•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Recommendations for Pre-Processing software automation/ batch processing

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ivandn

Ivandn

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:30 PM

I've been using Pixinsight for the last 2 years and have been happy with the results. I generally have followed some tutorials online and run through the following steps with pre-processing

1) Creating Master Darks

2) Creating Master Dark Flats

3) Flat Calibration with Dark Flats

4) Creating Master Flats

5) Lights Calibration with Master Darks and Master Flats

6) Subframe selector

7) Registration

9) Master Lights 

I do these individually per filter and it gets pretty time consuming and I'm looking for options to help automate some of these steps and help repeat them for each filter. 

Is this even possible and is there any good software or combination of software that could help save time? 

#2 chongo228

chongo228

Messenger

• Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:57 PM

Have you ever tried the BPP (batch preprocessing) script? Seems like that is what you're after. 

I don't use subframe selector....I take the lazy/quick way out and just use blink to find any bad subs.

• psandelle and JukkaP like this

#3 Ivandn

Ivandn

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:10 PM

Wow, I never even realized that existed! I just googled it a bit and I'll take some time to figure it out. Jeez, I wish I looked through this a bit more. 

How does it work with Dark Flats instead of Bias frames? 

#4 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

• Loc: Houston

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:12 PM

Astro Pixel Processor will batch multiple sessions and multiple filters very easily.
  • Scott Mitchell, TimN and psandelle like this

#5 Ivandn

Ivandn

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:26 PM

Astro Pixel Processor will batch multiple sessions and multiple filters very easily.

I've heard good things about it, how does it compare to pixinisght in terms of a learning curve? 

#6 chongo228

chongo228

Messenger

• Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:28 PM

I just load my dark flats like normal darks in BPP.

#7 gatsbyiv

gatsbyiv

Viking 1

• Loc: Doylestown, PA

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:32 PM

Without a doubt, Astro Pixel Processor.  The learning curve is super easy, and it works as well or better than PI.  It really does a great job automating a lot of the tedious parts of pre-processing, so you can just give it all your files for each session and filter, then walk away and let the computer crank away on them.  And the mosaic functionality is light year ahead of PI, if you're into that.

• TimN, psandelle and Ivandn like this

#8 Ivandn

Ivandn

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2019 - 03:53 PM

Without a doubt, Astro Pixel Processor.  The learning curve is super easy, and it works as well or better than PI.  It really does a great job automating a lot of the tedious parts of pre-processing, so you can just give it all your files for each session and filter, then walk away and let the computer crank away on them.  And the mosaic functionality is light year ahead of PI, if you're into that.

I just captured my 2nd mosaic and i'm already dreading the processing. My first go at it came out with less than stellar thanks for that! I'll try give APP a with their trial.

Are there any good tutorial videos or guides that you would recommend? 

#9 gatsbyiv

gatsbyiv

Viking 1

• Loc: Doylestown, PA

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:28 PM

I just captured my 2nd mosaic and i'm already dreading the processing. My first go at it came out with less than stellar thanks for that! I'll try give APP a with their trial.

He has some tutorial videos right on the site:  https://www.astropix...ideo-tutorials/

• Ivandn likes this

#10 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Viking 1

• Loc: Houston

Posted 20 October 2019 - 08:43 PM

It's way easier than Pixinsight. There's a linear set of tabs 1-9 and you select your settings in each tab, most of the defaults are great, then hit the integration button on tab 6. I've got tutorials here.

• Scott Mitchell, psandelle and Ivandn like this

#11 TimN

TimN

Gemini

• Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 October 2019 - 10:30 AM

I agree with using APP. However, while most of the defaults are ok there is one important exception. Under Tab 6, the integration tab, there is a choice to as to how to weigh the subs. The default is Equal. A much better choice is to choose Quality. This weighs each sub by its Quality score. The Quality Score is based on noise, star density, star size and star shape. This gives the best result for noise and sharpness combined. There are other choices that may be appropriate to your individual case - but never Equal. Don't know why its his default. 

• Joe G, psandelle, gatsbyiv and 2 others like this

#12 Ivandn

Ivandn

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 October 2019 - 09:00 PM

It's way easier than Pixinsight. There's a linear set of tabs 1-9 and you select your settings in each tab, most of the defaults are great, then hit the integration button on tab 6. I've got tutorials here.

Thanks for sharing the tutorials! I'm going through it right now and its very helpful. Having multi-session, multi-filter, multi-panel images is a bit of a small organizational nightmare but this helps keeps things a little straight. 

I agree with using APP. However, while most of the defaults are ok there is one important exception. Under Tab 6, the integration tab, there is a choice to as to how to weigh the subs. The default is Equal. A much better choice is to choose Quality. This weighs each sub by its Quality score. The Quality Score is based on noise, star density, star size and star shape. This gives the best result for noise and sharpness combined. There are other choices that may be appropriate to your individual case - but never Equal. Don't know why its his default. 

Great tip! Thanks!

• Lead_Weight likes this

#13 maxmir

maxmir

Ranger 4

• ***--

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:16 AM

I find the PI BPP easier and faster than Astropixel processer.  I own both.

Once I load my images , I can create all calibration masters frames and cal, register and integrate lights with one click. 

I blink images 1st to remove bad frames like Chango228. Never found much benefit with subframe selector.

You can reuse the master cals.

There is a new update with a separate BPP script that automates subframe selector as part of the batch.

Looks the sames but has  a few minor extra features in addition to subframes selection such as saving the most recent images from the last run.

I just started playing with it.

I recommend the standard BPP script first. Subframe selection is still too slow but  I may end using the new script with subframe selector turned off.

Max

• midnightlightning likes this

#14 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 03 December 2019 - 09:20 AM

>>>>>> I've heard good things about it, [Astropixel Processor]  how does it compare to pixinisght in terms of a learning curve?

The suggestion to go to APP instead of PixInsight because you did not know about Batch Pre Processing means that you really need to know how it compares to PI in terms of that one script only. And, really, if you have, for some time, been following the process you describe in the first post, you are much better sticking with PI and using its BPP rather than learning a whole new package. 

Check out the "PixInsight and a Loaf of Bread" tutorial linked to in my signature--at least the early part about BPP. YOu do not, apparently, need the rest.

Alex

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics