•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Looking for this celestron finder bracket ... or similar

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2019 - 09:33 PM

I finally found a quick release finder base which fits my classic C8 (no drilling required) and am now looking for a low profile finder bracket which looks similar to the original celestron 6x30mm finder bracket.

Something like this celestron low profile bracket would be PERFECT but I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Anyone know where I can find this little gem?

Attached Thumbnails

• bracket.jpg

Edited by Tom Stock, 19 October 2019 - 09:36 PM.

• Castor likes this

#2 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mid-South, U.S.

Posted 19 October 2019 - 10:22 PM

You can keep searching for that particular one, or you can cut down one of these to the desired height and splint the now-two pieces together...

https://www.ebay.com...5.c100005.m1851

...a bit of DIY, but not difficult at all.

#3 Hugh Peck

Hugh Peck

Apollo

• Loc: NE WI

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:03 PM

You can keep searching for that particular one, or you can cut down one of these to the desired height and splint the now-two pieces together...

https://www.ebay.com...5.c100005.m1851

...a bit of DIY, but not difficult at all.

You have to beware with those ones from China. I bought one last year and it was absolute junk. Became a "one and done" target. Was a different seller.

#4 Napp

Napp

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida, USA

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:06 PM

Check out Scope Stuff.  http://www.scopestuff.com

#5 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 October 2019 - 01:29 AM

You have to beware with those ones from China. I bought one last year and it was absolute junk. Became a "one and done" target. Was a different seller.

It would be only for the holder, not the finder-scope.  The OP already has his finder-scope.

Incidentally, they're ALL made in China.

Edited by Sky Muse, 20 October 2019 - 01:30 AM.

#6 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 20 October 2019 - 01:41 AM

Check out Scope Stuff.  http://www.scopestuff.com

I had gone there first.  All they have are holders for 50mm and 80mm finder-scopes.

#7 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2019 - 01:42 AM

I came up with another solution.

This should work until I find something nicer, or maybe just forever.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1856.jpg

Edited by Tom Stock, 20 October 2019 - 11:19 AM.

• Skywatchr, Castor and Hugh Peck like this

#8 Hugh Peck

Hugh Peck

Apollo

• Loc: NE WI

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:32 AM

It would be only for the holder, not the finder-scope.  The OP already has his finder-scope.

Incidentally, they're ALL made in China.

They all made in China but they're not all the same. The one I bought claimed to be an erect image verion, some do, some don't. 

#9 Skywatchr

Skywatchr

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: North-Central Pa.

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:00 AM

This should work until I find something nicer.

Heck, that is perfect! I wouldn't change a thing. waytogo.gif

• Castor likes this

#10 KerryR

KerryR

Soyuz

• Loc: West Michigan

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:32 AM

I have one of the finder brackets shown in the image in the first post. It's from a C90 Spotter (or clone, such as the Orion Apex90), which uses a (miserable) 8x21 finder. Not surprisingly, none of my 6x30's are narrow enough to fit the bracket, so, if you (OP) find this bracket for sale, be sure to verify the diameters. (Note that the C5 Spotter uses a 6x30 with a low-profile bracket, but it's not quick-release.)

• Castor likes this

#11 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:19 AM

I have one of the finder brackets shown in the image in the first post. It's from a C90 Spotter (or clone, such as the Orion Apex90), which uses a (miserable) 8x21 finder. Not surprisingly, none of my 6x30's are narrow enough to fit the bracket, so, if you (OP) find this bracket for sale, be sure to verify the diameters. (Note that the C5 Spotter uses a 6x30 with a low-profile bracket, but it's not quick-release.)

Thanks for the info!

#12 Castor

Castor

Surveyor 1

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:29 PM

I finally found a quick release finder base which fits my classic C8 (no drilling required) and am now looking for a low profile finder bracket which looks similar to the original celestron 6x30mm finder bracket.

Something like this celestron low profile bracket would be PERFECT but I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Anyone know where I can find this little gem?

This should work until I find something nicer, or maybe just forever.

Hi Tom,

I am very glad that you came up with the perfect solution for a low-profile quick release 30 mm finder bracket for your orange C8, I don’t think you will find a better match on the market for your nice, classic telescope!  Smart thinking using the original finder bracket without doing any permanent modification, just in case you want the scope back as it was! waytogo.gif

But to satisfy your curiosity, the finder bracket shown in your first post corresponds to a Celestron low-profile bracket (probably made for a C8) that I purchased in 2007 from Astronomics and then modified to use it on my TV-85 refractor.  At the time there was no low-profile bracket available for 30mm finders, so I purchased the Celestron bracket, a Tele Vue QRD-1006 Dovetail for Quick Release Bracket and joined them using sharp tipped screws made for aluminum.  In order to do that, I just drilled a couple of small holes at the foot of the bracket for the screws, removed the leftover “wings” from the foot with a fine-toothed hacksaw, sanded the sharp edges and applied black paint.

The Celestron low-profile bracket for 30mm finder scopes like the one that I used is still included with some of their optical tubes, like the 8-inch SCT OTA linked below –I got one with my Celestron 6-inch SCT made for the Advanced CG-5 mount, pictured here next to my modified Celestron bracket, both carrying 30mm finder scopes.

https://www.astronomics.com/8-sct-optical-tube-cg5-avx-dovetail.html

In the second picture here you can have a closer look at the bottom of my modified bracket  (with Orion 6x30mm RACI finder scope) and see how the Tele Vue QRD-1006 dovetail is attached with screws to the bracket –the protruding small bolt is a safety stop to prevent the finder from slipping out of its base.  Here is a link to the Tele Vue product:

https://agenaastro.com/tele-vue-dovetail-for-quick-release-bracket-qrd-1006.html

Clear skies,

Attached Thumbnails

• original and modified-Celestron-low-profile brackets for 30mm finder-crop-1000x1000_113141.jpg
  • modified-Celestron bracket+TeleVue-QRD-1006-dovetail+Orion-6x30 finder-1000x600_113917.jpg

• Skywatchr and eros312 like this

#13 Tom Stock

Tom Stock

Ranger 4

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2019 - 07:13 PM

Hi Tom,

I am very glad that you came up with the perfect solution for a low-profile quick release 30 mm finder bracket for your orange C8, I don’t think you will find a better match on the market for your nice, classic telescope!  Smart thinking using the original finder bracket without doing any permanent modification, just in case you want the scope back as it was! waytogo.gif

But to satisfy your curiosity, the finder bracket shown in your first post corresponds to a Celestron low-profile bracket (probably made for a C8) that I purchased in 2007 from Astronomics and then modified to use it on my TV-85 refractor.  At the time there was no low-profile bracket available for 30mm finders, so I purchased the Celestron bracket, a Tele Vue QRD-1006 Dovetail for Quick Release Bracket and joined them using sharp tipped screws made for aluminum.  In order to do that, I just drilled a couple of small holes at the foot of the bracket for the screws, removed the leftover “wings” from the foot with a fine-toothed hacksaw, sanded the sharp edges and applied black paint.

The Celestron low-profile bracket for 30mm finder scopes like the one that I used is still included with some of their optical tubes, like the 8-inch SCT OTA linked below –I got one with my Celestron 6-inch SCT made for the Advanced CG-5 mount, pictured here next to my modified Celestron bracket, both carrying 30mm finder scopes.

https://www.astronomics.com/8-sct-optical-tube-cg5-avx-dovetail.html

In the second picture here you can have a closer look at the bottom of my modified bracket  (with Orion 6x30mm RACI finder scope) and see how the Tele Vue QRD-1006 dovetail is attached with screws to the bracket –the protruding small bolt is a safety stop to prevent the finder from slipping out of its base.  Here is a link to the Tele Vue product:

https://agenaastro.com/tele-vue-dovetail-for-quick-release-bracket-qrd-1006.html

Clear skies,

AHAH! EXCELLENT!

I don't know why I hadn't noticed before. Looking again at the first photo I can see that it is composed of two pieces, although done well enough that I completely overlooked it the first time.

Nicely done!  I actually have one of those finder brackets and may do something similar in the future for other telescopes.

Thank you for explaining the photo and ending my unnecessary and fruitless search.

Clear skies,

Tom

• Castor likes this

#14 Castor

Castor

Surveyor 1

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:12 PM

AHAH! EXCELLENT!

I don't know why I hadn't noticed before. Looking again at the first photo I can see that it is composed of two pieces, although done well enough that I completely overlooked it the first time.

Nicely done!  I actually have one of those finder brackets and may do something similar in the future for other telescopes.

Thank you for explaining the photo and ending my unnecessary and fruitless search.

Clear skies,

Tom

Thank you Tom, and I’m sorry for the confusion! wink.gif

The Celestron low-profile 30mm finder bracket adjustment is a little finicky with my Orion 6x30mm RACI finder scope but it does the job while adding practically nothing in weight and off-axis balance problems to my small scope –the opposite of the regular tall 30mm brackets!  A year ago I found a nice, commercially available 30mm low-profile bracket on Amazon (Solomark/Acouto) that replaced mine on the TV-85 refractor, so I moved the modified Celestron bracket to the smaller TV-76 refractor where it’s currently used.

Just in case you want to check that option, here is a link to the thread where I posted:

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/635853-a-low-profile-bracket-for-6x30mm-raci-finder-scope-for-small-tele-vue-refractors-pictures/

You are welcome and I’m glad that your search is over! smile.gif 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics