•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Illuminator for Bausch & Lomb Dynavision Phase Contrast Microscope

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jomar

Jomar

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:21 PM

First of all let me say I'm thrilled that CN has a microscope forum.  I recently took up astronomy after being interested my whole life.  A terrific CN'er took a lot of time out to explain things and really helped me get started.  Finally at 56 y.o. I am absolutely enjoying my first telescope but probably would have given up out of frustration if it weren't for the help.  

My 14 y.o. son is interested in biomed and science in general.  He was asking me for a microscope and I found a used Bausch and Lomb phase contrast microscope.  Missing was the illuminator which goes at the base of the scope (see cylindrical void in photo).  I believe the scope is a Dynavision based on an article I found along with an owners manual.

I was wondering if Cloudy Days has a classified where I may be able to find a used illuminator.  Or perhaps someone could suggest a DIY solution for lighting the field.   I think the original illuminator is shown in the attached screenshot along with a diode-type replacement which looks like it has a huge transformer with cooling fins.  I'm assuming it may be an older technology replacement.

I see some modern day illuminators have a dedicated power supply and can cost several hundred dollars.  I also saw 18 Watt replacement bulbs for the Bausch and Lomb scope on Amazon for $30ish so I'm a little confused.  Is there something I'm missing?  Is the light source more complex than just "X" watts at the frequencies of incandescent light or "Y" watts at led frequencies?  Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• thumbnail-1.jpeg
  • thumbnail-3.jpeg
  • thumbnail.jpeg
  • thumbnail-2.jpeg
  • illuminator.jpg

#2 Hugh Peck

Hugh Peck

Apollo

• Loc: NE WI

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:40 PM

Hey, I don't know any more than you as I just got my first microscope but this might help:

https://www.microsco...mb_Dynoptic.pdf

#3 Jomar

Jomar

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:32 AM

Thanks, Hugh.  That's really good information.  It also shows the elusive illuminator and power supply I will need to reproduce/substitute.  Greatly appreciated!  waytogo.gif   

#4 Hugh Peck

Hugh Peck

Apollo

• Loc: NE WI

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:44 AM

Wow! That actually helped!?! That's pretty amazing. Since I know next to nothing about microscopes I was just guessing. 

One nice thing, I've finally gotten my good deed for the year out of way. grin.gif  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics