•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lazer pointers

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BD515

BD515

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:09 AM

Can someone point me to where I can get a lazer pointer to point out constelations etc in the night sky I have seen people using these at stargazing events

Thanks

#2 2696

Ranger 4

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:12 AM

Pinty Hunting Rifle Green Laser Sight Dot Scope Adjustable with Mounts https://www.amazon.c...i_n7eRDb5CMK69R

I know a lot of people use these, though I don't have one myself so I can't speak on the quality of it. The reviews seem to be pretty good though. If you don't want this exact one there's a ton of different ones on Amazon.
  • wrvond likes this

#3 M11Mike

M11Mike

Viking 1

• Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:24 AM

C/N's "SCOPEHEAD" has them right here:

https://www.cloudyni...custom-bracket/

And there are others selling just the mounting brackets here (for as low as $18).  And you can get the "PEN" size GREEN LASERS on ebay for UNDER $5 shipped!!!  Numerous guys on ebay selling brackets and mounts.  

M11Mike

#4 M11Mike

M11Mike

Viking 1

• Loc: Ballston Lake, NY

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:25 AM

PS: And you don't need to spend a lot of $$$ on one of these....the $5 ones on ebay work perfect.

M11Mike 

#5 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:17 AM

Owing to how they produce the Green bit they need to be kept warm.

They are actually an IR laser of 1064nm wavelength, this then goes into a crystal that doubles the frequency to 532nm - the green you see.

However a doubling of frequency takes energy and I presume that this comes from the thermal side of the crystal. So if the whole thing is not kept warm it does not operate. There are direct green pointers at 520nm but they presently cost a fair bit more by should not suffer from the cold as no frequency doubling involved.

Before you go waving it around check with others first.

The pointer could end up in places it was never meant to go shocked.gif shocked.gif

But the hospital staff would have a laugh.

#6 wrvond

wrvond

Surveyor 1

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:30 AM

I have the Pinty GLPs mounted on both my C8 and SW 120ED. I only use one of the pen type GLPs on my XT10g because that is what I bought before I knew about the Pinty lasers.

I really like the Pinty lasers, they are durable, easy to use, and inexpensive.

IMG 2218

• brave_ulysses and BFaucett like this

#7 B 26354

B 26354

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California semi-desert (NELM mag 5.3)

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:50 AM

Seriously??? Try a "laser pointer" search on Amazon, eBay, or just Google.

And be sure you read the warnings about pointing the beam toward people's faces, or airplanes!

#8 BD515

BD515

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:25 PM

Thanks for the information yes I know al about where not to point them  just thought it might help my grandson see what I am talking about when pointing out a constellation and the stars assocated with them 

• clearwaterdave likes this

#9 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Soyuz

• ****-
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 20 October 2019 - 07:25 PM

I use the Pinty lasers as well.,They are inexpensive.,and they work well.,even in the cold.,You can find them on Amazon.,good luck.,Kudo's to getting out with your grandson.,cheers.,

#10 oldthor

oldthor

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:22 AM

Pinty Hunting Rifle Green Laser Sight Dot Scope Adjustable with Mounts https://www.amazon.c...i_n7eRDb5CMK69R

I know a lot of people use these, though I don't have one myself so I can't speak on the quality of it. The reviews seem to be pretty good though. If you don't want this exact one there's a ton of different ones on Amazon.

Got one, works well. Can't believe all I paid for this was 20 bucks!  Well worth it!

• 2696 likes this

#11 2696

Ranger 4

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:32 AM

Got one, works well. Can't believe all I paid for this was 20 bucks! Well worth it!

Great! I think I'll have to pick one up at some point too.

#12 wrvond

wrvond

Surveyor 1

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:38 AM

Great! I think I'll have to pick one up at some point too.

That's what I did - picked one up. Now I have at least four! waytogo.gif

#13 FDR

FDR

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 October 2019 - 01:26 PM

You'll want green for the best visibility. 532nm greens are very cheap, but they have infrared leak issues on most no-names and only work down to 40-50°F before they fade out. 

I'm quite happy with the Laserland type 515nm direct green (probably 14°F operating temp, no IR at all) that runs on AAAs, has a push button switch on the side, and is the size of a long pen. Assembly is a little difficult since the thread pitch is so small and shallow it easily cross threads. They're on ebay for $20 from China

In addition to people/planes being a concern, lasers are also an issue at star parties when others are trying to image. But for guiding others, they're great! Even 5mw creates a long enough beam that you'd think it's touching the star. It's a real show in high humidity with the extra scattering

I don't have experience with the Pinty. I look it up occasionally to use on my camera/mount setup though

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics