•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

StarAid? Anyone used this autoguider camera?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cytan299

cytan299

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:26 PM

Hi guys,

I accidentally came to this website while googling for platesolvers:

https://staraid.ai/features/

It's supposedly an autoguider that comes with a camera, uses AI for autoguiding with plate solving, single USB cable, for 990 euros (US$1.1k). Does this actually work? Has anyone played with one? How does it compare to PHD2?

Just curious!

cytan

#2 B 26354

B 26354

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:59 PM

Couldn't find a manual to download. Nearly as I can tell, all it does is autoguide... which makes 990 euros seem a bit expensive.

A Lacerta M-GEN II autonomous autoguider is ~645 euros including VAT. Along with its completely programmable autoguiding functions -- which include the ability to dither -- and a polar alignment routine, it also can completely control your imaging camera's exposure routines.

#3 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Apollo

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:23 AM

Didn't know either of these existed. Very very cool. 

• B 26354 likes this

#4 cytan299

cytan299

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:10 AM

Couldn't find a manual to download. Nearly as I can tell, all it does is autoguide... which makes 990 euros seem a bit expensive.

A Lacerta M-GEN II autonomous autoguider is ~645 euros including VAT. Along with its completely programmable autoguiding functions -- which include the ability to dither -- and a polar alignment routine, it also can completely control your imaging camera's exposure routines.

Interesting info about the Lacerta. It seems the Europeans are innovating more on the astrophotography front than us.

cytan

#5 Traveler

Traveler

Gemini

• Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 21 October 2019 - 12:12 AM

Hi guys,

I accidentally came to this website while googling for platesolvers:

https://staraid.ai/features/

It's supposedly an autoguider that comes with a camera, uses AI for autoguiding with plate solving, single USB cable, for 990 euros (US$1.1k). Does this actually work? Has anyone played with one? How does it compare to PHD2?

Just curious!

cytan

The staraid is sold for about 40x till now. There were issues. Some are fixed, some will be/has to be fixed. (source: the developer of staraid). I have seen great results with this device. Which issues there were and which has to be fixed, it is better you get in touch with maker. He will answer your question, i am sure. ( https://www.cloudyni...plate-solving/)

However, i made the conclusion that i will not buy this staraid now because i don't want to be somesort of a payed Beta-user (it is my opinion based on a public talk done by the developer of staraid) .

I think the upgraded MGEN v3 which will come out this year is a better solution for my situation. ( https://www.cloudyni...-v3-this-year/)

• cytan299 likes this

#6 SteppeCat

SteppeCat

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 October 2019 - 09:11 AM

I just received one and had a good first light with it testing the polar alignment and guiding with a 5mm illuminated eyepiece, no camera or imaging . I found it easy to set up 

and the app that displays polar alignment, guiding and plate solving was simple to follow. Support from the Staraid team seems good too, quick replies to emails.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0826.jpg

• wrnchhead likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics