•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Atlas EQ-G Power Supply

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 navcom

navcom

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lake City, MN USA

Posted 19 October 2019 - 09:38 AM

Hi all.  Just purchased my first eq mount; an Orion Atlas EQ-G.  Shipping as I write.  I’m going to need a power adapter.  Does anyone know if a standard 12v 2 amp will work with this unit?  Spec says 2.1 amp.  $50 w/shipping seems steep for the Orion one when I have several 12v 2a ones laying around the house.

Thanks!

Jeff

#2 macdonjh

macdonjh

Aurora

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:02 AM

For observing at home, never more than a couple of hours, I use a 7 A-hr lead-acid battery I keep fresh with a trickle charger.  For plugging into the wall, just about any 12V power supply will do.  A search on Amazon will give you lots of options.  Pyramid makes traditional linear power supplies.  There are lots of cheap, imported switching power supplies, but quality is sometimes dicey.  And, most of those are for projects (no enclosures).

You might consider a 5A power supply.  You'll likely eventually power some dew heaters and maybe imaging gear.

• navcom likes this

#3 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 20 October 2019 - 01:09 PM

A 12VDC 3-amp should be the minimum.  A 5-amp is better.  $50 for a 2-amp PS is ridiculous.  Now the only problem that you will have is with the power socket they are using on the new mounts.  You won't find one of those around, so you would have to make one.  The easiest thing to do is cut the ends off the battery power cable and an AC power supply and put the Orion connector cable on the AC power supply.  But you have to be very careful with the polarity since these mounts do not have reverse polarity protection.

#4 navcom

navcom

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2019 - 01:34 PM

A 12VDC 3-amp should be the minimum.  A 5-amp is better.  $50 for a 2-amp PS is ridiculous.  Now the only problem that you will have is with the power socket they are using on the new mounts.  You won't find one of those around, so you would have to make one.  The easiest thing to do is cut the ends off the battery power cable and an AC power supply and put the Orion connector cable on the AC power supply.  But you have to be very careful with the polarity since these mounts do not have reverse polarity protection.

The Orion one had a 5.5mm x 2.1mm plug, which is standard.  I just purchased (like 5 minutes ago ) a generic 12v 5a one with the 5.5mm x 2.1mm plug.  Is there still a chance this isnt going to fit?

The mount I bought was the older Atlas EQ-G, not the Atlas II.  Also, not sure how I can canabalize the Orion cable end if I dont own the cable.  :-)

Edited by navcom, 20 October 2019 - 01:34 PM.

#5 macdonjh

macdonjh

Aurora

Posted 20 October 2019 - 01:55 PM

The Orion one had a 5.5mm x 2.1mm plug, which is standard.  I just purchased (like 5 minutes ago ) a generic 12v 5a one with the 5.5mm x 2.1mm plug.  Is there still a chance this isnt going to fit?

The mount I bought was the older Atlas EQ-G, not the Atlas II.  Also, not sure how I can canabalize the Orion cable end if I dont own the cable.  :-)

mm are mm, so your new power supply cord should fit.  EFT will know for sure, but I think the Atlas mount is wired "center pin positive", so be sure your power supply is the same when you get it (like with a multimeter).  As EFT says, there are stories out there about astronomers frying their mounts' PC boards by wiring their power supplies/ power cords "backward".

• navcom likes this

#6 navcom

navcom

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:37 PM

mm are mm, so your new power supply cord should fit.  EFT will know for sure, but I think the Atlas mount is wired "center pin positive", so be sure your power supply is the same when you get it (like with a multimeter).  As EFT says, there are stories out there about astronomers frying their mounts' PC boards by wiring their power supplies/ power cords "backward".

It looks like the generic supply’s polarity is the same as the Orion power supply; center positive/sheath negative.  At least that is what it’s showing on the pictures of the labels on both. Thanks!

#7 navcom

navcom

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:02 PM

Sorry folks!  I forgot that the Atlas comes with a cigarette lighter power cord.  EFTs comment makes sense now.  I think I will get an AC-cig lighter power supply just to be safe and cancel the other one.  Thanks again!

#8 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:14 PM

If the mount is not one of the brand news, then any power supply with the 5.5mm x 2.1mm will work with the correct voltage and sufficient amperage.  Almost any power supply with this kind of plug will be center positive.

#9 macdonjh

macdonjh

Aurora

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:18 PM

If the mount is not one of the brand news, then any power supply with the 5.5mm x 2.1mm will work with the correct voltage and sufficient amperage.  Almost any power supply with this kind of plug will be center positive.

+1, center positive seems to be standard.  I always recommend testing, though, since the consequences of being wrong are high.

navcom, if you have a multimeter, you could just cut the cigarette lighter adapter (I hate those things) off and test the wires for continuity.  Then you'll know which goes to the center and can mark it red, and which goes to the barrel and mark it black.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics