•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

antares secondary mirror

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 faulksy

faulksy

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: uk

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:50 AM

hi every one

don't know if this is the right section so mods please move if its wrong

does antares still trade ? i have sent them 3 emails inquiring about a new 3.1" 1/30 flat and they haven't got back to me. the first email was 2 months ago.

if they have stopped trading who else sells high quality secondary's ?

thanks

mike

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:27 AM

Have a feeling Antares sort of quietly disappeared some time ago.

Their site only seems to have a date of 2014 everywhere. Also cannot see Antares secondaries on the RVO site - they used to be the people that sold Antares items, usually eyepieces however. The other noticable item is that all the Antares site appears to have is secondary mirrors, nothing else. Which I think is a little odd.

Strange memory that they stopped the general manufacture of astronomy equipment in Canada and moved production to the far East. May have been a selling of the brand name I suppose.

Say this as there seems several retailers selling Anteres items - http://www.vectorwar...antares/new.htm

About 2/3 down it lists Antares ellipticals but they stop at 2.1". RVO list 66 items under a search for "Antares". There are several Antares items but not it seems via Antares Optical - are they the same or has some form of separation occurred.

A 1/30 flat seems high specification, also numbers for flattness seem "ambiguous".

Looked at alternatives and Edmund Optics do elipticals, maybe email Lockwood Custom Optics, another is Owl (OpticalWaveLabs). Not sure what Hubble Optics do worth looking.

• faulksy likes this

#3 faulksy

faulksy

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:09 AM

Their site only seems to have a date of 2014 everywhere. Also cannot see Antares secondaries on the RVO site - they used to be the people that sold Antares items, usually eyepieces however. The other noticable item is that all the Antares site appears to have is secondary mirrors, nothing else. Which I think is a little odd.

Strange memory that they stopped the general manufacture of astronomy equipment in Canada and moved production to the far East. May have been a selling of the brand name I suppose.

Say this as there seems several retailers selling Anteres items - http://www.vectorwar...antares/new.htm

About 2/3 down it lists Antares ellipticals but they stop at 2.1". RVO list 66 items under a search for "Antares". There are several Antares items but not it seems via Antares Optical - are they the same or has some form of separation occurred.

A 1/30 flat seems high specification, also numbers for flattness seem "ambiguous".

Looked at alternatives and Edmund Optics do elipticals, maybe email Lockwood Custom Optics, another is Owl (OpticalWaveLabs). Not sure what Hubble Optics do worth looking.

thank you sg6

i will let you know how i get on

#4 drmark67

drmark67

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:21 AM

I placed an order for a 2.6" 1/30 elliptical and got a reply plus notification that it has been sent two weeks ago.

Will let you know when I receive it.

• faulksy likes this

#5 ad701xx

ad701xx

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oregon, USA

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:00 AM

Antares Optics in Rochester, NY is completely different from Antares Telescopes in Canada.

I ordered a secondary from them recently and received it without any issue the following week.

http://www.antaresop....com/index.html

• dmgriff and faulksy like this

#6 faulksy

faulksy

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2019 - 04:45 AM

Thanks for the reply
Is that the link you used. It's the same as the one I emailed
Cheers

#7 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 21 October 2019 - 05:05 AM

Makes sense that the Canadian "Antares" has in effect closed or moved.

Will admit I didn't check the location of AntaresOptical.but did recall some changes being made about 3 years ago with the Canadian Antares operation. Likely in an archive here to be honest.

Although some Canadian reatilers/manufacturers seem to "hide". There is a clothing one that made something I was interested in that were difficult to locate. Turned out a Northern or Eastern side of Vancouver - suppose there isn't really a Western side (Pacific) and South is the US.

Does make me wonder where the assorted Antares scope items are from and by whom.

Faulksy all you can do is try another email. It reads that AntaresOptical are alive and reasonably well.

#8 ad701xx

ad701xx

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Oregon, USA

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:09 AM

Thanks for the reply
Is that the link you used. It's the same as the one I emailed
Cheers

Yes, that is the same link I used.

I've ordered four secondaries from them over the past 15 years and never had an issue. I have only emailed them once before my first order to see if they had the size I wanted in stock and got a timely response. Since then, I've  just place an order and the item arrives.

One time, they didn't have the 1/20th grade in stock so they sent me a 1/30th at no extra charge.

You might try giving them a call in case your emails are ending up in their spam or trash folders for some reason.

• faulksy likes this

#9 faulksy

faulksy

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2019 - 05:21 PM

Thank you all.
I'll let you know how I get on

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics