thoughts and comments welcomed.

Thanks and clear skies all.

Mitch in Michigan

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 19 October 2019 - 10:17 AM

Tend to agree adding DSLR to an ETX-70 seems a bit too much. I have one (ETX70 and DSLR) and would not consider the combination a good idea.

They were designed and built before the days of a DSLR. So a picture of one attached was, or is, an after thought to entice the public in.

The "tube" of your t-ring is hopefully a t-ring with a bit of additional tube to slide everything in as an eyepiece goes in to place. But you would need to check fully. If you get a DSLR and a t-ring you then need (often) a nose piece that connects t-ring to focuser = bit of tubing.

One of the other cameras eg the ZWO sounds nice but check sensor size. The sun is 0.5 degrees the scope 350mm so the image will be just over 3mm, but you really need "sky" around it and if the sun is 3mm Mercury is likely to just not show at all against the Sun itself.

Mercury is 13 arc sec (biggest) (Wiki) so that means 0.022mm or 22um - guessing around 5 or 6 pixels. You will need a fairly big sun for Mercury to appear of any size, and a big sun means fairly sharp also and a slightly out of definition Mercury would Igiess disappear in the background.

A 2x barlow would mean a 6mm Sun image but that is a bigger sensor. And you have to get it right as the next one is I believe 2032, long wait for a second go.

• B 26354 likes this

#3 MichiganMitch

MichiganMitch

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cloudy Michigan

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:36 PM

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll take the 4" Newtonian out this week and see how that preforms on the Sun. That scope can hold a large camera.

Mitch in Michigan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics