•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Is the Fujifilm S-4500 enough for astrophotography?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 caballerodiez91

caballerodiez91

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:36 PM

Hi,

Do you think that the the Fujifilm S-4500 (30x zoom) is enough for astrophotography?

I used a FOV calculator with the Finepix s2000hd (6x zoom), but I put the right pixel size and image size parameters.

Here is the result. Do you think it's close to reality? (ofc the quality won't be like that):

Sin-t-tulo.png

Sin-t-tulo.png

I assume this is without using an eyepiece? That's how big I will see the image directly in the screen of the camera? Will it look bigger with the 30x zoom of the s-4500? Also, do you know any M42 adapter for this model?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers.

Edited by caballerodiez91, 19 October 2019 - 08:37 PM.

#2 caballerodiez91

caballerodiez91

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2019 - 08:54 PM

I get the same fov with another calculator: 

Sin-t-tulo.png

#3 NGC 2419

NGC 2419

Explorer 1

Posted 19 October 2019 - 10:24 PM

According the specs, the actual focal length of the lens in that camera is only 129mm. The 35mm equivalent focal length of 720mm is the focal length you would need to get the same image scale on a full frame camera sensor.

I hope I've stated that correctly. If not, someone will probably be along with a better explanation shortly.

Also, that camera has a really small sensor with really small pixels. It also will only take 8 second exposures and it doesn't support raw images.

I'm no expert, but from what I've learned here and from my experience with a similar camera, you would be better off finding a used DSLR to start imaging.

Clear skies!
  • caballerodiez91 likes this

#4 vio

vio

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Lauderdale, FL

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:39 AM

Looked over the specs briefly, and noticed that the Aperture at the long end of the zoom is F/20. Unless I misread this, it would be too much for exposures of deep sky objects.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • caballerodiez91 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics