•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

WHAT EXTERNAL LITHIUM ION BATTERY AMP / HOUR SPECS FOR ETX90

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 namor

namor

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2019 - 10:01 PM

I have a 2007 ETX90 and was thinking of getting an external Lithium Ion battery . I need to know what a good portable AH rating battery to get. Is 6 AH good enough or should I go double digit AH like 10 AH plus 

I dont know the current Amp comsumption for the ETX90 SIDEREAL (tracking ) rate or the larger Amp  needed for the SLEW rate. Does anybody know these 2 Amp parameters please?

I know the ETX AC adapter #547 is 12 v at 2.5 A and has a male plug 5.5 mm OUTSIDE DIAMETER and a  2.5 INSIDE DIAMETER. and the RED lead from the battery is plug CENTER PIN with a fuse. Should I put a fuse on the black lead also?. And what size fuse Amp to get and should it be a fast blow fuse or ???

Does the battery have to have a steady 12 volts output or is there some voltage variation acceptance . I'm afraid anything under 12 volts going into the scopes circuit board may damage it 

Any ideas would be appreciated 

thanks

Gus 

Toronto Ontario Canada

Edited by namor, 19 October 2019 - 10:07 PM.

#2 namor

namor

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 October 2019 - 10:10 PM

This is the battery I was thinking of getting but its output voltage fluctuates from 9 volts to 12.6 Volts 

https://www.aliexpre...8b-4dfbe431d214

#3 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:38 PM

I reading it as the output Voltage is 9V - 12.6V depending on the needed voltage, not limited by the battery.

Cheap enough, that's for sure.

#4 EdIII

EdIII

Vostok 1

• Loc: Florence, SC

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:20 AM

I have a 2007 ETX90 and was thinking of getting an external Lithium Ion battery . I need to know what a good portable AH rating battery to get. Is 6 AH good enough or should I go double digit AH like 10 AH plus 

I dont know the current Amp comsumption for the ETX90 SIDEREAL (tracking ) rate or the larger Amp  needed for the SLEW rate. Does anybody know these 2 Amp parameters please?

I know the ETX AC adapter #547 is 12 v at 2.5 A and has a male plug 5.5 mm OUTSIDE DIAMETER and a  2.5 INSIDE DIAMETER. and the RED lead from the battery is plug CENTER PIN with a fuse. Should I put a fuse on the black lead also?. And what size fuse Amp to get and should it be a fast blow fuse or ???

Does the battery have to have a steady 12 volts output or is there some voltage variation acceptance . I'm afraid anything under 12 volts going into the scopes circuit board may damage it 

Any ideas would be appreciated 

thanks

Gus 

Toronto Ontario Canada

That battery will work for 4 or 5 hours, maybe more, depending on how much you are slewing. I did not check to see if it had the correct plug, but it appears you did. I don’t know the line voltage where you live, but that wall wart will not work in the US without a 120 volt adapter. 

I use a 2 amp standard fuse, but that was just what I had. Mine did not come with a fuse. No, you don’t need a second fuse. I have never bothered to measure the true amp draw.

I have seen mine run batteries down until it quit. Low voltage has never damaged my scope.

Ed

Edited by EdIII, 21 October 2019 - 08:23 AM.

#5 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 23 October 2019 - 03:58 PM

A Li-ion battery will drop by about 5% from it's starting voltage and maintain that until it is approximately 80% discharged, then it drops off fairly rapidly.

Power-Tech

So if you start at 12v, you have in general terms 11.4v available for 80% of the time, but as your drain rate varies difficult to give a value. Although ETX's do not draw a lot when just tracking.

Will say I guess the battery starts higher then 12v, maybe 12.2 or 12.4.

So for the majority of the time voltage should not be a problem - well until that unknown 80% mark.

I can only suggest you assume 1 amp per hour, unless you intend to wander all around the sky all night. In which case 1.5 amp per hour.

So the battery should manage 0.8*6.8 = 5.5 hours(ish).

They should do a 9600mAh Li, I would suggest one of those. Same size, greater capacity - OK more cost.

One of those should last around 0.8*9.6 = 7.5 hours.

Personally I would consider the first OK for 4 hours and the second OK for 5 hours. Likely get a bit more but I tend to use worst case and then some more. You might get 5 hrs and 6 hrs. Just don't bank on it all the time.

Search out Talentcell, almost certainly the same internally, look nicer, and I have the option of another encased like Talentcel, half the cost and with a 5v output for phones etc - useful.

You will have to make a small converter from the battery lead to the ETX socket - different sizes. As it is center to center and so edge to edge no problem. I had to make one for mine.

Edited by sg6, 23 October 2019 - 04:02 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics