•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

A 45 year old Questar...

Maksutov
  • Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter
  • Loc: GA

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:49 AM

I was fortunate to find this well taken care of 1974 Questar Duplex with Cervit mirror and BB coatings. Optics and prism did needed cleaning and came out very nice.. Its not often you find a Q this old in this condition.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_5001.JPG
  • DSC_5006.JPG
  • DSC_5025.JPG

• Diego, Steve_M_M, Paul Hyndman and 23 others like this

#2 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2019 - 09:51 AM

Even the case is in good shape.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_5028.JPG
  • DSC_5031.JPG

• Neptune, R Botero, Hugh Peck and 8 others like this

#3 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:01 AM

Looks awesome. Congrats.
  • rolo likes this

#4 photiost

photiost

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:31 AM

Awesome find !!  Congrats.

• rolo likes this

#5 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mayo (Maryland)

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:33 AM

A truly beautiful scope.drool5.gif

• rolo likes this

#6 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Middle Earth

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:45 AM

That’s a lovely instrument! Nothing like the beauty, elegance, and ergonomics of a Questar.

• rolo and BFaucett like this

#7 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 20 October 2019 - 10:50 AM

Never crossed my mind to buy one.  Had the 7" once and sold it pretty fast. Looks like new for the age.

• rolo likes this

#8 Kasmos

Kasmos

Vanguard

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 20 October 2019 - 01:11 PM

Rolo, I know you’ve had some fixer uppers but you really seem to have a nack for finding really nice stuff! waytogo.gif

• rolo likes this

#9 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:12 PM

Rolo, I know you’ve had some fixer uppers but you really seem to have a nack for finding really nice stuff! waytogo.gif

I wasn't looking for one but made a somewhat low offer and it was accepted...Lucky, I guess.

• bbqediguana likes this

#10 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:29 PM

That’s a lovely instrument! Nothing like the beauty, elegance, and ergonomics of a Questar.

These scopes grow on you. On the modified Meade tripod/wedge combo it's such an easy scope to use I can carry the whole set up in to the rear deck in seconds. The views are great, the tracking is great the star test is superb and the ergonomics very nice. I wouldn't feel to comfortable investing the price of a new one but a great deal on a used Questar is hard to beat. 

• clamchip and Terra Nova like this

#11 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:32 PM

I guess i should have got one back when they were $1200 used. But i sure never had 1200 smackers in the 80's.  Most seem to go for $2500 and up these days.

#12 ccwemyss

ccwemyss

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:42 PM

Never crossed my mind to buy one.  Had the 7" once and sold it pretty fast. Looks like new for the age.

Pushing the design to 7" rather defeats the whole purpose of the tiny, complete, portable observatory concept. I've also heard people say that the 7" optics weren't that great compared to other scopes in that size or price range. 

The little Q, however, is pure pleasure to use. 

Chip W. 

• rolo, clamchip, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#13 bbqediguana

bbqediguana

Apollo

• Loc: Canada

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:44 PM

I guess i should have got one back when they were $1200 used. But i sure never had 1200 smackers in the 80's.  Most seem to go for $2500 and up these days.

I was fortunate enough to borrow a very similar Questar from a friend for a summer. At the same time, I had a Meade ETX 90/EC. Although I wouldn't be able to justify the 10x price difference based on performance alone, that Questar was such a work of art that if I had the smackers laying around, I would have bought one. 

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) for me, I'm not the type to have a lot of money, so it'll likely never happen. But I'll always treasure that one summer (2001) that I got to spend with the Mighty Q. It had the case and the field tripod and a full set of Brandons. It was a heck of a thing!

• rolo and Augustus like this

#14 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

Hubble

Posted 20 October 2019 - 05:50 PM

Pushing the design to 7" rather defeats the whole purpose of the tiny, complete, portable observatory concept. I've also heard people say that the 7" optics weren't that great compared to other scopes in that size or price range. 

The little Q, however, is pure pleasure to use. 

Chip W. 

Mine were soft and any old school 8" F/8 Newt would kill it. I only had it for 3 weeks and that was when we had real winters and it would never cool.

Edited by CHASLX200, 20 October 2019 - 05:52 PM.

#15 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:13 PM

I was fortunate enough to borrow a very similar Questar from a friend for a summer. At the same time, I had a Meade ETX 90/EC. Although I wouldn't be able to justify the 10x price difference based on performance alone, that Questar was such a work of art that if I had the smackers laying around, I would have bought one. 

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) for me, I'm not the type to have a lot of money, so it'll likely never happen. But I'll always treasure that one summer (2001) that I got to spend with the Mighty Q. It had the case and the field tripod and a full set of Brandons. It was a heck of a thing!

If you look hard eventually you'll find one for a good price. This one was the top of the line in 1974 and I got it for much less then today's  used price. 

• Terra Nova, bbqediguana and Augustus like this

#16 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Mayo (Maryland)

Posted 22 October 2019 - 07:11 AM

I remember observing with George Lovi's Questar, a beautiful instrument. Questar is truly a Classic scope.

• Terra Nova likes this

#17 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 22 October 2019 - 12:58 PM

These scopes grow on you. On the modified Meade tripod/wedge combo it's such an easy scope to use I can carry the whole set up in to the rear deck in seconds. The views are great, the tracking is great the star test is superb and the ergonomics very nice. I wouldn't feel to comfortable investing the price of a new one but a great deal on a used Questar is hard to beat. 

I could have never afforded a new one either, had not a certain beloved CN’er found me a used one in beautiful condition and at a good price that I could afford. Otherwise, I would still be without my wonderful Questar. In my opinion, they are the most perfect grab and go scope out there- a complete portable observatory in a nice piece of luggage not much bigger than a shoebox! And they do indeed grow on you. The longer you have one and use one, the more you love it for its size, perfection, and beauty!

• rolo, kansas skies and Bonco2 like this

#18 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:45 PM

Indeed. Very easy to use with all the controls at your fingertips and with three eyepieces you have six different magnifications. I like using the 1.25" Type 6 Naglers and wide-angle eyepieces too. On the Meade 884 its a sweet grab and go that I can easily carry outside fully assembled. This time around I'm keeping one, probably the 1986 beater that I'm restoring. 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_5002.JPG
  • DSC_5033.JPG
  • Meade tripod small.jpg

• astro140, R Botero, Terra Nova and 3 others like this

#19 kansas skies

kansas skies

Apollo

• Loc: The middle of nowhere, USA

Posted 22 October 2019 - 06:41 PM

You certainly have a beautiful collection of scopes. Your latest Questar is no exception. I also imagine that the '86 you're working on will be a showpiece as well. Then again, your pictures seem to really bring them to life. You definitely have a good eye for composition.

Being a newcomer to the party, I'm still caught between, "Wow - I finally own a Questar!", and "OMG, What have I done???". I recently purchased a '79 Standard pyrex model with broadband coatings. Although not pristine, it's complete and in very nice condition. It could stand being returned to Questar for a good going over, but there's really no hurry. It does exhibit a little more image shift than I like, but other than that, it seems to function beautifully. I examined the primary through the corrector using a magnifying glass and see no edge deterioration at all. I do, however, see what resembles a very light smattering of tiny dust particles on the primary. Some of these do appear to be actual dust, but most seem to be what I assume to be microscopic pinholes in the coating. They only appear when shining a strong light into the OTA, and since they don't seem to affect the quality of the image at all, I'm not too concerned at this time. Still, it prevents me from sending it to Questar just yet, as I'd like to spend some time with it or a while to see how things go. Still, I got it for a good price, so in a year or two down the road, if I see the need, I might think about sending it in for a complete optics replacement with the idea in mind that it will most likely outlast me. At this point, it easily outperforms my ETX90 in both image brightness and contrast, so I'm really not concerned with its performance.

So far, I've only used the scope in alt-az mode since I was in need of a suitable tripod. It does have the included legs, but that requires a table to set it on. I did purchase the rather ratty Meade 884 tripod JW posted a few days back, so I'll see what I can do with that. It arrived today and is setting on the floor in the other room, but I haven't even opened it as of yet (it was a very long day at work). As for the scope, that control box is worth its weight in gold. That has to be the best features of this scope. One eyepiece and I'm good to go for the night. The ability to switch back and forth between the finder and the main optics seems to create a seamless and very enjoyable viewing experience. Of course, these are things you already know, but it's all new to me. Then again, after I've had a chance to use it for awhile longer, I do think that the time has come to part with my beloved Celestron C100E and my 12" Meade SCT (along with my C8). Age related problems really are taking their toll and they are getting to be too much for me to handle. So, I probably should try to move them along to someone who will enjoy them a little more often than I'm able to do.

On a lighter note, I would like to also mention that although my wife's not thrilled with my spending money, this is the first time she's actually suggested displaying a scope in my living room. She even went so far as to create a nice place for it to reside.

Bill

• Kasmos and Augustus like this

#20 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:16 PM

Same here as far the wife liking it on display. The Queatr was to first scope that she didn't complain about having it in the living room. No kidding honey, it's a jewel, I said. 

I like my modified Meade 884/wedge combo. It's a very portable set up that's a plus for me cause of my condition.

As far as the image shift it can be adjusted and Questar has an allowable shift of around 30" seconds if I'm not mistaken. Also, I don't think that coating deteriorating at the very edge would matter cause the mirrors are oversized to 3.8", I believe. 

• Terra Nova likes this

#21 kansas skies

kansas skies

Apollo

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:38 PM

I just finished unpacking the tripod and found it to be in very solid condition, having just a bit of extra dirt and superficial rust. It should clean up like new (thanks JW!). I'm not sure how you modified your tripod mounting plate, but I was thinking of just adding a center hole and a captive bolt similar to what's there for the ETX90. Since my (or rather what was recently appropriated by my nine year old Granddaughter waytogo.gif ) ETX90 is of late vintage, it is meant to be used with this tripod. So, hopefully this tripod will serve a double-purpose.

Bill

• rolo likes this

#22 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

Hubble

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 22 October 2019 - 08:55 PM

I took the easy route with my 884:  Bought the Meade adapter plate (a disk of aluminum with the 1/4-20 bolt threaded through the middle).  I did add some felt pads to the top, so my Q's base wouldn't get scratched.  Tough assignment!

A number of folks on the Questar Forum preceded me with the Meade 884, but I had doubts about how stable it would be given its light weight.  Even without using the center brace, I've gotten the Q up to about 200x -- jitter-free focusing.  I'd say that's pretty good.  If it could only carry my C5 Astro, too...

And, the Questar feels solid on the 884 -- as good a fit as its original Davis & Sanford tripod.

Edited by Bomber Bob, 23 October 2019 - 11:50 AM.

#23 kansas skies

kansas skies

Apollo

Posted 22 October 2019 - 09:57 PM

The felt pads sound like a good idea. I was thinking about some sort of adhesive vinyl as a protective surface.

Bill

#24 rolo

rolo

Cosmos

• topic starter

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:01 PM

I just put three pieces of felt approx. 120* apart cause only the very edge of the base touches the plate.

#25 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:39 PM

Absolutely wonderful restoration Rolando! Kudos!! :bow: :bow:

• rolo likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Maksutov

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics