•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

How Neat would it Be!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JMKarian

JMKarian

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northwest Pennsylvania

Posted 19 October 2019 - 07:53 PM

Read an article in the Wall Street Journal today  about an app connected consumer imaging telescope (Stellina telescope from Vaonis.com)

How neat would it be for Questar to come out with a similar product?  An on-board Sony sensor which would be engaged by flipping the Barlow toggle in the other direction.  They could have an app “QueSTAR”, which would be available on the App Store  which could control exposure, allow monitoring of the imaging on a phone/tablet , and even provide image processing.  It would have a re-chargeable battery pack, and could all be fitted in the standard Q 3.5 base.  

It would be akin to when the Leica M series cameras were electronically updated for exposure/etc.   - the best of both worlds so to speak.  

I can dream . . . Can’t I?

#2 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 19 October 2019 - 09:23 PM

Similar, perhaps https://unistellaroptics.com/product/

#3 RichA

RichA

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 26 October 2019 - 10:35 PM

"Thousands of eVscope users around the world."  Then, "launch date, Feb 2020."  $3000 for something that looks like it cost $199.00.  What a scam.

Here's their "corporate office" in San Francisco:

https://tinyurl.com/y243w5hm

• Starsareus likes this

#4 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 October 2019 - 02:21 PM

"Thousands of eVscope users around the world."  Then, "launch date, Feb 2020."  $3000 for something that looks like it cost $199.00.  What a scam.

Here's their "corporate office" in San Francisco:

https://tinyurl.com/y243w5hm

I have my doubts as to whether this isanything more than a prepackaged video enhanced scope, but take a look at this before passing judgement https://www.scienced...094576519312950

Edited by JamesMStephens, 27 October 2019 - 02:22 PM.

#5 Steve C.

Steve C.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 27 October 2019 - 02:34 PM

What I wonder about scopes like the eV is whether the cost will scare novices.  

A common question at outreach events after they've looked at the Moon or Saturn or a crowd-pleaser DSO is "Hey, do you mind me asking? How much does something like this cost?"

And I'm always happy to tell them, whether I've got the Celestron or the Questar or Tak with me, and their reaction is quite often 'Wow!', but I always add that you can buy a scope that will show you everything this one does for just a few hundred dollars, and I point them to a 6" or 8" Dob.  I don't want to discourage them.

Well, if the eVscope delivers those fascinating images electronically, I know the Dob won't come close to delivering that without adding some EAA or Night Vision equipment.  I think if these become common at outreach events, patrons will look at the pretty pictures and and that will be it.  

Thoughts?

#6 RMay

RMay

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: NorCal

Posted 27 October 2019 - 08:12 PM

I have read the article, and I have to admit I am apprehensive when all of the source material and footnotes referenced in the article are from the same source as the article itself.

Has anyone *not* associated with this company used this device?

Ron

#7 RichA

RichA

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 28 October 2019 - 02:41 PM

I have my doubts as to whether this isanything more than a prepackaged video enhanced scope, but take a look at this before passing judgement https://www.scienced...094576519312950

$50 optics set a sensor and a driven mount with (probably) a GPS.  $3000?  BTW, I tried to download a full-sized image from the paper and it downloaded the same size (postage stamp) as the one shown on  the page.  They did have some kind of close-up image and it looked dreadful, with trailed star images and it was pixelated.  The sensor is something like you'd find in a  $50 P&S camera.

Edited by RichA, 28 October 2019 - 02:43 PM.

#8 tommyr

tommyr

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Hudson Valley of N.Y.

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:10 PM

What I wonder about scopes like the eV is whether the cost will scare novices.  

A common question at outreach events after they've looked at the Moon or Saturn or a crowd-pleaser DSO is "Hey, do you mind me asking? How much does something like this cost?"

And I'm always happy to tell them, whether I've got the Celestron or the Questar or Tak with me, and their reaction is quite often 'Wow!', but I always add that you can buy a scope that will show you everything this one does for just a few hundred dollars, and I point them to a 6" or 8" Dob.  I don't want to discourage them.

Well, if the eVscope delivers those fascinating images electronically, I know the Dob won't come close to delivering that without adding some EAA or Night Vision equipment.  I think if these become common at outreach events, patrons will look at the pretty pictures and and that will be it.  

Thoughts?

I'm an early backer awaiting mine to come soon. I love the haters, they just don't get the idea of this scope. We KNOW it can't compete with "regular" astrophotography. It's not meant to. The scope has been in beta testers hands for about a month now. They've been demoing the scope for quite a while now as well all over the world. I can't wait to get mine soon.  I've had a number of "regular" scopes over the years and currently have a Nexstar 5.

#9 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 09 November 2019 - 09:24 PM

I'm an early backer awaiting mine to come soon. I love the haters, they just don't get the idea of this scope. We KNOW it can't compete with "regular" astrophotography. It's not meant to. The scope has been in beta testers hands for about a month now. They've been demoing the scope for quite a while now as well all over the world. I can't wait to get mine soon.  I've had a number of "regular" scopes over the years and currently have a Nexstar 5.

Post something under EAA when you get the scope.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics