•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AVX dec gear fail?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 dkpath96

dkpath96

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 October 2019 - 07:39 PM

Thanks, mic1970, I'll keep that in mind.  I found a second gear in the same housing that was also missing a tooth, so I just ordered a whole replacement motor.

Celestron customer support replied and they want a photo of the gear(s).  I'll keep you all updated on this inquiry.

• SeaBee1 likes this

#27 mic1970

mic1970

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: St. Louis Metro Area

Posted 28 October 2019 - 09:10 AM

This may be a little nuts, but may be of interest. There is a company that will upgrade all the gears and dial in the mount to improve accuracy... in case that might interest you.

Thanks, mic1970, I'll keep that in mind.  I found a second gear in the same housing that was also missing a tooth, so I just ordered a whole replacement motor.

Celestron customer support replied and they want a photo of the gear(s).  I'll keep you all updated on this inquiry.

#28 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 28 October 2019 - 06:21 PM

I can only say that Celestron has never been able to supply me with anything other than the complete motor/gearbox/encoder assembly.  The encoder is the most common thing to go and it would be nice to just replace that, but you can't.  If they have asked for pictures of the gears, it's probably because the person you are speaking with doesn't really understand what you are talking about.  At the cost of these motor to them, it clearly doesn't make sense to keep the individual parts sitting around.

#29 dkpath96

dkpath96

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 October 2019 - 06:03 PM

Yep, they just got back to me saying that the motor assembly needed replaced.  Well, I got the new motor in and while I was there I tuned in the backlash on both motors, so I should be good to go.  

Thanks for all the help and information, everyone!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics