•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PST ITF Filter

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 charotarguy

charotarguy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2019 - 03:00 PM

Hello all,

Based on a number of posts on PST ITF filter, I mustered up some courage this weekend and opened the eyepiece section (views lately have been very fuzzy without any details, also cannot see any prominences which were visible earlier), it opened without any issues. Here is a quick shot of the business end, does it need to be replaced? I am by no means experienced on this, trying to get ready for the upcoming Mercury Transit. Any inputs/suggestions would be helpful to me. Thank you.

gallery_232910_12016_2099657.jpg

#2 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Apollo

Posted 19 October 2019 - 03:08 PM

Yes, definitely a candidate for replacement. Mieier Photonics do a drop in replacement.
  • Gary Z and charotarguy like this

#3 charotarguy

charotarguy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2019 - 03:19 PM

Thank you Peter.

#4 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Washington USA

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:58 AM

Teh BelOptik ITF replacement filter should also be considered for a long-term solution. Cost more, but you get what you pay for...

• charotarguy likes this

#5 Eddgie

Eddgie

ISS

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:03 PM

charotarguy,

Yes, that ITF is totally trash.

Out of curiosity, how old is the scope, do you know?

After owning three used PSTs, and having seen the difference a new ITF makes, I am pretty confident that the first two used PSTs had deteriorated filters, though the last one was by far the worst.  The others would show some prominence detail and some surface detail, but when I put the new ITF in the last PST, suddenly it was showing a level of detail that was surprisingly close to my 60mm H-a scope.  I was quite stunned at the performance. 

Anyway, I was just curious to know if you had an estimate of how old the scope was.

ITF is pretty easy to replace. 

Edited by Eddgie, 20 October 2019 - 02:03 PM.

#6 charotarguy

charotarguy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2019 - 02:27 AM

Hi Edggie, Thanks the scope is a few years old, I’m second owner but received it in near new condition with excellent views. In fact used it during solar eclipse and people couldn’t believe how excellent the view it was giving of the prominences and had a line to view through it. One change that happened is I moved from a city from an elevated location to burbs which is humid place, the only place for storage for my scope stuff is garage now. Didn’t get a chance to use a lot after the move and took it out only a few times around from time to time and the views where really underwhelming, I looked up over here to see what could be the issue and saw posts on the replacement filter. Took me some time to gather courage to open it as I was afraid i might damage it more but it opened without any issues. I did order the Meier filter before seeing Bobs post on the more expensive filter, wish I had seen it earlier but will give Meier a try and see how it goes. Will repost back soon when I do the replacement. If you have any tips on doing the replacement let me please know.

#7 hopskipson

hopskipson

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 21 October 2019 - 06:07 AM

Hi Edggie, Thanks the scope is a few years old, I’m second owner but received it in near new condition with excellent views. In fact used it during solar eclipse and people couldn’t believe how excellent the view it was giving of the prominences and had a line to view through it. One change that happened is I moved from a city from an elevated location to burbs which is humid place, the only place for storage for my scope stuff is garage now. Didn’t get a chance to use a lot after the move and took it out only a few times around from time to time and the views where really underwhelming, I looked up over here to see what could be the issue and saw posts on the replacement filter. Took me some time to gather courage to open it as I was afraid i might damage it more but it opened without any issues. I did order the Meier filter before seeing Bobs post on the more expensive filter, wish I had seen it earlier but will give Meier a try and see how it goes. Will repost back soon when I do the replacement. If you have any tips on doing the replacement let me please know.

Get some desiccant pouches to store inside the case to inhibit rust formation in the future.

• charotarguy likes this

#8 DAVIDG

DAVIDG

Cosmos

• Loc: Hockessin, De

Posted 21 October 2019 - 09:51 AM

Being a chemist/engineer and having designed optical instrument , the "rust" is caused by two factors, moisture and oxygen. Storing the scope under dry condition will help but it won't stop it. The problem is that original ITF filters use coating that react with both O2 and water AND the filters are not edged sealed correctly. So O2 and water will slowly diffuse in, starting at the edges  and react with the coatings causing them to cloud up. 

The Maiers filter is design so the filter is correctly sealed. I have two of the very first ones made that are over 5 years old and show no signs of deterioration and I don't store my two PST in any special way.  I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Maiers filter and many PST owners have used them too replace the bad ones with excellent results. 

- Dave 

• charotarguy likes this

#9 charotarguy

charotarguy

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 23 October 2019 - 08:49 AM

Thank you all, I got the filter quickly, very impressed with their turnaround. Also ordered the tool to open the back side of the eyepiece section with holes which also arrived in a day. Will do the swap this weekend and report back on how it goes.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics